Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

APR is tuning the V8 4.0T engine - 650 HP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
AutoBond007 is on a distinguished road
APR is tuning the V8 4.0T engine - 650 HP!

I took a colleague’s Audi S8 to lunch after he swore up and down it was more powerful than my Conti GT V8 8-Speed. We both have the same engine and according to both Audi and Bentley, they are nearly the same. They have nearly the same horsepower and the Conti has a little more torque so I assumed the experience would be fairly identical to my own car, with mine slightly faster. It wasn’t even close!

He recently purchased an APR chip tune for the S8 and now it’s supposedly putting out nearly 650 horsepower and far more torque. I can’t describe this thing. I quite literally got sucked back into the seat at full throttle just like I do in my tuned 997t. It was exciting, but my ego was bruised. His S8’s putting down more power than the GT Speed.

That sealed the deal for me as far as chip tuning goes. I searched for their Bentley tune, but they only listed the Audi models. I called and apparently the S8 and the GT V8 and V8 S are the same with different tuning from Audi and Bentley. APR wants to verify the tune on the dyno before I can purchase it.

The guy I spoke to was willing to give the tune for free if I could visit them in Auburn Alabama, but I can’t see myself making that trip any time soon. They said they would offer the same to anyone I could direct their way, and that in doing so I could get the tune locally once it was verified, so I took down his email and here I am. If anyone can pay them a visit, they said to contact Aaron for all the details at aahnell@goapr.com.

If someone can do it, please respond so I know how long until the wait is over!

Last edited by AutoBond007; 01-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
you and me both man!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:58 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
"Conti GT V8 S"

I did not know that any S models were in the hands of customers yet.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
AutoBond007 is on a distinguished road
It should read GT V8 8-Speed, not S. I have the 500 horsepower model.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:48 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Ok...that makes sense. I have the V-8 also and I am watching for a ECU tune to come out for our model. GIAC claims to be developing one as per one of their company reps that posts in this section. As for the V-8, the salesmen all stated that the V-8 and the W-12 differences, as felt by the driver, are imperceptible. I beg to differ in opinion as I have driven both. The W-12 I drove (2006) had less lag from a dead stop to about 30mph at equivalent throttle input. I know torque values on the V-8 reach high levels at 1700rpm but from idle to that rpm (essentially the zone that both motors will be ingesting air closer to ambient pressure and operating more or less naturally aspirated) you cannot beat the grunt of 2 extra liters/4 extra cylinders. I would like to be able to get the 8 more on par with the 12 with exhaust and ECU mods.....provided the Mrs. is on board.

Last edited by robinardoin; 01-05-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Hey Robin I would think your are close enough to drive over for a free tune, why not. Heck even Auto Bond is not to far to drive.

I wonder how much boost they have to dial up to get the V8s to make 650hp? I would ask that question for sure.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM
If my car was out of warranty and was not a DD I would be interested. I don't think I would want to get that much HP out of it however. I don't relish the idea of a an engine/transmission rebuild early in its life. Now about 75-80 HP would not scare me.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robinardoin
Ok...that makes sense. I have the V-8 also and I am watching for a ECU tune to come out for our model. GIAC claims to be developing one as per one of their company reps that posts in this section. As for the V-8, the salesmen all stated that the V-8 and the W-12 differences, as felt by the driver, are imperceptible. I beg to differ in opinion as I have driven both. The W-12 I drove (2006) had less lag from a dead stop to about 30mph at equivalent throttle input. I know torque values on the V-8 reach high levels at 1700rpm but from idle to that rpm (essentially the zone that both motors will be ingesting air closer to ambient pressure and operating more or less naturally aspirated) you cannot beat the grunt of 2 extra liters/4 extra cylinders. I would like to be able to get the 8 more on par with the 12 with exhaust and ECU mods.....provided the Mrs. is on board.
We will be supporting the V8 model Bentleys with software very shortly. I should have more information to post very soon.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by robinardoin
If my car was out of warranty and was not a DD I would be interested. I don't think I would want to get that much HP out of it however. I don't relish the idea of a an engine/transmission rebuild early in its life. Now about 75-80 HP would not scare me.
No doubt, hate to void a warranty. When I did a tune on my 07' I voiced concerns about going to far and risking reliability/drivability. I did settle on a tune of modest gains like you spoke of with about a 90hp gain from the W12. I have put on over 12K since the tune and have not had any issues.

The Bentley Conti is a nice strong car but will never morph into some racer or track car.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM
nreddy is on a distinguished road
any updates from V8 ecu tuning from all vendors
Have a 2013 V8 with sport exhaust