Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

PRESS RELEASE: New Bentley Continental GTC

Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
PRESS RELEASE: New Bentley Continental GTC

THE NEW BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GTC
  • Bold, contemporary, sculpted design employing advanced production technology.
  • Sensuous, luxurious, hand-crafted cabin with class-leading infotainment.
  • Coupe-like refinement with unrivalled comfort and practicality.
  • More powerful 6.0-litre W12 engine with FlexFuel capability, delivering exhilarating performance.
  • Uprated chassis for a more dynamic and engaging open-top driving experience.
(Crewe, England. 24 August 2011). The second generation of Bentley’s iconic Continental GTC convertible will debut at next month’s International Automobile Exhibition (IAA) in Frankfurt.
Taking cues from its GT coupe sibling launched last year, the new Continental GTC builds on the highly successful foundation of the previous cabriolet, which premiered in 2006. Bentley’s design and engineering teams have improved virtually every aspect of the iconic convertible with an uncompromising focus on quality.
While the first Continental GTC was elegant and understated, the sharper radii and assertive stance of the new model delivers a more contemporary and muscular presence. Advanced manufacturing techniques produce aluminium front wings without the need for seams or welds creating the look and feel of a coach-built car. Twenty-inch wheels are now standard with three styles of 21-inch wheel, a first for GTC, available as an option, reinforcing the distinctive, sporting stance of the new Bentley.
The four-seater luxury convertible features a new, even more spacious and sumptuous hand-crafted cabin, with soft-touch leather hides, an extensive range of wood veneers, cool-touch metals and deep-pile carpets. There are 17 standard soft-touch leather hide colours with six colour split combinations, complemented by a range of seven veneers, all produced by Bentley’s talented craftsmen and women.
The GTC’s renowned coupe-like refinement is also enhanced. The tailored, multi-layered fabric hood is complemented by acoustic glass and under-body panels, for optimum noise isolation.
Superb everyday practicality for a luxury convertible was a hallmark of the original GTC and much valued by its customers. The cabin of the new GTC is now even more practical, with additional rear legroom, new storage solutions and innovative features such as touch-screen infotainment, automatic seat-belt presenters and a Bentley-designed Neck Warmer for comfortable roof-down motoring whatever the temperature.
A wider track, front and rear, sharper steering and retuned suspension provides a more exhilarating and class-leading drive. Bentley’s advanced all-wheel drive system features a new 40:60 rear torque bias (compared with 50:50 of the original GTC) minimising understeer during hard cornering and allowing the spirited driver to manage the car’s line and balance via precise throttle control.
This compelling dynamic package is combined with a more powerful 6.0-litre, twin-turbocharged W12 engine as well as a new QuickShift transmission enabling faster gear changes than ever before. Power output is raised from 560PS to 575PS (567bhp/423kW) and the famed Bentley ‘wave of torque’ has been increased by a further 50Nm to 700Nm (516lb ft).
“The GTC has always been the most emotional model in the Continental range and a showcase for Bentley design. With its tailored soft top, the GTC is a pure British convertible true to those classic Bentleys of the past. However, the technology, performance and overall design excellence invested in this model means that we are now writing a new chapter for the Bentley convertible driver.”
Wolfgang Dürheimer, Chairman and Chief Executive, Bentley Motors.
The Bentley Continental GTC is now available to order and first customer deliveries will begin in late 2011.
Pricing Information
POUNDS STERLING
£149,350
US DOLLAR
$212,800 MSRP
EURO
€170,060
RENMINBI
RMB 3,838,000
YEN
¥26,400,000
  • Pounds Sterling inclusive of 20% VAT.
  • Euro price does not include individual market taxation rates.
  • US Dollar pricing is exclusive of individual state taxes.
THE NEW CONTINENTAL GTC – AT A GLANCE
Sculpted exterior design
  • Advanced production techniques such as aluminium Super Forming (front wings) allow for a more sculpted body and sharp ‘power lines.’
  • Unique jewelled headlamps with LED daytime-running lights.
  • More upright matrix radiator grille and new ‘double horseshoe’ rear profile first shown on the flagship Bentley Mulsanne.
Luxurious, practical, hand-crafted cabin with class-leading infotainment
  • New interior with a bold, sweeping dashboard and instrument panel finished in premium soft-touch leather.
  • Choice of 17 hide colours, six colour split combinations and seven veneers.
  • Distinctive ‘cobra style’ seats for added comfort and enhanced rear cabin space.
  • A new touchscreen, 30GB infotainment system introduces advanced satellite navigation with dynamic route guidance, seven-digit postcode entry and Google Map compatibility (market specific).
  • Audio systems feature the latest wide-frequency Balance Mode Radiator speakers as standard.
  • Revolutionary Dirac Dimensions™ DSP for exceptional sound reproduction (Naim for Bentley premium audio).
More powerful 6-litre W12 engine with FlexFuel capability
  • 6-litre W12 engine twin-turbocharged engine produces 575PS
    (567bhp/423kW) and 700Nm (516lb ft) of torque.
  • FlexFuel capability – runs on E85 biofuel, petrol or any combination of the two.
  • 0 – 60mph 4.5 secs (0-100 km/h 4.8 secs).
  • 0 – 100mph 10.9 secs (0 – 160km/h 10.9 secs).
  • Top speed 195 mph (314 km/h).
Dynamic Bentley driving experience
  • ZF 6HP28 transmission with ‘Quickshift’ system that cuts shift times by up to 50% and enables double downshifts.
  • New 40:60 rear-biased torque split for the all-wheel drive system reduces understeer when powering out of bends and provides for better modulation of line and attitude by ‘throttle steering.’
  • Increased front and rear track improves grip and stability.
  • Advanced ESC system fully exploits the potential of the more powerful W12 engine and improved chassis.
  • 20” ‘Five Spoke’ alloy wheels with optional 21” wheels in ‘Five Spoke Two-Piece’, ‘Seven Spoke Elegant’ and ‘Ten Spoke Propeller’ designs.
ENDS
Notes to editors
  1. Bentley Motors is the third largest R&D investor in the UK's automotive sector and the 18th largest nationally. The company employs almost 4,000 people in Crewe which is home to all its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury vehicle manufacturers such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley exports over £500m worth of goods every year to established markets like the US, as well as emerging markets such as China and South America.
  2. Bentley’s global sales for the first half of 2011 have increased by 20% on the same period last year. The surge in sales has been driven by demand for Bentley's newly launched Continental GT and the popularity of the brand in China, where sales have increased by 57%. Europe and the Americas have also performed strongly. Europe has increased its sales by a quarter and the Americas were up by 23%.

