Sponsored By:

A5...underpowered?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM
niqui is on a distinguished road
A5...underpowered?

Hi,
I was originally in search of an s5 to my color specs with an auto trans, however, without any luck, I was wondering if the A5 is even worth considering, as there are quite a few available with auto trans and well-optioned....but does it have enough oomph? for someone that likes aggressive driving, but not insane...well
thks

Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
A5 is just as good as an S5... depending on what you want to use the car for?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:20 AM
as a daily driver...but i do enjoy power and quick pick-up...would you say its noticeably slower? amd less responsive, this would be bought in tip...

Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 AM
jerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud of
If you want a high level of responsiveness the A5 will not be enough. For the matter, I felt my S5 was a bit underpowered.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
compared to lets say a new m3...with lowish torque, which would feel more responsive do you think>

Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Based on performance numbers alone, M3 will be faster and more responsive than the S5. If you are seeking performance, stay tuned for the new RS5 (debut in Jan 09 in Detroit).

Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 AM
humveelat is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sbkim
Based on performance numbers alone, M3 will be faster and more responsive than the S5. If you are seeking performance, stay tuned for the new RS5 (debut in Jan 09 in Detroit).
I agree to this...

Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 PM
jerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by niqui
compared to lets say a new m3...with lowish torque, which would feel more responsive do you think>
compared to the new m3...the old m3...335i coupe...

The S5 does not feel responsive, period. A good sports car must be sensitive enough to user inputs that it just about feels like it is predicting what you want to do without feeling twitchy. BMW's across the board nail this, Audi's S5 doesn't.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:53 PM
got it...then thats out.
just the quattro was a nice plus...anyways good luck getting one in montreal, plus i would happily take an rs5...it will easily be over a 100k here, and for me i would rather take a 911 at that price range...or an m5.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Raydius is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by niqui
got it...then thats out.
just the quattro was a nice plus...anyways good luck getting one in montreal, plus i would happily take an rs5...it will easily be over a 100k here, and for me i would rather take a 911 at that price range...or an m5.
For its spec and price range, I think the A5 is surprisingly peppy -- easily more 'eager' feeling than the much more powerful G37 Coupe. Once you get to the S5, you tend to compare it with better cars, so yes, I agree that it feels slow in that regard. Power is definitely not Audi's trump card.

However, make sure you actually sit in and drive the other cars. To me, the interior and styling made up for the lack of power -- plus you could always modify it.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 PM
switchface will become famous soon enough
When you start to option the A5 you get so close to the S5 that it makes the jump up seem like a no brainer (to me at least).

As for its responsiveness vs the M3, I dont think it is trying to be as 'edgy' in the handling department. I wrote a long review on Audizine about the differences of the S5 vs the 335 right after my test drives. I feel the S5 is more of a GT cruiser that gobbles up the highway miles in style, whereas the M3 is more of a track tuned car for the road.

I honestly feel the S5 is equipped to compete more with the 6 series than the M3/335...but this thread is about the A5, so im wandering off topic.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
A4RingedONE8T is on a distinguished road
As said, the S5 is underpowered to say the least, the A5 is well, really slow!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by switchface

I honestly feel the S5 is equipped to compete more with the 6 series than the M3/335...but this thread is about the A5, so im wandering off topic.
I had much the same conclusion, except the 6 series still has at its heart a performance soul. The S5 just doesn't feel that way. Say what you want about its intent being a GT cruiser (again, I agree and said the same thing), a 2 door V8 is advertising a performance dynamic that is missing in the S5.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:05 AM
InTTruder is on a distinguished road
Having driven a 328xi, C300 4-Matic, an A5, an A5 S-line, and a few other semi-exotics recently, the S-line is a nice GT. It is NOT a sports car per se, so get the right mindset. If you want an canyon assasin, get a 3.2 TT-S or a new M or 335. If you want a serious GT, the S-line A5 is a great drive that gobbles up miles of asphalt at great speed with excellent handling overall.

A5
265hp/243tq/3737 pounds wet
S5
354hp/325tq/3891 pounds wet

328i coupe
230hp/200tq/3351 pounds wet
335i (kin to S5)
300hp/300tq/3571 pounds wet

M3
414hp/296tq/3704 pounds wet
RS5 (none seen, but press data)
335kW (~470hp)/650nM(~480tq)/~3900 pounds

Now that you can see apples and oranges, the A5 and S5 stack up very well compared to their "near equivalent) BMW. The M3 wins the HP contest hands down, but the RS5 is closer in feel to the M3 than the S5. The S5 whacks the 335i squarely on the nose.

You decide. Stop bench-racing and go drive each of them. Each is a fabulous car (and the inside of the BMW is 90s cheezy IMO). Be happy with either: you'll get a great experience.

Last edited by InTTruder; 10-15-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Just the facts ma'am!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
you might also want to consider the 'old' rs4...not a coupe, but it will be faster and likely handle better than the a5 or s5...or wait for the upcoming s4, that looks promising as well. gl.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.