Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

DICE Install: A Basic 'How To'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:42 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
DICE Install: A Basic 'How To'

Am leaving the below for the 'long way around'. There appears to be a simple pair of small 'tools' that you stick on both sides of the CD changer that pushes in the side 'fingers' in and then the CD changer will easily slide out. Probably takes all of 10 seconds using that method. But if you have PLENTY of time on your hands and love to take things apart as i do....

---------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT
I WILL NOT BE SUBJECTED TO ANY WARRANTY OR CLAIMED LIABILITY. You do this AT YOUR OWN RISK AND TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY.

When unscrewing or screwing in things, NEVER be a 'gorilla' and nice and snug tightening is fine. Maybe 1/8th turn after it is just about fully tight. DO NOT BE A GORILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There may be typos below. i am human.

Tools Needed:

2.5 and 3 Allen

Torx 20 (normal bit Plus YOU MUST HAVE a 3.5-inch dedicated (see pic below)

Torx 25 (normal bit)

A body capable of being a contortionist. If you have back problems DO NOT try this at home!!!!

DICE unit is the I-VW-T/5V

Suggested clothes: Sweat pants and a t-shirt. NOTHING with rivits, NO buckles, etc and remove ALL jewelry. You will be sliding and moving on the leather and carpet in positions only a contorsionist would normally attempt.

THIS IS THE LONG WAY AROUND, see top of this post for a much faster, easier and less risky way of removing the CD changer.

First empty the glove box and remove all discs from the navigation and CD changer. We will be removing the CD changer in full and place all the DICE bits and iPod in that now empty 'cubby hole'.

Remove the very bottom black coloured 'facade' that has many holes for the floor/foot heater. This is underneath the glove box and just above where the passenger's toes would be. It is held by two screws (Torx 25 i think) and look for the two diagonal indents on the plastic facade that holds the black piece in place. BE CAREFUL once the screws are out as when you GENTLY pull the facade out as there ARE A PAIR OF WIRES that is connected to a light on the facade. Remove the bit that electrically attaches to the light assembly by moving the holding bits outward.

Remove glove box. This entails removing the left and right side black circles that keeps the glove on on 'track' as it the glove box goes up (stored) and down (open position). Also remove the right and left part that each has a black wire that 'holds' the glove box open and also gently lets the glove box go downward. These wires will kinda snap back into the car, do not worry as this is normal.

The black facade that you removed, now you see FOUR Torx 25 screws as this holds the bottom of the glove box. Once you remove those BE CAREFUL REMOVING THE GLOVE BOX as there is another pair of wires for the glove box light. Remove the attaching light wires bit just as you did with the black floor facade light. Now the glove box should be free to be removed.

Removing the CD player and NAV assembly.
REMEMBER TO HAVE ALL DISCS OUT OF THE UNITS

There are three Torx 20 screws in the front and three in the rear. Trust me here, you need the 3.5-inch Torx 20 tool bit as photoed below or you may never get the rear 'hidden' screws out. The front is easy, i'd remove the right and left and loosen the front centre one. The rear ones are hidden so see my pic below. No way to really see these, so it is a 'blind feel' to remove the rear screws then remove the now loosened front centre one. The CD/NAV assemble will now be free to 'fall' down and work on.

Once all screws are out BE CAREFUL as the bundled wires are just barely long enough to give you working room. The NAV system has the grey foam wrapping them, DO NOT TOUCH!!! The CD changer is on the left in the photo below. Carefully remove the wire harness by pushing the top and rear plastic holder/leaf thingies (highly technical aren't i ).

Once the wire assembly is removed from the CD player, it is easy to remove the CD player. On the left and right sides of the CD player you will see a flat metal 'finger' that holds the CD player in place within the assembly. The left one is easy to move by hand, whereas the right one i just slid in from the top an Allen wrench to force the finger closed. Then the CD changer will slide out of the assembly. Remove it and store that is a dry/safe place for the next owner.

With the car off i hooked up the DICE unit with all wires and iPod attached, then turned on the car as a test trial. It worked and so all was well (yes, i know in my photo below you still see the CD changer in place). You only need the DICE unit itself and the short wire, plus the iPod wirel The LONG BIG ROLL of wire with the DICE kit is not used.

The last photo shows how the DICE unit and all wires with the iPod are now in the 'cubby hole' that was where the CD Changer was.

Reassemble everything.

REMEMBER this is a hand-fitted car. Therefore the four screws on the bottom of the glove box should be attached loosely and then close the glove box. Then when the glove box is fitted nicely by hand keep pressure on the glove box itself and screw down the four bottom screws securely.

Enjoy the Music

Attached Images      

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-25-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:43 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
more pics below.

Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 AM
i have DIP switches on the DICE to off-off and on-on as it seems the steering wheel interface/controls do not work with the 2006 CGT.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-25-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
robbiemac is on a distinguished road
Dice

Hi Steven,

I'm new to Bentley ownership and have got myself an 05 GT. I wonder if I could trouble you to advise me a little more on the DICE install. specifically I'm keen to understand if the DICE option allows you to control the IPOD from the console, ie browsing the actual ipod menus or if you just get Track 01, track 02 etc.

I've had similar systems in maserati's that made navigation a chore so you ended up not using it.

thanks in advance

Robbie

Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Installation is basically you need to thin 'keys' that then pushes the right and left 'fingers' on the side of the 6 disc changer to then slide the changer forwards to remove it. All that stuff above, i did it the HARD way
Then you just unhook the power and controller molex plugs from the back of the CD changer unit. The Dice is literally Plug N Play using the stock molex plugs.

BUT...

specifically I'm keen to understand if the DICE option allows you to control the IPOD from the console, ie browsing the actual ipod menus or if you just get Track 01, track 02 etc.
Alas, you CAN NOT control the iPod from the steering wheel nor the main radio unit. That is the drawback with the pre 2008 Bentley GT cars. So what i did is use an iPod Touch and installed a car mount and due to the iTouch having a big readout/control touch screen, use it to control track changes/selections. Volume adjustment is still via steering wheel/radio unit.

Hope this helps.

ADDED: The problem with virtually ALL car-based iPod/iTouch controllers is that navigation of folders, etc can be cumbersome. Full touch screen integration is key with artwork and full menu choices, yet am not sure of the new Bentley cars (or other brands) have that ability as have never used their systems. This is why i chose to use an iTouch with car mount.

Attached Images  

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 01-17-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi steven,

thanks for the information, it's good to know. I'll suck it and see how I get on with the CD player for the time being (I listen to the radio most of the time anyway)

again, thanks for the info, it was much appreciated.

Robbie

Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 AM
well I decided to buy the Ipod kit and fit it yesterday, very simple to install and connect up, I'm in the process of getting a filler created where the change was to house the Ipod's. it's also very handy and the glove box supports having the Ipad in there, so we now have a full multimedia system in the car!

Steven, thanks for the details and how to guide, much appreciated.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Robbiemac,

ALWAYS glad to help. Yeah, when i first did the install (first post) i did it the VERY hard way, when really all you need is the tool to move the 'fingers' on each side of the CD changer back and then easily slide out the changer.

Be warned, once you get the iPod going in the Bentley you'll wonder how you ever lived without it! Once you get your install done please post some pics

Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
ScottCLS55 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steven for the informative post..

I have a question for you. Is there room to leave the CD player in place and drill a hole for just the cable for the ipod and leave the module behind the glove box??

Also, I wonder if we could get Dice to make a cable splitter that could switch back to CD player when the Ipod was not hooked up.. Maybe use a Y cable one to the CD player and one to the ipod Module. I could see it needing a restart of the radio to switch between but that would be worth having usability of both if wanted.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Hi Scott and yes to both questions. You simply leave the CD player where it is and have the Dice hookup resting in the lower glovebox. As for the wiring/swtch to use the CD player or the Dice Electronics unit you want to contact:

The Motormedia Company Ltd
Unit 4, Heron Trading Estate
Alliance Road
London, W3 0RA

Tel: 020 8992 9553
Fax: 020 8992 9554
Mob: 07753 639936

karl@themotormediacompany.co.uk
www.themotormediacompany.co.uk

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-29-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Ray G is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
all you need is the tool to move the 'fingers' on each side of the CD changer back and then easily slide out the changer.
Where do you get this tool? Is this a Bentley specific item or something I can get at any auto parts store? Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 PM
The 6-disc changer is by Sony as i recall and it really is not much more then really thin metal 'keys' about an inch high and 4 inches or so deep. Virtually any decent car audio installation place will have them and can probably take 5 minutes to use their tools/keys to remove the changer. The 'trick' is, there really is not much space between the changer and the NAV disc unit.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
what yor cgt year made?i order the Dice(now call audiovox)they said it does'nt work in early 2004 car.

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Am leaving the below for the 'long way around'. There appears to be a simple pair of small 'tools' that you stick on both sides of the CD changer that pushes in the side 'fingers' in and then the CD changer will easily slide out. Probably takes all of 10 seconds using that method. But if you have PLENTY of time on your hands and love to take things apart as i do....

IMPORTANT
I WILL NOT BE SUBJECTED TO ANY WARRANTY OR CLAIMED LIABILITY. You do this AT YOUR OWN RISK AND TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY.

