Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Need Help!! Will Staggered wheels work on S4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
rzundel will become famous soon enough
Need Help!! Will Staggered wheels work on S4?

I just picked up an B6 S4 and looking to change out the wheels. I like the look of the staggered 19x8.5/9.5 set up. however, I get conflicting information regarding will they work and/or cause damage to my car? I would be putting 235/35/19 in front and 265/30/19 in rear. The total wheel/tire diameter is near identical. What would be the issue here? I don't know what the difference would be to the staggered setup on my C4S Porsche? It is also an all wheel drive car.

I could use your help?

Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Those rears will probably not fit.

And by probably, I mean most likely.

And by most likely, I mean won't.

Why staggered, just the look? There is really no performance gain (no one has been able to run faster times with wider rears) and you lose the ability to fully rotate the tires (which these really benefit from).

Old 09-11-2008, 03:34 AM
I realize that there is no performance gain. It is primarily the look. What is your basis for saying it will not work? I have seen several S4's with the staggered set up. Am I really screwing things up or is it simply "odd" to go with a staggered set up for an Audi all wheel drive? I'm new to the Audi game. I come from the Porsche, BMW world.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 AM
SAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura about
The traction control system on the Quattro system works off of wheel speed sensors... even alittle difference could mean ABS or Traction control errors, etc... If you can keep the same front to rear rolling diameter, you could be ok.

Steve

Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
It's simply odd to go staggered when there is no real gain (heavier rotating mass makes the car slower, so there's a loss to be had I guess)

If you plan on lowering the car at all, a 265 rear (for many brands of tire, but they aren't all exactly the same) is to wide. Most people going with a wider rear go with a 255.

Whatever you do, post pics.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Carrera305 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rzundel
I just picked up an B6 S4 and looking to change out the wheels. I like the look of the staggered 19x8.5/9.5 set up. however, I get conflicting information regarding will they work and/or cause damage to my car? I would be putting 235/35/19 in front and 265/30/19 in rear. The total wheel/tire diameter is near identical. What would be the issue here? I don't know what the difference would be to the staggered setup on my C4S Porsche? It is also an all wheel drive car.

I could use your help?
The S4 and C4S are both AWD but use competely different systems. The S4 uses a Torsen center differential which can handle a 1% or less split in rolling diameters front to rear. The Porsche (like all other mid and rear engine AWD cars) uses a viscous system. That can handle a 3% - 5% rolling diameter difference front to rear.

Running a staggered setup on the S4 would be akin to running wider tires on the front and narrower on the rear of your Porsche. Not really a wise decision. If you ever drive in a spirited manner you will have severe understeer.

So is it possible for "looks" yes, but not the greatest idea.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
NotEvenAllowed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Carrera305
The S4 and C4S are both AWD but use competely different systems. The S4 uses a Torsen center differential which can handle a 1% or less split in rolling diameters front to rear. The Porsche (like all other mid and rear engine AWD cars) uses a viscous system. That can handle a 3% - 5% rolling diameter difference front to rear.

Running a staggered setup on the S4 would be akin to running wider tires on the front and narrower on the rear of your Porsche. Not really a wise decision. If you ever drive in a spirited manner you will have severe understeer.

So is it possible for "looks" yes, but not the greatest idea.
Exactly, running differently sized (diameter) tires/wheels on an AWD Audi is really bad for the center differential. All the S4s (now most of my experience is with the B5) that run offset rears are either show cars (that are never driven) or use differently sized tires on the back to keep the diameters the same.

Either way, your better off just getting the same sized wheels. The cars understeer enough as it is

Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 AM
There's a bit of push, but that's easily corrected with an RS4 sway bar set.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
HackerS4 is on a distinguished road
Let me set this straight. There is NO harm in running staggered setups as long as the overall diameter front to rear is less that 1% difference. Now, with that said, personally I think it is a moronic choice. For looks, fine. But for handling, the car already understeers, now you're going to throw an even wider tire on the rear which will induce even more understeer? Just going to really screw up the handling dynamics. I always tell people on the Audis, if you're going to run a wider wheel in the back, run a proportionally wider wheel in the front to maintain the handling dynamics. In my opinion, and what my current setup is, run the 8.5" all around. So long answer short, with the right offsets an tire sizes it will work, but I wouldn't do it for handling reasons.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you can run staggered as long as the rolling diameter is the same. 265 might not fit on the rear, you will have to have the fender rolled.

While it may look nice, the car will handle like POOP! Audi's have the engine about 12in in front of the front axel, so it's like a 911 in reverse. They have a big tendency to understeer, badly. Then if you put bigger wheels in back, it will make this much worse.

IMHO, if you got to go staggered, get a coil over suspension with stiffer rear springs, & add a rear sway bar. If not, the car will go great, just not turn well at all.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I appreciate everyone's input to this topic. It appears that I potentially give up more than what I gain in appearance. Thanks for the feedback.