Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New to me 2007 V8 Vantage...and a question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 01:35 PM
cbj5259 will become famous soon enough
New to me 2007 V8 Vantage...and a question?

Hi all! Just recently picked up a 2007 V8 Vantage with a little over 7000 miles. Got a PPI done and everything checked out fine considering its a 15 year old car. Two things that I've picked up on that I have questions about. There are two body colored trim pieces on either side of the rear license plate that seem to be, for lack of a better word...wiggly. Is this normal? I didn't want to futz around with them too much but it looks like they are removable in some way. My other question is that I noticed that when I open my driver's door there seems to be an auto down function that lowers the window a small fraction, however this function doesn't seem to activate on the passenger door when it's opened and closed. The window clears the body and trim but barely. Any information on either or both questions would be greatly appreciated! Pictures of car and the trim pieces I'm talking about attached.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:42 PM
christopherlem is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your purchase - the look on the woman's face says it all!
In regards to #2 - see this post:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dow-reset.html

Old 06-03-2022, 01:44 PM
LuvBurninFuel will become famous soon enough
Your owners manual has instructions to reset your window drop. I believe the bumper will need to be removed to tighten or replace the covers in back. Behind them are 2 aluminum impact extrusions that are riveted to the frame.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
Congrats and welcome..hope it’s a simple fix for ya..sounds like it should be..cheers

Old 06-03-2022, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by LuvBurninFuel
Your owners manual has instructions to reset your window drop. I believe the bumper will need to be removed to tighten or replace the covers in back. Behind them are 2 aluminum impact extrusions that are riveted to the frame.
Ah, ok...thanks for the info. I'm assuming any competent body shop should be able to handle this or should I go to an Aston specific place?

Old 06-03-2022, 04:27 PM
LuvBurninFuel will become famous soon enough
You know it's been quite awhile since I removed and replaced the bumper. Phone your dealers service department. You might be able to snap them off and replace with new ones, they are cheap, you will just need to have painted to match.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:34 PM
sxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond reputesxates has a reputation beyond repute
I remember seeing this one for sale when I was looking at buying mine - super clean example, congrats!

Old 06-03-2022, 04:38 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
if you don't have a jack and jack stands or don't want to bend over to get under the car the only option is to take it to a garage. i would trust (as long as i was standing there) just about any competent mechanic tighten them up, assuming it's just a nut or two. but if you take it to an aston dealership you'll be bending over whether you want to or not.

i suspect those pads are removable to accommodate the wide english and european license plates. it's possible the car was recently in europe. who knows?

and i think the amount the window moves is determined by an automatic "learning" process, and will depend on a number of factors. some may not have to move at all.

Last edited by 61mga; 06-03-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by 61mga
if you don't have a jack and jack stands or don't want to bend over to get under the car the only option is to take it to a garage. i would trust (as long as i was standing there) just about any competent mechanic tighten them up, assuming it's just a nut or two. but if you take it to an aston dealership you'll be bending over whether you want to or not.

i suspect those pads are removable to accommodate the wide english and european license plates. it's possible the car was recently in europe. who knows?

and i think the amount the window moves is determined by an automatic "learning" process, and will depend on a number of factors. some may not have to move at all.
I did the window reset procedure listed in the manual and all works fine now!

There is an indy Aston mechanic/restoration shop near me that is probably more reasonable than the closest dealership which is well over an hour away. I may have them look at those bumper inserts. Honestly, it looks like they have been "wiggly" for a while so may just leave them be. The car came from Florida and prior to that was in Puerto Rico. It's a one prior owner car.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:20 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
why does everybody else's vantage look shinier than mine? *shoulder slump"

Old 06-04-2022, 06:03 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 61mga
why does everybody else's vantage look shinier than mine? *shoulder slump"
I know you you feel (smile)

Old 06-04-2022, 07:07 AM
Marmot is an unknown quantity at this point
But then everyone else thinks your Aston is shinier than theirs too...