SPECIFICATION
ENGINE
Type: 6-litre twin-turbocharged W12
Max Power: 567bhp / 423kW / 575PS @ 6000 rev/min
Max Torque: 700Nm / 516lb/ft @ 1700 rev/min
TRANSMISSION
ZF 6-speed automatic with quickshift and steering wheel-mounted paddleshift
Driveline: Continuous all-wheel drive (40:60 rear bias)
Ratios:
1st. 4.17
2nd. 2.34
3rd. 1.52
4th. 1.14
5th. 0.87
6th 0.69
Final drive: 3.526

BODY CONSTRUCTION
Steel monocoque
BRAKES
Front: 405mm ventilated discs (optional 420mm Carbon Silicon Carbide, cross drilled)
Rear: 335mm ventilated discs (optional 356mm, Carbon Silicon Carbide, cross drilled)

WHEELS AND TYRES
9.5J x 20” (optional 9.5J x 21”)
Pirelli P Zero 275/40ZR 20 (optional 275/35 ZR21)

STEERING
Type: rack & pinion, power assisted, speed-sensitive ZF servotronic
Turns lock to lock: 2.6 turns
Turning circle: 11.3m

SUSPENSION
Front: Four link double wishbones, computer controlled self-levelling air suspension, with anti roll-bar.
Rear: Trapezoidal multi-link, computer-controlled self-levelling air suspension, with anti roll-bar.
Damping: Continuous Damping Control, tuned for dynamic performance.

DIMENSIONSWheelbase 2746mmOverall Length 4806mmWidth (across body)1943mmWidth (including mirrors) 2227mmOverall Height 1403mmFuel Tank 90 litresBoot Volume260 litresKerb Weight (EU)2495 kg / 5501 lbGross Vehicle Weight 2900 kg / 6393 lb
PERFORMANCE
Top Speed: 195 mph (314 km/h)
0 – 60 mph: 4.5 secs (0 – 100 km/h: 4.8 secs)
0 – 100 mph: 10.9 secs (0 – 160 km/h: 10.9 secs)
30 – 50 mph: 2.0 secs (60 – 100 km/h: 2.5 secs)
50 – 70 mph: 2.4 secs (80 – 120 km/h: 3.1 secs)

FUEL CONSUMPTION (EU Cycle) *Urban 11.1 mpg (25.4 l/100km)Extra Urban24.9 mpg (11.4 l/100km)Combined 17.1 mpg (16.5 l/100km)CO2 emissions 384g/km* Fuel consumption figures are provisional and subject to Type Approval
FUEL CONSUMPTION (EPA Cycle) **City Driving11 mpg (US)Highway Driving 19 mpg (US)Combined14 mpg (US)** Fuel consumption figures are provisional and subject to EPA certification.
EMISSIONS CONTROLS
EU 5 and US LEV 1

