Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Dipstick(broken tip)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:20 AM
gliozzi is on a distinguished road
Dipstick(broken tip)

Well yesterday while checking and topping off all the fluids in my 2005 GT I found that the plastic tip on the engine oil dipstick was broken off.
After talking to dealer found that it is a common occurrence, then he proceeded to tell me Bentley is on there 3rd superseded part.
The new dipstick comes complete with the outer tube, my guess is the tube has a little more of a gentle curve to make it ease down and lessen the chance of breaking the tip. the part runs 128$.

So how many of you out there has had the dipstick replaced?
Where do you think the plastic tips end up?
Did they remove the oil pan to find out?

bob

Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Enterpriser will become famous soon enough
Sorry to bring this back from dead but I have some answers to hopefully help others with same issue who may search for this topic.

I also have a broken orange tip on my bentley dipstick and the tech I talked to said this should have been a recall due to the rampant numbers he has seen but there was never a campaign he said so this is the solution all 3 dealers I called suggested. You have to buy the new tube and stick in a bundle which is 250$, the install is 280$ and they suggest the 350$ oil change to flush out the little orange bugger if he isnt already out. I also found that many on the VW forums have this problem so hopefully this helps others looking.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:18 AM
squirel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Enterpriser
Sorry to bring this back from dead but I have some answers to hopefully help others with same issue who may search for this topic.

I also have a broken orange tip on my bentley dipstick and the tech I talked to said this should have been a recall due to the rampant numbers he has seen but there was never a campaign he said so this is the solution all 3 dealers I called suggested. You have to buy the new tube and stick in a bundle which is 250$, the install is 280$ and they suggest the 350$ oil change to flush out the little orange bugger if he isnt already out. I also found that many on the VW forums have this problem so hopefully this helps others looking.
Sorry to interrupt but what you are saying above is NOT true.
The bottom of the tube is closed and has only two small holes to allow the oil to fill up the tube and allow the dip stick to read the oil level.
The piece of the old broken dip stick can NOT go in the engine, it is in the bottom of the tube.
So your 3 dealers are talking BS and trying as usual to rip you off 350$ for an unnecessary oil change.

Last edited by squirel; 11-01-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I presume a new tube is required because the broken bit would stop a new dipstick from fully seating in the old tube.
A costly outcome as a result of poor design to say the least.

Les.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 PM
White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !
Squirel, Great info. Good to know- Thx!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Had the same exact thing happen! the tip broke off and we drained the oil and successfully found it in the drained oil. We bought a used dipstick on ebay from the same year model and now just hoping that this one wont break.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Had the same exact thing happen! the tip broke off and we drained the oil and successfully found it in the drained oil. We bought a used dipstick on ebay from the same year model and now just hoping that this one wont break.
It is not the dipstick tip that you found but somme thing else or the dealer did not show it to you and talked BS.
I suggest you have a look at the old and new part pictures or drawings and you will see that the end of the tube is CLOSED.

Last edited by squirel; 11-02-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 AM
Please stop saying that the end of the broken dipstick falls in the engine.
No Bentley dealer in France has suggested an oil drain for a broken dipstick tip.... as it is not necessary

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	t78f.png
Views:	4236
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	295830  

Last edited by squirel; 11-02-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 AM
urosrgn is on a distinguished road
I recently had a different dipstick problem on my 06 Flying Spur. I was getting intermittent CELs for code P403 (system too lean). It turns out the upper, outer black plastic housing on the dipstick tube was cracked and allowing a vacuum leak to occur. Had the dipstick unit changed out and no more check engine lights. Just something to watch out for.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM
silentspeed is on a distinguished road
Part number?

Anyone have the part number for new dipstick and assembly?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
The part # for a 2005 is 07C115611T. I ordered mine from Scuderia Systems in the UK.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM
silentspeed is on a distinguished road
Thank you

Originally Posted by PMS
The part # for a 2005 is 07C115611T. I ordered mine from Scuderia Systems in the UK.
Very kind, thank you.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 PM
rednoble is on a distinguished road
very useful thread, thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:39 PM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
I just had mine replaced at the dealer. $190 for the part and $220 for labor total of $410.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 AM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
Can the broken bits be sucked out of the dip stick tube with a vacuum oil change drainer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dipstick(broken tip)