Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My impressions after 1 week R8V10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
guod is on a distinguished road
My impressions after 1 week R8V10

I’ve had my car for a week now and wanted to give my impressions. Only plan right now is to change the wheels to stock V10 Y-spokes

Background info
I’ll start by admitting I’m not a good driver by any means. My first sporty car was a 2006 Cayman S last March. It was my first manual car (had 3 lessons on another car, then learned from there on the Cayman). The cayman CPO warranty would be up next Spring so I ended up placing an order for an R8 V8 to be delivered later this year but then came across a used V10 for similar price… had to test drive it immediately and I was SOLD! Big thanks to my sales guy for helping to cancel the original order so I could get the V10!! Unfortunately, I haven’t driven many other cars so I can’t offer real comparisons except to the cayman.

Summary: WOW!!
I’ll start with a summary so you can skip the boring details. Overall, all I can say is WOW! This car is everything I could’ve asked for in a car, and more! The acceleration is out of this world, the sound is intoxicating – not so loud that it would be obnoxious… just perfect. It’s also quiet enough at low RPM that you can slowly cruise if required. It’s super comfortable and the ride quality is superb… leagues ahead of the Cayman. The fit and finish is top notch. Love the gated shifter. The brakes are insanely powerful too.

Interior
I have the full leather package with some CF trim and it is amazing. Every surface feels and looks amazing. The gated shifter is really neat and the sound is awesome! I miss a few shifts here and there but it’s worth it It has B&O sound with an aftermarket Audison amplifier and is by far the best sound system I’ve heard in any car… unfortunately I don’t really feel like listening to it very often hah! I’ve never used the shelf behind the seats yet but there seems to be space for a few small items. Front trunk seems similar size to Cayman and can fit some groceries etc

Comfort
This car is VERY comfortable. I’m average size at 6’ and fit without any issues. My taller friends also find it much more spacious than the Cayman. I have the leather seats which fit perfectly as well. Getting in/out is a bit of a hassle since it’s so low. Also, due to it being low I find I need to open the doors quite wide to get out comfortably.

Driving
Power!! (nothing more to say)

The revs on this car go up/down WAY faster than the Cayman. When accelerating it feels like the revs accelerate with the car! I can’t believe how quickly it reaches redline. All my up shifts were slow at first because I was used to the Cayman.

The car really feels like it’s stuck on the road. The cayman handles well, but this car puts it to shame. I can easily make turns at much higher speed and feel more stable than in the cayman. The brakes are super powerful. I felt like a beginner driver again with jerky stops during the test drive and even now sometimes when I forget how good they are.

The sound as I said before is out of this world. The perfect sound for a car IMO

The car draws a lot of attention - much more than the cayman. Personal choice whether this is good or bad.

Negatives
I think this has ruined every future car for me

I’m sure I missed things, so any questions just ask!

And of course photos… some from dealer, some my own:

Here are two sample photos I found (not my car) with V10 wheels

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Great review man and cool that u picked the manual!
The R8 hasn`t aged one bit since it was released in 2007 imho.
It`s pure sex on wheels and as u said it´s fast but still pretty comfortable.
and the sound of a V10 is one of the best money can buy.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Nice - I like the TT-RS wheels on the R8.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM
5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough
Congrats. I also like the RS5 wheels better then the Y spokes.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Great review and Congrats on the car.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Jamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the rough
Congrats on the new car and thanks for the review.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
ssc4s will become famous soon enoughssc4s will become famous soon enough
Enjoy the car, change the wheels. : )

Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor
Kai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant future
The wheels look good IMO. Which option is that or is that special order? Enjoy it! Time to twin turbo it

Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by Kai@ELITEMS
The wheels look good IMO. Which option is that or is that special order? Enjoy it! Time to twin turbo it
It's the "Rotor wheels" option. I think they are standard on the RS5 but now available every other Audi model from A3 to A8.

I've always loved the V10 Y-spokes so it's just a matter of finding a set

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I really like the R8's but when I checked it out the legroom was just a tad short for my 6-2 legs. I'm thinking about suffering and getting one anyway. It's just the best of all worlds. Easy to drive, luxury, sport, comfort, fast and hot looking. I was more comfortable in the S5 but it does not have the sexiness of the R8.

Congrats on getting the car. Did you change wheels yet? I hope not.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by ice350
I really like the R8's but when I checked it out the legroom was just a tad short for my 6-2 legs. I'm thinking about suffering and getting one anyway. It's just the best of all worlds. Easy to drive, luxury, sport, comfort, fast and hot looking. I was more comfortable in the S5 but it does not have the sexiness of the R8.

The wheels will be swapped, it's just a matter of time! I'm really not a fan of rotors...

Did you try playing around with the seat and tilting it back? I found the seating height/angle a bit odd at first compared to the cayman - I felt I was a bit too high up relative to the dash, but I guess you get used to it. I tilted the seat back a bit and I have TONS of leg room at 6'. My seat is quite a bit farther forward than my 6'4 passenger so someone could easily have more leg room. The car is really spacious. The dead pedal also felt a lot closer than on the cayman, so my leg felt a bit uncomfortable on that, but now I'm used to everything and it feels normal

Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by guod
The wheels will be swapped, it's just a matter of time! I'm really not a fan of rotors...

Did you try playing around with the seat and tilting it back? I found the seating height/angle a bit odd at first compared to the cayman - I felt I was a bit too high up relative to the dash, but I guess you get used to it. I tilted the seat back a bit and I have TONS of leg room at 6'. My seat is quite a bit farther forward than my 6'4 passenger so someone could easily have more leg room. The car is really spacious. The dead pedal also felt a lot closer than on the cayman, so my leg felt a bit uncomfortable on that, but now I'm used to everything and it feels normal
I agree with changing the wheels, I just think the ones on it look better than the y-spokes. I'd put a nice set of ADV1's on it....or something really nice. What you like is really all that matters though.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 AM
V-10 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ice350

Maybe your legs are slightly longer than mine but i'm 6' 3" and the R8 is the most comfortable sports car I've owned.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by V-10
Maybe your legs are slightly longer than mine but i'm 6' 3" and the R8 is the most comfortable sports car I've owned.
I think it must be a seating adjustment issue... there's no way his legs can be THAT long

I wasn't going to drive in the rain/bad weather etc, but the car is so comfortable and easy to drive I just broke all my rules and drive it to get groceries etc! LOVE IT!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Excellent review.

I've narrowed my next car purchase down to an R8 (most likely). But for now, I can only see a V8 in my future. I'd like a V10 (who wouldn't?), but the prices are keeping them at bay.

In your opinion, how much of the driving experience is enhanced by the V10 model (and all of the options that it comes with)?

Also - because I anticipate sharing this car with the wife, R-tronic is in my future (eagerly awaiting the dual clutch transmission).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My impressions after 1 week R8V10