Attached Images      
Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Images      
Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 AM

Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM
ihatepotholes will become famous soon enoughihatepotholes will become famous soon enough
3.8 million rmb? lol thats ridiculous. chinese are paying more than half million for these.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Normal import duty. In Singapore it is probably priced even higher due to import duty.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Bad Chariot is on a distinguished road
Steven,

You need to hand over that "lemon" of yours to me and you get the new one . I was telling all my friends about your car at a BBQ I went to later that day. I felt you truely see where the $$ is in a car of that level.

OT: You survive the storm? I wasn't too lucky, lost power for 12.5hrs, got 5 inches of water in the basement because the sump pump had no power to run. Only lost the H/W Tank and the dryer, could have been worse.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by Bad Chariot
Steven, You need to hand over that "lemon" of yours to me and you get the new one . I was telling all my friends about your car at a BBQ I went to later that day. I felt you truly see where the $$ is in a car of that level.
LOL! Yeah, i guess at the car show you could tell how smitten i am with the CGT. She really is amazing sun, rain and yes in deep snow. Of all the exotics i have enjoyed over the years the 2006 CGT is by far the most all-around great performer, reliable, and (relatively) low total cost of ownership. And yes, i tend to 'take apart' things so have seen parts of the car virtually no other 'normal' owner ever would. Bentley really does a stunning job.

At the automobile show, two different couples were serious about buying a Bentley and i gave them a 'grand tour' of the car plus answered many of their questions. Only thing missing was me having literature and options list to give them to take home. If Bentley sells them a car, i should be the guy getting the sales commission

BTW, the black Mercedes CL65 at the show was the SAME car i was toying with getting. The owner has had it less than a year and is selling it due to harsh ride. Having already been down the road with a harsh ride exotic street car (modded Ferrari), it reinforces my choice of the 2006 CGT.

OT: You survive the storm? I wasn't too lucky, lost power for 12.5hrs, got 5 inches of water in the basement because the sump pump had no power to run. Only lost the H/W Tank and the dryer, could have been worse.
Wow, sorry to hear of your troubles. As you said, it could always be worse.

FYI: All was fine here with just high winds and rain. You may want to look into getting APC brand units. Have multiple APC S15 surge/filter/battery backup units here and can run most of the home off battery for 2 hours (for power hogs) to 8+ hours for the computer networks and subsystems. Of all the battery backups, APC imho makes the best all-rounder.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 08-30-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Bad Chariot is on a distinguished road
Well you sold me on the car when you told me about the low maintenance costs, that was just incredible to hear. I think I had come back to your car when you were talking to that couple and I didn't want to interrupt.

The SL65 B/S is an insane looking car, I remember seeing the Top Gear review being very unfavorable because of the harsh ride. If I were in that price range for a "toy" I'd be driving something italian.

As for the pump, woulda, shoulda, coulda. The one I got was the temporary one, I am going to be installing a 1/2HP with battery backup one this fall. LONG story short but the couple we bought the house from apparently did not disclose there was a sump pump because in March I had 10 inches of water after the snow thaw and lost my 85% finished basement, during the demo we found the nicely patched over hole. My neighbor told me the previous owner to this couple was very vocal about pumping as everyone on my side of the street has to. Can't prove it in court because I had $20k+ in damage NOT covered by insurance.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by Bad Chariot
Well you sold me on the car when you told me about the low maintenance costs, that was just incredible to hear.

Yeah, TCO on the CGT is very reasonable and because i live out here in BFE (or do they call this the sticks... or the boonies) it is nice that Bentley comes to my home to pick up/drop off at no additional fee.

The SL65 B/S is an insane looking car, I remember seeing the Top Gear review being very unfavorable because of the harsh ride. If I were in that price range for a "toy" I'd be driving something italian.

Italian did you say? (Humbly said) Been there, done that, read the book, saw the movie, did the road course tracking, the modding, the suspension re-engineering, hired pros for the brake system re-engineering... The CL65 is an amazing car... if you want that type of car for track days. Of course for only $45k you can get a F2000 car with modern engine that would eat the CL65 before breakfast... at the first braking point/turn/apex and the F2000 would never need to look back. There is just something about 3.5G+ turning capability and brakes that make boat anchors seem weak by comparison. Top Gear Clarkson really needs to spend a year in a proper Formula car and stop dicking around with road legal cars to THEN be able to understand the TRUE capabilities of what 'Top Gear' truly is imho. Who knows, maybe he'll also stop showboating so much, ahhh, but that makes for good TV.

