Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Counter offer on a new Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Counter offer on a new Continental GT

The local dealer has offered to sell a new (untitled) 2012 GT for $200,000 ($3,045 off the list price). I have never bought a Bentley before and I wonder if any of the members of this forum have any advice as to what a good counter offer might be. It has an Onyx exterior, a Portland interior and has about 40 miles on it.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
My dealer offered me 8k off

Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Do you really want that car?

3k off is peanuts we all know that, of course he will sell it to you for that. I bet he'd fake a squirm and sell at 195. If you offer anything over 193 be prepared to buy or get your bluff called.

I'm no authority so discount all I say.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
farmGT74 is on a distinguished road
my dealer offered me 12 off on the show model

Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
$5K - $10K is possible. But as Dr. Disaster said "be prepared to buy"

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
It must be bare boned. All the 2012 models at my dealer are priced between 222k and 230k. They said they would discount since they had about 6 of them, but after driving a used 2010 speed coupe and then a 2012 coupe, I was not really blown away with either one....In comparison to my CTT. So did not even try negotiating.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by farmGT74
my dealer offered me 12 off on the show model
Looks like it might be $ time or go home. I'd be surprised if you got any better than that. Looks like he wants to sell you the car. Do you love the car?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
farmGT74 is on a distinguished road
I did love it, they fized a lot of problems i had with my gr.. but it wasn't different enough from mine for me to buy it now.. I figure I'll wait a year or two and pick one up with 10-15k miles on it for a drastically better price

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Good hunting friend. For the kind of money this level of car costs it has to ring all the bells.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM
easy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant future
They have $19-21K in mark-up.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by easy2speed
They have $19-21K in mark-up.
Love the handle "easy3speed", no kidding in these cars.

Thanks for the information but the other piece of the puzzle is how much do they need to keep to make a fair and deserved profit?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
It must be bare boned. All the 2012 models at my dealer are priced between 222k and 230k.
At my dealer the other CGT Bentleys were $212,000 to $220,000. I have not seen any others at this low of a price ($203,045). However, this car has what I wanted and more. I know everyone thinks that their Bentley is the best looking one and I am no exception. See the BentleyPDF attached at the bottom.

The options that I like are a fancy steering wheel ($1,150), rear view camera ($1,135), veneered door/rear inserts ($1,090), seat ventilation & massage ($820), deep pile carpets ($380) and valet key ($260). The options I could have done without are a chromed lower bumper ($1,010), CD player ($615), veneer case ($550 which covers up the cup holders) and a knurled gear lever ($540). Therefore I could have been just as happy with fewer options at a lower price. I think that the dealers probably make a good markup on the options and for that reason load them up. Therefore, if I am fortunate enough to add a CGTC later, I will probably order it and only pay for the options that I want.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BentleyPDF.pdf (822.6 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Grwisher; 12-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Yes but the risk is the same car may not have the same price. I bought my 07 in Oct. and was not really ready to spend that kind of money BUT the wood/leather and trim was ideal for my tastes. I feared that I would not find the same combination at a later date, at the same price.

Would I lament passing on that car??

Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Ice9 is on a distinguished road
Grwisher: thats a nice car. I have been quietly in market and so I can understand your sentiments. I like that this car has a great primary secondary hide combination. In my experience, there are tons of cars that are "9"s which would be fine if we were looking at BMWs or Benzes but if you've found a "10" Bentley, you should probably pull the trigger. We all know we are going to get eaten up on depreciation and so the point is the pleasure you get from owning it.

I saw one the other day that was being sold because the owner died. I bet he was happy he had splurged and gotten exactly what he wanted (and drove the snot out of it btw which is why I passed, lol).

Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ice9
Grwisher: thats a nice car. I have been quietly in market and so I can understand your sentiments. I like that this car has a great primary secondary hide combination. In my experience, there are tons of cars that are "9"s which would be fine if we were looking at BMWs or Benzes but if you've found a "10" Bentley, you should probably pull the trigger. We all know we are going to get eaten up on depreciation and so the point is the pleasure you get from owning it.

I saw one the other day that was being sold because the owner died. I bet he was happy he had splurged and gotten exactly what he wanted (and drove the snot out of it btw which is why I passed, lol).
Thanks for your post. I did buy this car and the reason I did was not the price but I fell in love with the interior. FYI - the primary hide is Portland and the secondary hide is Porpoise. The veneer is exactly what I would have chosen.

You are right about "just do it". And you are also right about the pleasure of owning a Bentley. I thought about giving the money to my children but I was so afraid that they might do something stupid with the money. Like I always say: I spent most of my money on cars, boats and booze and the rest I just pissed away.