Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

swapped old bentley key into new style key.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
REDNOSEGT will become famous soon enough
swapped old bentley key into new style key.

the guide on vw forum to do vw key into bentley key didnt help me that much there was some wrong info on how to split the new bentley key and what size torx bits needed, i did a lil damage on new key, but not bad for the first time. screw buying a new key from bentley and programming it! used my spare key and swapped it into my new style ebay special! new style key does not have panic button, on vw forum they state the rfid chip or whatever its called, i think in the bentley keys its built into the main board. car starts i have not driven it yet tho with the new key.

Attached Images    

Last edited by REDNOSEGT; 01-23-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Digger11 is on a distinguished road
Looks great. Was the ebay special an original Crewe part ? Or a Chinese knock off ?
Can u list the mistakes you made as I dont want to scratch my new key.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Nice little mod there and that key is what Bentley quality should feel like.

To take the new key apart one can use nose pliers at the key chain hole and twist to remove batt cover.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by jc_333
Nice little mod there and that key is what Bentley quality should feel like.

To take the new key apart one can use nose pliers at the key chain hole and twist to remove batt cover.

yes this is the first step and you always damage a little bit of plastic when you do this. you cant avoid it. you can try and use 2 small flat heads to pry it open to acess the battery, but thats just the first step.

then you just have to remove the chrome peices, first the one with that the key sits in, then the other side cover, its a nightmare to get these chrome peices off, almost gave up a couple times. i had to use a small sharp flat head and wedge it in between the plastic and the metal housing to get under and pry it up, its a real pain the ***.

after that you just swap internals and swap key blade and re-wind spring [took 10-15 mins to figure how to do that out, but its pretty simple and put everything back in reverse order.

it uses a t4 torx for the 2 small screws.

to pull apart the old style key you have to pop off the glued on bentley logo, there is a philips screw under this, after you remove the battery cover .

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Digger11
Looks great. Was the ebay special an original Crewe part ? Or a Chinese knock off ?
Can u list the mistakes you made as I dont want to scratch my new key.

100% original key, it was used and programmed and had a cut key in it. i was just going to do a blade swap and try and re program it , but this costed me nothing and did it myself. maybe somebody with a vag com or a programmer can just reprogram the key? i heard the dealer wont touch a pre-programmed key from another car. not sure??

i would never trust a cheap knock off and the original key feels nice and heavy and its built really well.

Last edited by REDNOSEGT; 01-24-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM
farmGT74 is on a distinguished road
Just ordered a used key off ebay today, I will be attempting this soon

Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
I wish the key weren't so heavy and bulky. I love the look of it, just not the bulge in my pocket or the way it pulls my shorts down! If Breitling were to make a watch for Bentley that would also operate the doors and ignition, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
I wish the key weren't so heavy and bulky. I love the look of it, just not the bulge in my pocket or the way it pulls my shorts down! If Breitling were to make a watch for Bentley that would also operate the doors and ignition, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
Me too. You never know, I think watches will make a comeback with all the interest going on with the iWatch and such. A watch these days has to do more than just be a status symbol, and when they do, the sales will follow like steel to a magnet!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
the old one just look like a audi style key.good job

Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
thanks guys

i might do my spare key if i find another new style gt key at a good deal

Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Marcus22 is on a distinguished road
I'm going to have to give this a shot!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for bumping this. Does all the older CGT come with older styled key? I just bought an 04 but it came with two new style keys. One is pretty worn out. I wonder if these were not originals?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Never seen an 04 with new style key
Dealer probably swapped it

Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 PM
cbarkly is on a distinguished road
Bump.
Anyone try this as well?
Any added advice? Successes? Failures?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 AM
It's a pain to get that chrome side piece off
I wanted to give up a couple times I had to walk away from it and come back later

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: swapped old bentley key into new style key.