Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Why is the Bentley V8 Slower than the Audi S8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
farris has a spectacular aura aboutfarris has a spectacular aura about
Why is the Bentley V8 Slower than the Audi S8?

Guys,

I have a few question that I wanted to ask:

- How can the Bentley Coupe way over 600lbs more than an S8 with the same engine?
- Why does the S8 have 20hp more, despite costing MUCH LESS?
I assume because they wanted the Bentley Speed to outperform the V8, but come on!
- What can a person expect with the Bentley V8 if they tuned it with Exhaust and Intake?

I have some info below to help, but question some of the performance times when compared to other sources.

S8

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $110,000

ENGINE TYPE: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 240 cu in, 3933 cc
Power (SAE net): 520 hp @ 5800 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 479 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode
DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 115.9 in
Length: 202.6 in
Width: 76.7 in Height: 57.4 in
Curb weight (C/D est): 4400 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec
Top speed: 155 mph

Bentley V8:
ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $176,000

ENGINE TYPE: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 244 cu in, 3993 cc
Power: 500 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 487 lb-ft @ 1700

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 108.1 in
Length: 189.2 in
Width: 76.5 in Height: 55.3 in
Curb weight: 5050 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec
Top speed: 185 mph

Having been in an S8 recently I was shocked how fast it felt compared to the Bentley V8. Trust me it is MUCH QUICKER.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
S8 construction is largely aluminum for weight reduction.

Both great cars.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Weight and I bet different gearing/engine mapping. Note standing 1/4-mile is about the same.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The Bentley is a heavier car and much more hand built therefore a considerable cost increase. The Audi's are very nice cars but the B has better interior finishings. I own a 07 GTC W12 and 2012 A7. I did drive the A8,. not the S8 but i think they are mostly differentiated by the motor??

With a tune you would more than make up for the 20hp possibly gaining 60 or so but the weight will still be a handicap if 0-60 is your main concern. There are a lot of factors, other than the motor that influence the weight of a car. If luxury, detail, status and style are key then the Bentley will be a good choice. Trust me Audi does not come close to a Bentley. If performance and cost are more important then the Audi S8 is a great car.

The Speed and the V8 are quite different and you have to choose your poison.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
The Bentley is a heavier car and much more hand built therefore a considerable cost increase. The Audi's are very nice cars but the B has better interior finishings. I own a 07 GTC W12 and 2012 A7. I did drive the A8,. not the S8 but i think they are mostly differentiated by the motor??

With a tune you would more than make up for the 20hp possibly gaining 60 or so but the weight will still be a handicap if 0-60 is your main concern. There are a lot of factors, other than the motor that influence the weight of a car. If luxury, detail, status and style are key then the Bentley will be a good choice. Trust me Audi does not come close to a Bentley. If performance and cost are more important then the Audi S8 is a great car.

The Speed and the V8 are quite different and you have to choose your poison.
I have driven a GT for a couple years and know the interior is as sexy as it gets, that's why I love it. The car I drove had a full exhaust and tune and the weight made it feel a bit slow (not a big kick to the head when foot is planted).

However, with the huge price difference compared to the S8, it just seems wrong that a two door Bentley from the same family (Volkswagen), is slower off the line than a four door Audi with the exact same engine. How much more does the interior cost... Come on. If it comes down to the use of aluminum, why not use aluminum.

After some thought.... They are probably going to release a new Super Sport that will cost close to double the V8 and have the performance that frankly the V8 is capable of having. This is the one thing I hate about car manufacturers and to be honest it is just bull**** to make bigger profits.

Some may not agree with me, but it is my .02

Last edited by farris; 04-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by farris
I have driven a GT for a couple years and know the interior is as sexy as it gets, that's why I love it. The car I drove had a full exhaust and tune and the weight made it feel a bit slow (not a big kick to the head when foot is planted).
Suspension setting can be deceiving as for how a human perceives speed/acceleration. Of course I assume you did actual time trials for true real-world comparison.

However, with the huge price difference compared to the S8, it just seems wrong that a two door Bentley from the same family (Volkswagen), is slower off the line than a four door Audi with the exact same engine.
Nope, weight and other bits are very different. So ???? A mere 2 liter engine and MANUAL 4-gear Hewland box can beat them both, but again weight and perhaps different gearing is the real difference.

How much more does the interior cost...
Go ahead and hire seasoned professionals who can make an interior and find out the costs. Here's an idea, buy the A8 and redo the interior to how you like it. Yes odds are it may be cheaper than the Bentley, yet you still have an Audi, now modded...