When unscrewing or screwing in things, NEVER be a 'gorilla' and nice and snug tightening is fine. Maybe 1/8th turn after it is just about fully tight. DO NOT BE A GORILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There may be typos below. i am human.

Tools Needed:

2.5 and 3 Allen

Torx 20 (normal bit Plus YOU MUST HAVE a 3.5-inch dedicated (see pic below)

Torx 25 (normal bit)

A body capable of being a contortionist. If you have back problems DO NOT try this at home!!!!

DICE unit is the I-VW-T/5V

Suggested clothes: Sweat pants and a t-shirt. NOTHING with rivits, NO buckles, etc and remove ALL jewelry. You will be sliding and moving on the leather and carpet in positions only a contorsionist would normally attempt.

THIS IS THE LONG WAY AROUND, see top of this post for a much faster, easier and less risky way of removing the CD changer.

First empty the glove box and remove all discs from the navigation and CD changer. We will be removing the CD changer in full and place all the DICE bits and iPod in that now empty 'cubby hole'.

Remove the very bottom black coloured 'facade' that has many holes for the floor/foot heater. This is underneath the glove box and just above where the passenger's toes would be. It is held by two screws (Torx 25 i think) and look for the two diagonal indents on the plastic facade that holds the black piece in place. BE CAREFUL once the screws are out as when you GENTLY pull the facade out as there ARE A PAIR OF WIRES that is connected to a light on the facade. Remove the bit that electrically attaches to the light assembly by moving the holding bits outward.

Remove glove box. This entails removing the left and right side black circles that keeps the glove on on 'track' as it the glove box goes up (stored) and down (open position). Also remove the right and left part that each has a black wire that 'holds' the glove box open and also gently lets the glove box go downward. These wires will kinda snap back into the car, do not worry as this is normal.

The black facade that you removed, now you see FOUR Torx 25 screws as this holds the bottom of the glove box. Once you remove those BE CAREFUL REMOVING THE GLOVE BOX as there is another pair of wires for the glove box light. Remove the attaching light wires bit just as you did with the black floor facade light. Now the glove box should be free to be removed.

Removing the CD player and NAV assembly.
REMEMBER TO HAVE ALL DISCS OUT OF THE UNITS

There are three Torx 20 screws in the front and three in the rear. Trust me here, you need the 3.5-inch Torx 20 tool bit as photoed below or you may never get the rear 'hidden' screws out. The front is easy, i'd remove the right and left and loosen the front centre one. The rear ones are hidden so see my pic below. No way to really see these, so it is a 'blind feel' to remove the rear screws then remove the now loosened front centre one. The CD/NAV assemble will now be free to 'fall' down and work on.

Once all screws are out BE CAREFUL as the bundled wires are just barely long enough to give you working room. The NAV system has the grey foam wrapping them, DO NOT TOUCH!!! The CD changer is on the left in the photo below. Carefully remove the wire harness by pushing the top and rear plastic holder/leaf thingies (highly technical aren't i ).

Once the wire assembly is removed from the CD player, it is easy to remove the CD player. On the left and right sides of the CD player you will see a flat metal 'finger' that holds the CD player in place within the assembly. The left one is easy to move by hand, whereas the right one i just slid in from the top an Allen wrench to force the finger closed. Then the CD changer will slide out of the assembly. Remove it and store that is a dry/safe place for the next owner.

With the car off i hooked up the DICE unit with all wires and iPod attached, then turned on the car as a test trial. It worked and so all was well (yes, i know in my photo below you still see the CD changer in place). You only need the DICE unit itself and the short wire, plus the iPod wirel The LONG BIG ROLL of wire with the DICE kit is not used.

The last photo shows how the DICE unit and all wires with the iPod are now in the 'cubby hole' that was where the CD Changer was.

Reassemble everything.

REMEMBER this is a hand-fitted car. Therefore the four screws on the bottom of the glove box should be attached loosely and then close the glove box. Then when the glove box is fitted nicely by hand keep pressure on the glove box itself and screw down the four bottom screws securely.

Enjoy the Music

Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM
ssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura about
Just installed this unit in my 06 spur, works flawlessly.

http://www.ipodcarpros.com/p580/AMBR...duct_info.html

I mainly use the bluetooth streaming so I can keep my phone with me instead of plugged in. Also ran a microphone to use the bluetooth phone feature since the factory one doesn't work with my iPhone.

Took about 5 minutes to install with the proper keys to remove the CD changer (standard VW keys, any audio shop should have them)

Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM
farmGT74 is on a distinguished road
Just bought the DICE unit to install in my 05 CGT, gonna attempt it later this week, thanks for the info

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DICE Install: A Basic 'How To'