Few questions from potential new Bentley owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned
BGTHEMOGUL is on a distinguished road
Question Few questions from potential new Bentley owner

Hi guys,

Just signed up on the forums after browsing around for a while and reading lots of threads. I currently drive a 2011 Mercedes E-Coupe that is fully loaded and I'm ready for a change and to take it up a notch. Two of my favorite cars are the Lamborghini Gallardo and the Bentley Continental GT. I'm deciding between one of these as my next vehicle and wanted to ask you current Bentley owners a few questions. Basically I'm looking to purchase a used 2004 maybe 2005 model since it looks very similar to the new 2012 model. I'm a young entertainment executive and have saved up some extra money for the purchase so it's about that time. Obviously I'm trying to get the "look" and "image" for the most practical cost. The average person wouldn't know the difference if they saw me driving down the street in a 2004/2005 model verses a 2012 model.

Is there anything specific that I should look out for with the 2004/2005 model? Is the Bentley due for a body change or makeover any time soon to where it would become an "outdated" model (overall body style wise) rather quickly? From the research I've done it looks like the going price for a 2004/2005 Continental GT with lower miles, clean carfax, 2 owners max, etc is around 65-75. Does that sound about right? Now I know all vehicles depreciate quickly but I would think buying one that's several years old like this would have already taken most of the depreciation by now. Would you say this is fairly accurate? I'm thinking I shouldn't take much of a hit, if any, if I was to purchase in the next month or two and sell a year or so later. Thoughts? Estimate annual cost in general maintenance assuming no major issues were to arise? (tires, oil changes, breaks, etc)

Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hi and welcome! Your pricing/year seems about right and the 2006 does have some Bluetooth and other improvements you might want. Still, just for visuals the 04 or 05 are fine of course. We have pretty much written about the 04/05 situation on other threads... with them being reliable and only the third (top center) brake light had a defective run back then and perhaps the rear parking brake sensor error. Other than that, these cars are very solid. As for TCO, i figure about $150 every 10k miles for oil changes (at my local VW dealer) and 'major' 40k mileservice is around $2,500. Every other year add about $300 for inside cabin air filters.

Hope this helps and the Bentley is a truly fine automobile

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Hello and welcome to Bentley. The model change just occurred in 2011 and 2012 so if you still like the older models in comparison then you are fine. Bentley did not drastically change the look of the car and that is good for owners of used cars. When the car is such an icon it does not pay to overly change the looks just for the sake of doing so.

I would not dispute TCO from Steven but would ask you to consider insurance rates and fuel cost that depends on driving style and range. Tires are not cheap on this car at around $450 each. I think most are reliable so hope for no majors.

When I bought my 07 last year I did not go into the deal thinking I would sell or trade within a year or two. If i was thinking that way I would have bought the Mercedes SL. I have always lost money on trades so I bought the best looking car and the most expensive I could afford to assure I would be satisfied for while.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Hi and welcome! Your pricing/year seems about right and the 2006 does have some Bluetooth and other improvements you might want. Still, just for visuals the 04 or 05 are fine of course. We have pretty much written about the 04/05 situation on other threads... with them being reliable and only the third (top center) brake light had a defective run back then and perhaps the rear parking brake sensor error. Other than that, these cars are very solid. As for TCO, i figure about $150 every 10k miles for oil changes (at my local VW dealer) and 'major' 40k mileservice is around $2,500. Every other year add about $300 for inside cabin air filters.

Hope this helps and the Bentley is a truly fine automobile
Thanks for the reply. Really only $150 for oil changes? I'm paying $120 now for my Mercedes so that's not much of a jump at all. If I picked up a car with 20-30k miles the next big service needed would be a 40k service? Is that $2,500 price the estimate from the dealership? Thanks for the help!

P.S. Besides Bluetooth are there any other MAJOR improvements going from the 2004/2005 to the 2006? Keep in mind I'm mostly looking for the "visual" and "cosmetics" like you mentioned above.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Hello and welcome to Bentley. The model change just occurred in 2011 and 2012 so if you still like the older models in comparison then you are fine. Bentley did not drastically change the look of the car and that is good for owners of used cars. When the car is such an icon it does not pay to overly change the looks just for the sake of doing so.

I would not dispute TCO from Steven but would ask you to consider insurance rates and fuel cost that depends on driving style and range. Tires are not cheap on this car at around $450 each. I think most are reliable so hope for no majors.

When I bought my 07 last year I did not go into the deal thinking I would sell or trade within a year or two. If i was thinking that way I would have bought the Mercedes SL. I have always lost money on trades so I bought the best looking car and the most expensive I could afford to assure I would be satisfied for while.
Thank you for the reply and the information. I thought I had read that Bentley had done their "face lift" in 2011 and 2012 somewhere but it didn't seem very drastic cosmetically to me so I thought I may have misread. That's great news because I still think the 2004/2005 models look extremely similar to the new ones minus some features like LED's, etc. 99% of non Bentley owners or enthusiasts I still believe wouldn't know the difference if I pulled up in an older model or the new one for the most part and since I'm mainly going for the visual and image that works well for me. Insurance is something I've definitely considered. I'll call and ask obviously before making the purchase. Any idea what I should expect it to jump up ballpark from my 2011 Mercedes E-Class that I have now?