After some thought.... They are probably going to release a new Super Sport that will cost close to double the V8 and have the performance that frankly the V8 is capable of having. This is the one thing I hate about car manufacturers and to be honest it is just bull**** to make bigger profits.
Yeah, damn them and Ferrari and _____ and also ____ for doing those things. So you can either wait or just have GIAC or others mod/flash/chip/exhaust your car.

Some may not agree with me, but it is my .02
Just get the A8 as obviously you want speed over creature comforts. That is what is so great as you DO have choices. It is like yachts, you can get a 'cheap' one made that is fast, but don't expect the interior to have true creature comforts like the Big Boys... unless you have more $$,$$$ to $$$,$$$ to afford it.

So with all this speed, am sure you plan to track the car, yes? I mean, you want all this power and performance, so am curious where do you plan on actually using it? England has MANY speed cameras and France has been cracking down hard on speeders. Hopefully you go to Germany often

Am surprised you aren't considering a modded souped-up Lotus or Ariel Atom

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-09-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Buddilly is on a distinguished road
Try to focus on this: it is a GT car and not a sports car. It is okay if there are faster cars, even with the same motor, because top performance isn't the purpose of this car. It is a very quick luxury/GT car. There are other great options for all-out performance!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
You really must drive both cars and see if your numbers mean what you think they do. I think the Transporter in the movies drove the S8 and he had plenty of power to outrun all kinds of bad gays.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
DrD, am surprised you did not suggest he chip/mod the Bentley, as then it would easily smoke the S8.

In all fairness the 8-series Audi is a very good car... yet it is not a Bentley, or McLaren or BMW or Ferrari.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
DrD, am surprised you did not suggest he chip/mod the Bentley, as then it would easily smoke the S8.

In all fairness the 8-series Audi is a very good car... yet it is not a Bentley, or McLaren or BMW or Ferrari.
I have not seen a chip for the V8 GT yet but i am sure it is coming. What if you tune the S8 also will the Bentley still be the losing car?

Put bluntly we are biased to the Bentley and on the Audi forum they will be the opposite. Also the S8 is a sedan and thew Bentley a GT. There is a lot more room for passengers in the four door and on and on therefore these are not competing cars.

The original question was about cost for performance and in that case like you mentioned there are other cars to consider.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
The reason I was comparing the S8 to the Bentley is because they share the same engine. For an S8 to have 20hp more and beat the GT off the line just seems wrong to me. Yes they are different cars, yes they suit different needs, but for a 4 door Audi with the same engine to beat the 2 door GT off the line is just wrong in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I would still choose the GT over an S8, but it still bothers me.

I drove a GT with Exhaust and Tune for a couple of years and have to say the weight killed the performance imho (the car did have heavy 21s). The only real pros of the GT compared to other cars is the presence and the uber interior.

Here is a pic of the GT

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM
farris i think I understand you better, thanks. That kind of stuff bugs me to. Heck a four door saloon faster than a sporty GT??? Merc makes insane fast family cars also and they do sell so people want them.

Now to the issue of the 20hp remember these are manufacturers claims. Certainly we do not believe, as gospel, all of the things they say. If it is true and was determined on the same dynamometer on the say day under same conditions then we must assume it is due to the tune. Oh and the wheels and tires must be exactly the same because these will influence numbers. It is easy to change a turbo car by that much.

I like the description as "uber interior".

If you really want to get irritated look at the Nissan GTR. For that little $ you can eat the big boys.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Farris, yes indeed... and DrD is right too. Agree the Bentley GT-series are heavy cars (i.e. Fat Pigs we jokingly call them). Weight is a performance killer, and weight high up (off the ground) is bad too... as is heavy unsprung weight. Bentley has done a very good job during dynamic handling at trying to hide this weight fact, yet she is what she is (a Fat Pig).

But wow what style, elegance and build quality! Real-world USABLE power to pass people and true Grand Touring.... Bentley FTW

As we all know, there is no car that can do it all.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
No one will ever pull up next to you and say nice Audi it's faster than a Bentley LOL.. every time I drive my B someone pulls up next to me and starts a convo with me that wont even happen if u have a R8...

Cliff

Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I want to be careful and not inflame the Audi crowd but the S8 looks very much like the A8. Maybe a badge or minor trim addition correct? The GT only resembles the Bentley.

Now look what is happening to the Bentley marca. They are being cross shopped with the Audis as they should be for down building the GT.

BTW big discovery!!!!! They are not the same motors as the displacement is different.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 04-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is the Bentley V8 Slower than the Audi S8?