As for the pump, woulda, shoulda, coulda. The one I got was the temporary one, I am going to be installing a 1/2HP with battery backup one this fall....

Sorry to hear about non-disclosure and am glad you will have that situation covered.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 AM
PS: There is something about racing the F2000 and winning the Driver's Championship that told me as much about the car and it's capabilities as it did about myself and my capabilites. Hope that makes sense.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Statement by
Wolfgang Dürheimer,

Chairman and Chief Executive, Bentley Motors

International Motor Show (IAA) 2011
13 September 2011
Frankfurt, Germany
Dr. Piëch, Frau Piëch, Professor Winterkorn, Members of the Board of the Volkswagen Group and Brands, ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to Bentley Motors.
Welcome to the World Launch of the new Bentley Continental GTC.

---------
Uncompromising quality, striking and contemporary design, unparalleled craftsmanship and unrivalled comfort, combined with breathtaking performance. These are the key features we at Bentley have developed to make the best convertible in the world even better.

Sharper lines, striking front headlamps and an upright mesh grille give this open-topped four-seater its muscular appearance. Thanks to its self-assured design, the GTC will attract attention wherever it goes. I am certain of that.
---------
The carefully hand-crafted interior is also unmistakeably Bentley. A comprehensive range of exquisite wood veneers, cool-touch metals and sumptuous hides allow the interior to be adapted to suit your own style and taste in a way which cannot be matched elsewhere.

We have also improved the excellent everyday practicality of this luxury convertible - with added legroom in the rear and innovative touches in equipment such as the new neck warmer feature, which ensures comfort whenever the hood is down and whatever the temperature. When closed, the tailor-made, multi-layer fabric hood ensures Bentley's much admired open-top elegance is retained.
---------
Ladies and gentlemen,

Above all, the new Bentley GTC has been developed with the same key principle in mind – creating a vehicle that is simply a pleasure to drive. Our Bentley engineers in Crewe were faced with the challenge of building a luxury sports convertible, which combines the thrill of open-top motoring with breath-taking performance - whatever your mood and whatever the road.
---------
And that is exactly what they have achieved. The wider front and rear track ensure better grip, greater stability and minimised understeer. More responsive steering and re-tuned suspension offer a first class driving experience. Bentley's state of the art four-wheel drive system now features a 60:40 rear torque bias, which enthusiastic drivers will especially appreciate.
---------
This impressive dynamic package is combined with the unmistakeable 567 bhp 12-cylinder twin-turbo engine and a new QuickShift transmission, enabling faster gear changes than ever before.

The result is a unique, open-topped supercar.
---------
And the timing of this launch could not be better.

Bentley is moving forward rapidly, and the new Continental GT is the driving force behind this. This latest generation of ground-breaking Continental coupes has reinvigorated the brand, attracting an entirely new target market. Today's world launch of the GTC Convertible provides added momentum.
---------
We are extremely optimistic. Our target for the 2011 calendar year is global sales of 7,000 vehicles. This is equivalent to an increase of around 40% on the previous year.

After eight months, we are right on track. By the end of August, we had already delivered 4,016 vehicles to customers around the world, making it our best year so far since 2008.
---------
One of the cornerstones of this success is the Chinese market. In the first eight months of this year, Bentley sold more than 1,000 vehicles in this region for the first time, representing growth of more than 67%. The most popular models seen on the streets of Shanghai and Beijing are our four-door vehicles, the Mulsanne and Continental Flying Spur.
---------
Even in our largest market, the United States, we achieved growth of 36%. And in Europe, where customer confidence has been severely affected by the economic uncertainty in some markets, the future is looking brighter. In the United Kingdom our market share in the luxury segment is now more than 25%, making us the clear market leader.
---------
Here in Germany, Bentley Motors again recorded significant growth, following a few difficult years. In the first eight months of the year, we sold two-thirds more vehicles than in the previous year.
---------
We are looking to develop this trend further, which is why we are continuously investing in our current models. And we have no shortage of ideas for the future. The Bentley wings would sit beautifully on the bonnet of a new quintessentially British four by four vehicle. Watch this space!
---------
Ladies and gentlemen,

As you can see, Bentley is moving forwards at full speed. The new Continental GTC embodies this acceleration with its limitless pure driving pleasure. It is the perfect example of British motoring proven on the German Autobahn. This four-seat luxury convertible is yet another impressive example of Bentley’s commitment to "Luxury without limits".
Thank you.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Attached Images