Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sat Nav DVD Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:37 PM
jam09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sat Nav DVD Location

I'm searching for the Nav DVD location in a 2009 DB9. I don't find it on the 'upper left corner' of the boot. And sorry I haven't found a reference to where it is in the posts. Can anyone let me know?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
Check behind the carpeted panel under the drivers side rear seat.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Thumbs up Many thanks to Timodc - DB9 Nav

Thank you VERY much Timodc !
That's where it is.

Next question - should there be a disc inside?
I believe my '09 is a HDD system, but someone told me the DVD should also be there. -- I pulled down the player door, but no disc exited the player.

I'm just about to buy updated Volvo DVD's and was hoping I'd see what DVD was presently installed (The nav system does work now).

Any ideas about this?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Tried posting a reply earlier - maybe did something wrong.

THANK YOU Timodc for your quick and accurate response. I did find the unit.
Next two questions, if you have time.
1. I didn't find a DVD in the Nav DVD player, although the Nav system works. I was led to believe that even in the HDD system a DVD was needed in the player. Any thoughts?
2. Where is the Nav Brain location - i.e. the location where the the cable is output to the lcd screen.
3. Related to 2 - Has anyone installed a Navtool device in the DB9 ?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 AM
FYI - I went through the update procedure with a DVD for a Volvo XC90 and it seemed to work fine. It took about 3 hours.

I'm guessing that when the system is factory installed, it doesn't need a DVD in the drive, but it might need it after an update. I haven't tried taking it out yet.

Still would like to know - does anyone know if this DVD drive ALSO is the sat/nav computer/HDD unit??

Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Guess I'm just continuing this thread to myself. I suppose there isn't much interest in the sat nav aspect of DB9s of this vintage. Or no one wants to offer any more info. (One might note that this is relevant if one wants to add a reversing camera or other features.) Well anyway, I've kept at it myself and I've confirmed that the DVD player under the rear seat is NOT the sat/nav brain. The brain is actually BEHIND the rear seat and IN FRONT of the boot (NOT in the boot) in a sort of limbo region. It's like in a Tardis because you didn't know there was actually more space there. You have to remove the boot covers, and there is an aluminum well, which you also remove (fits my power conditioner and tyre fixer). I've tried to include some photos - hopefully that will be successful.
Photo 1 - Back of Sat Nav DVD player
Photo 2 - Where the Sat Nav DVD player sits - in the rear seat - the only thing that can fit there.
Photo 3 - The entrance to the Tardis (aluminum well in the boot)
Photo 4 - Inside the Tardis - So much space borrowed from other bigger cars.

Attached Images     
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey...I read your thread...lol...I have 09 but vantage.
I would bet many have read but feel you got your answer from Timdoc...

Hang in there this group can be rough on people at times...
Nice pics...I appreciated your time! Evening

Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Hi Aldv - thanks for reading and for your comments. Much appreciated !

I guess my plans are growing and the first answer I got just led me to the next steps. Each step has it's own challenges and more questions. It's like going to a nice beach planet only to have to fight the Daleks again . Well - winning is good then too .

Part of the challenge is how to structure this type of posting within this forum to get appropriate input. For now I'm just continuing the stream of consciousness even if there are multiple elements.

Now that I've found the navigation brain and know how it connects to the LCD screen I'm now trying to figure out how to add a back-up camera to the system and maybe smartphone mirroring. There are a few challenges here.
1. What interfaces should/can be used?
2. Where to mount the camera?
3. What will need to be reset after (if) the battery terminals are disconnected?

Regarding 1: I thought I liked the NAVTOOL interface. I couldn't find much info on this forum or from other end-users. I did have an exchange of messages until this one:

My questions:
1. Do you provide support for people who do not do installations for a living?
2. Do you provide support for product operation after installation?

Their response (the most words they strung together in some messages)
"first answer is no
second answer is yes"

So NAVTOOL is out for now. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS???