Reason for me wanting to buy and sell a year or so down the road is because I feel like the car wouldn't have lost any real value during that time. The money I'm paying for my lease right now ($750/month) is $9,000 per year. If I pick one of these Bentley's up cash at a great deal say around $65k and drive for a year and sell it I find it hard to believe I will lose more than $9,000 on the car, if I lose at all. I think I might even be able to break even and get my full money back out of it. Then I can pick up another one and do the same. Follow what I'm trying to do here? I think it makes sense. LOL!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BGTHEMOGUL
Thank you for the reply and the information. I thought I had read that Bentley had done their "face lift" in 2011 and 2012 somewhere but it didn't seem very drastic cosmetically to me so I thought I may have misread. That's great news because I still think the 2004/2005 models look extremely similar to the new ones minus some features like LED's, etc. 99% of non Bentley owners or enthusiasts I still believe wouldn't know the difference if I pulled up in an older model or the new one for the most part and since I'm mainly going for the visual and image that works well for me. Insurance is something I've definitely considered. I'll call and ask obviously before making the purchase. Any idea what I should expect it to jump up ballpark from my 2011 Mercedes E-Class that I have now?

Reason for me wanting to buy and sell a year or so down the road is because I feel like the car wouldn't have lost any real value during that time. The money I'm paying for my lease right now ($750/month) is $9,000 per year. If I pick one of these Bentley's up cash at a great deal say around $65k and drive for a year and sell it I find it hard to believe I will lose more than $9,000 on the car, if I lose at all. I think I might even be able to break even and get my full money back out of it. Then I can pick up another one and do the same. Follow what I'm trying to do here? I think it makes sense. LOL!
My reasoning always makes sense to me so yours does to you.

I would not expect the insurance to be much different from what you are paying now. You are right that very few will be able to tell the year differences and many think mine is a new one. Where I live the Bentley GT is a rare car so few if any have seen the car before. Look for great paint and interiors and you will have the statement car you are looking for.

Have you drove one yet?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned
My reasoning always makes sense to me so yours does to you.

I would not expect the insurance to be much different from what you are paying now. You are right that very few will be able to tell the year differences and many think mine is a new one. Where I live the Bentley GT is a rare car so few if any have seen the car before. Look for great paint and interiors and you will have the statement car you are looking for.

Have you drove one yet?
That's good to hear about insurance. I didn't think it would be a drastic change since technically the cars are of equal value. Unfortunately down here in South Florida there are tons of Bentley's but it's still considered rare compared to the number of cars on the road. I actually think it's a good thing because it should make resale easier since there is a demand. I have drove a 2008 before but have not driven a 2004/2005. Any difference?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I doubt there is any noticeable difference in the ride from 04-08. Yes your environment is different that mine but I agree that an 04 would still be a statement car and not look outdated. I saw on another part of 6speed that one guy lived in a neighborhood where Audi R8's were common place and he did not want one for that reason. Post pictures when you get her.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
BGTHEMOGUL,

Yes oil changes are $150 from my local VW dealer. The basic 'core' if the car is many ways is the VW Phaeton with W12 engine. The 40k service at $2500 is what the dealer quotes and i think the 06 CGT here it came to around $2600 total. Note this is a full major so all four filters, various fluids, change all 12 spark plugs, install new windshield wipers, various checking and lubing and adjustments.... etc.

All in all, the real major difference began in the 2008 model as i recall, but that was internally and not really visually. The new 2012 models of course are the next 'generation'. Hope this helps.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 02-29-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned
I doubt there is any noticeable difference in the ride from 04-08. Yes your environment is different that mine but I agree that an 04 would still be a statement car and not look outdated. I saw on another part of 6speed that one guy lived in a neighborhood where Audi R8's were common place and he did not want one for that reason. Post pictures when you get her.
Thanks for the help and for chiming in on the thread.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned
BGTHEMOGUL,

Yes oil changes are $150 from my local VW dealer. The basic 'core' if the care is many ways is the VW Phaeton with W12 engine. The 40k service at $2500 is what the dealer quotes and i think the 06 CGT here it came to around $2600 total. Note this is a full major so all four filters, various fluids, change all 12 spark plugs, install new windshield wipers, various checking and lubing and adjustments.... etc.

All in all, the real major difference began in the 2008 model as i recall, but that was internally and not really visually. The new 2012 models of course are the next 'generation'. Hope this helps.
What are the MAJOR differences between the new 2012 models that are the new "generation" compared to the previous models like the 2004-2006 models? I'm referring to visually and cosmetically. Exterior wise.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM
I have read that the new ones have a more upright grill and slightly sharper body lines,i.e.. less round and more angular. I am not sure I could tell the difference on the road from 2010 and 2012 but I have not seen any of the new ones on the street. In your Miami crown you may have more discerning viewers.

Even if some one looks down on you for not having the '12 I am not sure they could tell by looking wether it was an 04 or 09, even up top 2011. Keep the thing super shinny and all they will say is wow!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Visually? Mainly the dropped center nose and more squared off back/trunk. Most people who have never seen 2006 versus 2012 at the same time would never really know the difference on the street imho.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Banned
I have read that the new ones have a more upright grill and slightly sharper body lines,i.e.. less round and more angular. I am not sure I could tell the difference on the road from 2010 and 2012 but I have not seen any of the new ones on the street. In your Miami crown you may have more discerning viewers.

Even if some one looks down on you for not having the '12 I am not sure they could tell by looking wether it was an 04 or 09, even up top 2011. Keep the thing super shinny and all they will say is wow!
I agree and I've seen several 2012's on the road but have not noticed any severe changes. Only knew they were 2012's because of the LED headlights.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned
Visually? Mainly the dropped center nose and more squared off back/trunk. Most people who have never seen 2006 versus 2012 at the same time would never really know the difference on the street imho.
Exactly what I was thinking and wanted to hear. I'm getting more excited to purchase just need to find the RIGHT buy and it's done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Few questions from potential new Bentley owner