Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Speedometer Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Speedometer Accuracy?

Do you think your speedo is accurate? I am not sure if I mentioned this before but when ever I go past one of those mobile detector devices it always shows my speed lower than what the cars gauge reads. What could cause this?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Different rims and tires (rolling radius) plus the usual manufacturer 'error'.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Different rims and tires (rolling radius) plus the usual manufacturer 'error'.
I have 20's on my car now and I have not seen that wheel anywhere yet on any other car. If it came stock with 19's could have caused the speedo error. Please discuss how changing sizes affects the readings. My wheels are a seven spoke chrome 20 have you seen that one before?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Tires.... look up the tire's rotations per mile spec. I can easily see speedo diff between stock P Zero and the Blizzak LM60.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Try a GPS against the digital read out on the dash.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
Speedometer Accuracy?

Reply to an old post --- I have 20" Mulliner package rims which came with the car as a factory option. I am consistently about 3 mph higher on the speedometer than radar signs indicate. On another car approaching the same sign it is spot on. It's my understanding that rim size should make no difference as tire sidewalls are adjusted to compensate which I guess is why we see the ultra narrow sidewalls on extreme 22,23,24" rims.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Rabent is on a distinguished road
Some time ago, maybe 5 to 6 years in a magazine review, i read that the Bentley Continental GT had a speedometre missreading of around 7-8%. I was surprised a car like this had such a big error margin because at 320km/h on a highway its a very big difference

Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rabent
Some time ago, maybe 5 to 6 years in a magazine review, i read that the Bentley Continental GT had a speedometre missreading of around 7-8%. I was surprised a car like this had such a big error margin because at 320km/h on a highway its a very big difference
That's what I am experiencing --- 42mph on radar display vs 45mph on my speedometer. My speedo always high

Old 04-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
I have a 2007 mulliner with 20" speed wheels and my speedometer is at least 5 - 6 mph off when I go though speed zones with radar showing my speed.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:28 AM
Rabent is on a distinguished road
If you think about it, its the fastest and cheapest way of getting extra performance without extra cost of fuel or other expensive alternatives, and its also good for the planet. Well thought by Bentley, just tweak the speedometre.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 AM
pwc6t3 is on a distinguished road
speedo

Legally they can be up to 10% off the speed reading as long as they are reading fast, they legally cannot show you going slower than you actually are. All my British cars (Lotus, Bentley, Aston Martin) all have been reading almost 10% fast from the factory.
When I put larger wheels and tires on my Ford it threw off the speedo by 6% so non stock combinations can also affect it.
Paul

Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Rabent
If you think about it, its the fastest and cheapest way of getting extra performance without extra cost of fuel or other expensive alternatives, and its also good for the planet. Well thought by Bentley, just tweak the speedometre.

You THINK you are getting performance.

My Harley Davison motorcycles are the same way. It may help keep me from getting to many speeding tickets.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 PM
bentley toy will become famous soon enough
I found this post after a search for an incorrect speedometer reading. So i'm 6 MPH faster. At 80 the GPS speed is actually 74. So that equates to ruffly 1/5 of a mile additional for every mile driven. So if a vehicle has say 50,000 mile on it that would be an additional 2500 mile on the speedometer. If my math is correct. But the big question is this something that can be reprogrammed with VAS maybe? Anyone have or had and corrected this problem? T

Old 09-15-2016, 07:18 AM
pwc6t3 is on a distinguished road
Speedo

Originally Posted by bentley toy
I found this post after a search for an incorrect speedometer reading. So i'm 6 MPH faster. At 80 the GPS speed is actually 74. So that equates to ruffly 1/5 of a mile additional for every mile driven. So if a vehicle has say 50,000 mile on it that would be an additional 2500 mile on the speedometer. If my math is correct. But the big question is this something that can be reprogrammed with VAS maybe? Anyone have or had and corrected this problem? T

Your math doesn't appear to be correct. You are over by 6/74 which is around 8.1%, which is within the legal limits. 1/5th would be 20%. Also I don't believe the Odometer is tied to your Speedometer. Tampering with the odometer is very likely illegal. Simple way for you to check is to use the mile markers on the side of the road. It will be obvious if it is off by the 8%. I checked mine, speedometer off by just under 10%, odometer was spot on correct.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I have the 'Torque pro' app on my Android with a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the OBD socket.
The true speed as shown by the on-board diagnostics is always lower than the speedo.
When I upgraded my wheels to 20" the difference was less as the rolling radius was slightly greater.

As for GPS, it's normally more accurate on a level road so don't try it on hills.

Les.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Accuracy?