Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replaced gas cap - now fuel door stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 01:15 PM
sliderule01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced gas cap - now fuel door stuck

OK - I have been getting low leak emission errors for a while on my 2007 DB9 Volante. Replaced the purge valve, some piping/tubing, and the code kept coming back after it reset (and passed emissions). Previously the code was P0442, now the code in P0456 low emission leak. Not knowing what else to do, I changed my gas cap. Since the AM ones are unobtainium, I tried the forums, and found that the Land Rover #LR053665 gas cap would fit. I ordered one on Amazon, and replaced it. I removed the tether with a torx bit on the screw near the hinge. I installed the gas cap and I put the screw back into place and shut the fuel door. Realizing that I didn't clean the fuel neck with solvent first, so I went to open the fuel door with the button under the dash. Nothing happened. So I go to the trunk, and pull on the loop on the left side of the car, under the fuel cap. Nothing happened. Now I can not get the fuel door opened. Luckily, I have about 3/4 tank of gas in the tank.

What did I do wrong, and how do I open the fuel door? I think I pulled the proper handle.

Thanks

Scott

Old 11-11-2023, 01:55 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
There is a spring plate tab that is attached by aT-30 screw you removed for the tether cable. It may have come displaced.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:57 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
Can try pulling the handle and using a credit card edge to lift it clear…mine was reluctant when I first got it…had to do that every time I filled up…very cool…finally got the adjustment right..all good…hope it helps ..cheers

Old 11-11-2023, 02:19 PM
Thank you Import - I was able to get the fuel cap door opened. At least that is one issue resolved. Now it is a matter of adjusting it to work.

Now one thing I noticed, is there is what appears to be a drain hole to the lower left of the gas cap. In that hole, there appears to be some sort of rubber plug that wasn't seated. Could this be my low leak issue?

Last edited by sliderule01; 11-11-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:05 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
That’s a good question…not sure..take your time adjusting the flap…ther are prone to breaking…I added a small amount of silicone grease to the pin..just to ease the movement…I’ll check under my flap later and see what the deal is…lol

Old 11-11-2023, 09:31 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The rubber snubber is what was attached to the fuel door that allows that spring to open. If you look at the door there's a tab that aligns with said tab. Superglue that rubber that you found to that tab.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:43 PM
I will have to look at it and see where it goes. It almost fell into that hole, which I assume is a drain for excess fuel. I will try and remove it and glue it into place.

Old 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
If someone could take a picture of their Volante open fuel door so I can see where that rubber plug fits, so I can glue mine back on, that would be a big help. Either DM me or post it here for everyone.

Thanks

Scott