Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Help Me pick a car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Help Me pick a car

Hey Guys,

I have been posting this in different parts of 6speed to see the pros and cons to the cars I am looking at. I am really interested to hear what you guys think

I am on the hunt to add a toy to my collection. I already have an 11 Cayenne S, and a 68 Chevelle. I am now looking for an exotic to round off the collection. I am looking at the following cars (mostly due to them falling in my price range of 160-220k.

Audi R8 V10
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Bentley Continental GT Super Sport (dealer has 2 leftovers at huge discount)
Porsche 911 Turbo S
Ferrari California

I am looking at new or very slightly used versions of all of these cars.

I am looking for a car that is a mostly daily driver (I have my Cayenne for Hauling) and is somewhat comfortable.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Of course the below is IMHO and yes i see you live in Florida yet will mention snow for others who may be asking themselves than same thing as you are yet live in a different location):

Audi R8 V10 -- Nice car, taunt ride yet still fine for daily driving. Also good for the track and snow.

Aston Martin V12 Vantage -- Lackluster build quality for the price paid. Lots of visual styling at the cost of overall quality. Cost of ownership will be relatively high.

Bentley Continental GT Super Sport (dealer has 2 leftovers at huge discount) -- Great for true grand touring with sporty luxury drive. All wheel drive means great for snow too.

Porsche 911 Turbo S -- Impressive car, good for track days. Avoid snow. (Porsche needs to retire the 911 per se and work on the Cayman S as that has a FAR higher potential without the need to keep trying to engineer out the fat weight behind the rear tires like in the 911 series)

Ferrari California -- Not as well received as first thought, painfully high cost to keep running when servicing is needed. Alluring at first because it is a Ferrari, yet over time the haze fades and reality bites you in the... Ok car, for track days if you like Xbox type track driving the computers help less-than-talented track guys.

Of the above, the Porsche and Bentley would be my choices considering what you already have in your stable of automobiles. As a true daily driver, have been the American muscle, Ricer, Ferrari route and others... the Bentley is just in a different, higher, league. Remember you have to 'live with' the automobile and that means durability, reliability, drivability and the cost to keep it running also plays a part. Have 'flipped' quite a few cars over the years and the Bentley is one of those rare 'keepers' due to doing so many things right and perfectly filling in for what is a true exotic grand touring vehicle.

The 911 is a great, reliable track car that is ok for daily driving.

So it may boil down to your roads (bumy or smooth), if you want to track the car, and of course what role you want the car to fill. No car does it all, and if you really want a track car forget anything street legal and get a true track car imho.

How do you plan on using the car plays a key role.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-13-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks Enjoythemusic! I have already driven the Bentley CGT SS, The 911 Turbo S and The ferrari California.

I agree with your comments, and ultimately I am trying to find what I am missing. Here is what I have thought so far:

911 Turbo S, Awesome machine, sub par interior design (looks like my cayman S did) Much better suspension in regards to daily driving (soft) and Track driving (tight). I love this car, but just am not excited for the sexiness of it. I honestly think the Cayman is better looking, in fact I used to stare at mine constantly, I cant see me doing that with the Turbo S

Bentley CGT SS.
The dealer has 3 leftovers, 2 from 2010 both with Naim Audio. One with the sport seats (very uncomfortable) the other with seats that are much more comfortable. Both are brand new never sold and are sub $200,000. I really like this car as it seems to defy physics! The 2011 has the comfortable seats and NAIM audio but the price isnt as good as the 2010. Any advice if I am choosing between these three?

Ferrari California
Really fun to drive, I love the pop of the exhaust when switching gears. But something about this car just doesnt feel right to me. I ran into a guy who had one and asked what he had considered against this car and why he bought it. Unfortunately he bought the car because he always wanted a Ferrari and didnt look at anything else. So no real insight there.

I am trying to find an R8 V10 that I can test drive which is proving difficult. I have driven the R8 V8 on a track and it didnt stick out to me mainly because on the same day I drove some track monsters (F430 Scud, Gallardo LP 650, and yes the 997.2 S) It is very appearant that this is a road car and does that well, and is ok at the track.

Aston martin perplexes me. I went to the dealership and just like at any other dealership I asked the guy, "Why buy an Aston"? Most other car companies have great reasons that people buy the cars they sell. This guys only response was, "There is no better way to show your wealth". I wanted to ask him if that means I am a total ****** if I buy one then? Buy I decided it wasnt worth it.

The Porsche and the Bentley are currently my front runners. I really am just trying to drive the r8 v10 so I can feel good about what cars to choose from. I love the look of the R8 and I know its comfortable.

Thanks so much for the input!