Of course the other part of the challenge is identifying the appropriate wiring connections. It should be straightforward to find the reverse wire, but finding the e-brake wire (if indeed that would be needed instead of a ground) and accessory wire in the boot means either help or getting the wiring diagram. (Which I will soon try to do.)

Regarding 2: I've read the nice post about the DBS, but that situation seems much different than mine. The challenge here is that there seems to be an addition on my DB9 between the license plate lights on which the plate mounts. I'll put in a couple of photos later. This sticks out from the lid so that there is no lip above the license plate. So there are two options (?maybe?) one is to replace that plate mount - but then there is no material in that lip and I don't know what to replace it with. Another is to find another place to mount the camera. Following the boot lid downwards to a place where the angle does not point up there are a couple of possibilities. (Again - I will add pictures). But those require access from that location to the inside of the boot. If someone knows if that's possible let me know. (I suppose it is because the parking sensors are near there.)

Regarding 3: I've read that all that will be needed is to reset the clock. The ECU and Nav and radio settings should all be okay, but I'd like confirmation if someone can do that?

I'll update with more photos and as the projects evolves.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The Navigation DVD/HDD unit is the output to the screen. You have found the audio amplifier in the LH rear. If you disconnect the battery you will need to reset not only the clock but windows, possibly seats, exterior mirrors to fold on lock(dealer item) and misfire corrections.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 PM
J doubleU - Thanks very much for the valuable info. I'll really have to think twice before I disconnect the battery now.

As for the audio amplifier, thanks - great point. I didn't know that the audio system in the DB9 is ALSO from VOLVO. I was told that the DVD player unit connectors where not the ones the interface unit used to connect to the LCD screen, so I'm a bit confused now/again/still. (And that also means I still don't know where the "Navigation Brain" is. So now back to the drawing board.

I uploaded two more photos regarding my reversing camera positioning dilemma.
a) Is there another plate adapter that will give me back the lip?
b) Are any of the two places I circled possible to install a low profile camera that will be able to be wired into the boot?

Attached Images   

Last edited by jam09; 07-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Quick update.
Found this great post - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tallation.html
Basically strengthening the case to replace the plate adapter.

Everything has a caveat though . Below are two photos. The first is the open section of the lip hidden by the plate adapter in my DB9 - note the plate there. The second photo is from the link above in the same section of that DBS. Well the holes don't really matter if you're only going to install the original part that belongs in that space, but if you also want to reinstall the original lights/boot switch, then you have to be sure it's the holes will match.

So the next two questions that arise. Should I fabricate a new plate holder to get a more vertical angle to the plate (Federal regs?) ? And a quick look did not turn up a loose connector for the boot switch that was obvious. Need to find it (could that have not been installed knowing that it was a US car?).

By the way - I'm still trying to get a definitive answer to where a backup camera interface would connect. If it's the DVD player as indicated in an earlier post, then one would need some longer wiring, since the subwoofer sits above the DVD player with virtually no space for another module. If it's the amplifier in the Tardis section, no problem. Obviously this has been done before - come on guys - where does it go?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DB9 Boot outer lip 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	480132  
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:15 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
There are many iPhone mirroring solutions out there, I installed the Naviks.com system in my V8V and it works like a charm. If you need any info about it I am happy to help.
Cheers
Christian

Old 07-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Thank you GDay2 !
I'll check it out. I'll have to learn what 'wireless' means since I'm an Android user and they've stopped the HDMI mirroring capability after the Galaxy 6. I'm looking into it and I appreciate your advice !

Old 07-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Funny - missed it the first time. Your tag is GDay, but you're from Austria not Australia !

Old 07-16-2017, 01:52 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jam09
Funny - missed it the first time. Your tag is GDay, but you're from Austria not Australia !
Right and wrong I am Australien citizen living in Austria G'Day is a typical Australien greeting and I have it also on my license plates. So I guess it makes sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sat Nav DVD Location