Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Front lower control arms replaced!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:26 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Front lower control arms replaced!

Follow up from my previous dealer service post after vibrations detected in steering.

Finally found a garage that can service the GT and went for a wheel alignment. Told mech steering was slightly off to right and had vibrations. Mech checked car by slowly driving forward and braking whilst another mech observed wheel to notice a creep on the wheel. Car was jacked up and mech confirmed bushes on lower control arm were shot. Mech stuck a bar in the bushes and wiggled it to show how much play it had. I'm suprised the dealer didnt pick out this problem as when I asked before they said no need to replace. In my experience normally when upper arms are shot, lower aint too far behind for replacement.

I wanted to try another garage and these guys had a collection of cars in their workshop, 5 Bentley, 5 Lambo of which one had engine out and a lonely Porker. Quoted USD2,500 for 4 control arms, labor, wheel alignment and ecu check vs dealer USD4,200. The size and weight the control arms are monstrous but I guess needed considering how much the GT weighs.

Updates later....

J

Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jc_333
In my experience normally when upper arms are shot, lower aint too far behind for replacement.
Agree and is simply one of those 'While we are in there fixing it may as well also R/R the...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
djjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nice
Make sure you save your old parts, you can change the bushings with a hydralic press and save them for later if your ball joints are ok. A8 and phaeton bushings are compatible.

Last edited by djjoonie; 09-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Nice find on that garage. What a shame the dealers overcharge so much. What kind of milage was on the car?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Thanks DJ for the pointers but the ball joints were a bit loose too, few cracks in bushes. I noticed the shop reused old bolts as arms dont include any other hardware. Any issues reusing old bolts as I don't think they are stretch type?

Dr, can has 72,000kms on the clock but I guess ageing comes into play as well. Steering is dead straight now and feels as good as new. Attached pic of alignment printout from their Hunter setup.

Cheers
J

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 AM
djjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nice
Originally Posted by jc_333
Any issues reusing old bolts as I don't think they are stretch type?
There shouldnt be any problem reusing your old bolts. Now your car is just as new! It's time to enjoy!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations, glad she is all fixed. Now go out there and drive her

Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
72k gives me some time to save coin for the job.

Now take that fat beast out for wringing. No insult intended I love the full figured lady. See that sounds better that the fat ho I was going to call her.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Ok, ok Dr.Disaster... enough of your love for the ba dunk-a-dunk

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys for reassurance. Talking to the mech he told me the subframe was dropped slightly in order to remove arms, not a simply bolt in/out job.

Looking at the alignment printout how comes the front right caster at 4.05" is still within range (blue) when it should be 3.42 -/+0.30? Left is ok at 3.26".

I know front caster cross is slightly off by 0.09".

Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Ok, ok Dr.Disaster... enough of your love for the ba dunk-a-dunk
Yes and we should quit making fun of the cars weight. I bet it would not ride that well if she did loose a 1000lbs. I really do like the firm planted feel of this heavy car. I could have spent my $ on that light 911 that danced atop the road.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Ok, you win Dr.Disaster. She is a fat pig and has plenty of 'junk in the trunk'