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Of course the below is IMHO:

Audi R8 V10 -- Nice car, taunt ride yet still fine for daily driving. Also good for the track and snow.

Aston Martin V12 Vantage -- Lackluster build quality for the price paid. Lots of visual styling at the cost of overall quality. Cost of ownership will be relatively high.

Bentley Continental GT Super Sport (dealer has 2 leftovers at huge discount) -- Great for true grand touring with sporty luxury drive. All wheel drive means great for snow too.

Porsche 911 Turbo S -- Impressive car, good for track days. Avoid snow. (Porsche needs to retire the 911 per se and work on the Cayman S as that has a FAR higher potential without the need to keep trying to engineer out the fat weight behind the rear tires)

Ferrari California -- Not as well received as first thought, painfully high cost to keep running when servicing is needed. Ok, for track days.

Of the above, the Porsche and Bentley would be my choices considering what you already have in your stable of automobiles.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Seems we are posting at the same time. The R8 is a great car, a bit less comfort than the Bentley yet considering many Florida roads are very smooth the point MIGHT be a bit moot. The R8 will be better in the 'twisties' due to less overall weight, yet their 'basic' speed capability is close enough to be almost moot (unless you are a track driver and looking to shave those last bits off your lap time).

Still, the Bentley has a better audio/sound system and more comfy seats. The sound of the Bentley exhaust is nice yet will not 'beat you up' aurally during long drives. As you have a Porsche already with that 'sports' ride, perhaps something more luxury like the Bentley fills out that niche' in your collection.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
PS: Bentley CGT SS.... obviously you hate the sports seats so... you said the 2011 has the comfortable seats and NAIM audio but the price isnt as discounted as the 2010.

What matters is YOUR preferences... and yes wallet. For me, i was looking at the "cedes CL65 and a bit more was spent for the Bentley CGT because MY desires were a car with strong engine and impressive capabilities, comfy seats, inexpensive to keep, great sound system and ability to handle DEEP snow. Of course build quality AND customer service was also key, as have suffered the 'Ferrari' treatment (more like abuse) for years and they have lost me as a customer forever. Apologies for the sour grapes, just that i USE my cars as daily drivers AND will seek out their capabilities accordingly. NO garage queens here.\\

So... perhaps the 2010 Bentley with comfy seats fill the bill. The stock Bose system is very good. Of course the Naim is better yet it can not be retrofitted. If you are an audiophile/musician, then the 2011 with Naim may be the best choice so you never have to ask yourself the shoulda/coulda/woulda question.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-14-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I'm surprised the Merc SL isn't listed in these sorts of selections, because they are exceptional cars with many of the advantages of the Bentley, but without the refinement.

My own SL600 - though old - was one of the best of its type... smooth ride, enormous acceleration without the lag you get in the BGT, and remarkably quiet for long distance. A lovely tight car in every way. I loved mine, but as I had both the Vanquish and SL600 together for a while, 2 sports cars were a little excessive so it had to go.

I've driven the R8 on the road, and while it's nice, in true Audi style there was nothing remarkable about it except the sometimes attractive design. Generally it didn't even register on my Want-O-Meter... the brand is too bland.

The Vantage is a beautiful car, albeit a little short. I prefer a DB9, but they still don't drive as nicely as the Bentley Continental.

As you explained your needs and alternatives, I thought the BGT seems to fit the bill for them all. I've been through the same kind of checklist looking for the perfect car for all seasons, and in my mind there isn't one better than the Bentley. I buy the car, not the brand, and this one is simply great in every regard (except the nav, but who makes a good in-car satnav anyway!). Of all the cars I've tried and driven over the years, it is the only one I would recommend to a driving enthusiast.

The Super Sport is nice, but the one I tried had the Veyron seats and it was an instant putoff. Sitting in hard, contoured carbon fibre is for racing, not everyday running. I'm not sure who buys these, but they must be young 'uns

Of course, my view only. I wish you all the best in this fun choice!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Just to add, I've driven the 911 S and Cayman on a Porsche World Day - in fact I won the slalom ahead of Porsche drivers half my age, and I had never driven on a track before. I'll be dining out on that one for years!

The Porsches are great track cars, but the seating layout and general handling are something I never got used to, and I was never completely comfortable on the road. But they are exceptional fast driving cars, no question.

As for daily drivers, there are more comfortable options IMO.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by kensilver
The Porsches are great track cars, but the seating layout and general handling are something I never got used to...

The 911 DOES need to be driven different than many other cars per se. Your right foot/right pedal plays a far higher role in 'turning' the car. It is interesting vehicle dynamics, that once mastered can be fun. Still, like you it is also not MY personally preference way to get around. It works, no doubt about it, yet in a different way.

