Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Steering Wheel Vibration and Bearing Type Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
Steering Wheel Vibration and Bearing Type Noise

Hi all

I've had my 2005 CGT for about 2 weeks now and I noticed a shimmy in the steering wheel at around 55-65 mph so commented to the none franchise dealer I bought from.

I assumed it was wheel balancing given the speed it occurs and was going to just get that done locally to see if it cured it but in use today I started to hear a whirring type noise at low speeds when coming off the gas, like a wheel bearing going out sort of noise.

Its the first time its rained hard since I got her so perhaps that's played a part in the noise?

Could the 2 be linked or separate issues?

Thanks

Carl

Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
just for information ,we did used to do a lot of wheel bearings on the early cars,thats not to say thats your problem,need to get car on ramp and spin up the wheels and listen properly to each bearing to verify if thats your case.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Surprised to hear its in need of a wheel bearing after 54k miles

I assume the wheel wobble is just tyre balance?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
its a heavy car,which is no excuse ,yes wheel wobble is probably balance issue.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
The noise seems to change from a squeaky type of noise when driving at speed to a harsh metallic groan and is at its worst when stopping or moving very slowly and applying the brakes, so much so that I'm now wondering if its a lazy caliper but none if the wheels seem hot so its hard to tell.

The noise is very prominent when stopping and if I release the brake pedal a little but still on it the noise is very clear.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM
what have you left on the brake pad thickness,these pads start at 16mm and min is not your normal 3mm,yes they do have sensors but are they working ? need to put on ramp and have a good look stationary and with some one in car spinning wheels up.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Think i found the problem, still quite shaken up so if some of this is mispelt or doesnt make sense please take that into account.

The wheel has shed about half of the bolts and has come apart, tyre just blew out on me causing swerve through the traffic lights to a stop. The rim centre is loose inside the outer ring, see the pic below.

My family were with me and i just drove home at motorway speeds.

The car was purchased 2 weeks ago, what should I do?

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 AM
oh those rims are not meant to be taken apart,i would contact dealer who sold it,if you are not happy with there comeback to you contact VOSA and trading standards,before any car is sold it should undertake a safety check and include wheels and tyres in that check,i would ask for the safety check report and go from there.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Is there a way I can tell if they have been refurbed recently? They are very clean for their age and ofcourse the bolts coming out suggest they have been but some way if telling would be useful?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
if you can see any witness marks on them from the tool used,check each bolt carefully,thats about all i can suggest.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:31 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Glad your ok Carlos as that must of been scary!

As Bentleytech suggest check bolts for any signs and if I have a paint gauge you could check thickness to see if they have been sprayed. Of coz u need to compare with another GT wheel but just a suggestion.

Hope it all works out but someone needs to be held responsible.

J