Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

who is bending their 22's and who isn't?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM
enginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to behold
who is bending their 22's and who isn't?

looking into 22's and would love some input. I had some lowenhart 22's on a BMW 7 series a while back and swore I would never go that route again (softest rim on the planet or it was a really thin tire). But now its looking like only a 21 or 22 will fit this beast.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Anything over 19" on a car that size is asking for trouble. Looks great, but you just can't get away not bending wheels with regards to potholes. There's no such thing as a wheel that won't bend if hit hard enough.

Price you pay to play.....

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
enginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to behold
even HRE?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Many of our customers have switched over to our Monoblok single piece forged wheels since they tend to be a little more durable.

As Damon said, 21" and 22" on that car are definitely more prone to bending than the smaller diameters. I can say that with cars like the Panamera we have had very few issues with bending on the 21" setups.

It really is a give and take and unfortunately it only takes once and it could happen just down the street.

I'm assuming you are in Tarzana, CA?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Anything over 19" on a car that size is asking for trouble. Looks great, but you just can't get away not bending wheels with regards to potholes. There's no such thing as a wheel that won't bend if hit hard enough.

Price you pay to play.....
Damon is right... No wheel is invincible to bending. Some wheels have a higher threshold than others, of course. More tire sidewall is a great way to protect your wheels, which means stepping down in diameter.

Originally Posted by enginyr
even HRE?
HRE makes a solid wheel. If I was going to recommend 5 brands to look at, HRE would be in that 5 for sure. The most important thing is going to be being aware of the road. If you pay attention, you'll avoid most potholes. Then again, here in AZ we're blessed with good roads.

-Matt

Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 AM
bentleylover007 is on a distinguished road
hi on my previous 05 gt i bent 2 lowenhart 22 inch lsr in 1 shot blew out both tires aswell both rims were bent like a egg , i have a shop down here in nj i sent them to and they came back perfect it was simply incredible re straighten , refinished the innder barrels remachined and resealed the job was stunning , if anyone needs a 22 inch or other size repaired let me know i can run it through my shop here in nj , this guy does all 3pc wheels perfectly and the resealing them to which is the tough part , his pricing is not cheap but the workmanship is top quality bar none , pm me with needs , thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
I have Hre 22's on my Bentley GT.

I have gone through 3 wheels so far and the roads in Los Angeles are deadly for the 22 size rim.

The TPMS on the car is a constant problem due to the bending of the wheel and drives me crazy. Its not worth it. the trouble you will have is not worth the look.

The car looks amazing but I will tell you if I had to do it all over again I would stick to the original 20's.

I have a 3 piece HRE wheel

Ice

Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
chinaleeexports will become famous soon enoughchinaleeexports will become famous soon enough
I have had 2 rims bent on my 05 with 22..Car is too heavy with too little tire. I still run 22's put am very aware of potholes. It is just a matter of time. My friend bent 2 rims on two different roads and gave up and returned to stock. I plan on just dealing with it realizing the limitations of running 22's.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Ice's 996tt Cab
I have Hre 22's on my Bentley GT.

I have gone through 3 wheels so far and the roads in Los Angeles are deadly for the 22 size rim.

The TPMS on the car is a constant problem due to the bending of the wheel and drives me crazy. Its not worth it. the trouble you will have is not worth the look.

The car looks amazing but I will tell you if I had to do it all over again I would stick to the original 20's.

I have a 3 piece HRE wheel

Ice
Yes I'm in LA and the roads are not that great. I've noticed that a 22" rim with lip looks great or a 20" rim with no lip. I DEFINITELY don't want to get back into the 22's I had on the 7 series. I was bending a rim at least once a week.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond repute
These are great real world experiences. From my seat at HRE when we get to speak with the customers with the larger cars, it really is a give and take. with 22" wheels you have to know the possibility is definitely there to bend a wheel.

We have actually received a number of requests for 20" high load rated wheels. In response we now offer the P90L series for Bentley, Rover, Rolls Royce etc. It offers a very clean Single piece forged wheel that will support the 5000 lb + curb weights in a 20" design.

I agree with Enginyr...if you do go 20", the face forward Monoblok is the way to go.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
To expound on my prior statement, I also concur if you choose to push the envelope with a larger wheel; do spend the money on a high quality forged wheel (HRE, BBS, OZ) instead of a cast wheel. Also, more spokes will do a bit to spread the force of an impact out over the wheel. 5 spoke wheels are more prone to damage. Most of the time we see damage done to the inner barrel so spoke design is irrelevant in those cases.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM
looking for a few pictures of the 20" P93L in black on a black bentley gt

Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor
We are working on the assets for the 20" P90L's. We released the in the order of 22", 21", and 20". We have some that have been delivered and we are waiting on images. I will post as soon as I have them.

Have you seen the 2012 GT with our P95's? They are 22", but the new car had factory 21".

Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Nsxe320 is on a distinguished road
Don't do it, not worth the aggravation

Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
If you just love the look of multipiece wheels like I do, find one that is constructed with double rolled barrels and do chrome on the lips. I used to have Work wheels (same company as Lowenhart) so I know your pain. Those things bend like liquorish.
The wheels I have now are strong as an ox. I've tapped them several times and they look like a champ.
Double rolled barrels add some weight to the wheel but the added strength is worth it. I'm no racecar driver and don't need feather-light wheels. If not this route then co one-piece monoblocks.
But I like lips and I've found the answer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: who is bending their 22's and who isn't?