As we all here know, no car can do everything yet the Bentley does so much right and gave up spirited driving on public roads as once you have experiences 3.5+ G's in the twisties that NO STREET LEGAL CAR can come close to.... If you see what F1 and other pro drivers use for Daily Drivers (not their on branded cars due to sponsorship), you'll see they choose cars like Bentley as they know the street is not for racing, yet they do want to fulfill their desires of what they want for a street car.

Hamilton seems to love his Big SUV with boom-box audio system. Ahhh, those kids! More mature drivers choose what they prefer. When i attend pro races (as a engineer/helper/toilet bowl scrubber) and drive up in the Bentely it seems the drivers want to know more about it. It is very interesting and in fact am attending the NASCAR/F2000 race at Lime Rock Park this weekend (Sept 16/17). If any of you are in the area look for the black CGT, stop on by and say hi. i'll be in Paddock B (to the left of Start/Finish).

Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic;
The 911 DOES need to be driven different than many other cars per se. Your right foot/right pedal plays a far higher role in 'turning' the car. It is interesting vehicle dynamics, that once mastered can be fun. ...
Yes, you can't change the laws of physics, and a big engine hanging over the back axle is going to mess with centrifugal force despite what any computer corrections may try.

But they are lovely looking cars and I WANTED one, but had to give up the idea after a few hour's realtime drive on the road. Of all the cars I've driven, the 911 had the lowest seats - almost on the floor as I remember - and this gave it a sitting-in-a-bucket feel which was great 40 years ago in my first sports car - an Austin Healey 100/4, but uncomfortable for me today.

Choosing the right car is more than the sum of its parts. I have also wanted a Range Rover for a long time, but every time I drive one it's like going back to the 80's... they are a very trucklike drive with strange interior ergonomics. But again, on the outside they are simply a design delight - one of the best-looking SUV's on the road.

It is a wonder we buy anything at all, knowing there is no perfect automobile! But the Bentley Continental GT comes very close.

Last edited by kensilver; 09-15-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Ken, very well said and agree on all points. If you think the Porsche felt like being on the floor (my modded Ferrari was the same way)... try a Formula 2000 as you are virtually literally PART OF the car and your bottom is about 3 inches from the tarmac (give or take depending on how the custom bead seat is fitted). The again the fuel tank is about, oh, 5 inches from your back as a thin sheet of metal and a roll bar separate you from the petrol... which is around 2 inches from the hot engine.

So yes, whilst there is no 'perfect' do-everything automobile, the Bentley does so much right for public road driving that it is an obvious choice for many of us here.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 PM
@KenSilver: I eliminated Mercedes due to my complete hatred for my wife's ML350. I hate the Infotainment system and controls in the Merc and unfortunately I also have to say that the interior build quality is just not there compared to others. Oh and the Veyron seats are horrible. One of the SS's that the dealer had them and it happened to be the one I test drove. It took 5 minutes for my back to start hurting. Porsche is an acquired taste, As are most German cars, but I have acquired that taste

So to update everyone on where I am at.

I am pretty sure I am not going the way of the CGT SS as The new one has the porsche nav system which I love, and the old nav system is kind of dreadful. I am a software guys so this stuff matters to me. Plus it will drive me nuts driving a 2 year old new car.

The Cali is out totally.

I drove a V8 Vantage yesterday at the AM dealership to get the feel of the car. I really like this car and think the V12 version will just be that much better.

Here is the ranking:

V12V
Turbo S
R8 V10

I still havent found a R8 V10 to drive yet, so there is a possibility it wont make the cut as I wont buy a car I cant drive.

Thanks all of you for all the amazing input! I will keep you posted on what I ultimately choose and will post pics of the result.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
@KenSilver: I eliminated Mercedes due to my complete hatred for my wife's ML350...
Good call on that one. I don't know anyone who likes the ML.

All brands seem to have their duds, and there are a lot of Mercs too I simply won't touch. Same with Lexus. While my previous Lexus LS600h and my current LX570 are probably the best in their field, I wouldn't even touch any other Lexus - they are just upgraded Toymotors, and upgraded in all the wrong places.

But the Mercedes SLR, or the Lexus LFA... now that's another story altogether!

I totally agree with your Vantage selection. Gorgeous shape, and the V12 is exactly right over the V8. I've read some Vantages have issues, but there's nothing that can't be fixed with a warranty or money.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
I was all set up to get into a CGT mulliner until I saw this car..
I just bought didn't even put a fight in negotiating it. I just fell in love with it and that's what it's all about..

Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Add Content

Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 PM
More

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Me pick a car