Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Pilot Super Sport vs A/S 3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BentleyF
not to brag but I did 200mph (6 runs) and wore out all 4 tires to the cords and these were factory installed 20" yokohama. Tires was fairly new at the time all 4 wore on the very inside almost unnoticable. Point is that tires are going to wear at that speed no matter what the rating are. I have never done that speed again. i did hit 190 but the got a dong and message that said coolant temp too hot. needless to say i let off. weird thing is temp needle never left 200 degrees
Atta boy, I bow! So it not only takes guts and the right road but plenty of $$$$$$ to "Max Out".

Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
If you are looking for the best ride quality, go with the AS/3. All seasons will have a softer ride because the tread blocks are a bit more spread out, cushioning the bumps. You will however give up a bit of cornering performance over the Super Sport if that's the route you take. I can tell you that reviews we have received on the AS/3 so far have for the most part been very good for cornering.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
If you are looking for the best ride quality, go with the AS/3. All seasons will have a softer ride because the tread blocks are a bit more spread out, cushioning the bumps. You will however give up a bit of cornering performance over the Super Sport if that's the route you take. I can tell you that reviews we have received on the AS/3 so far have for the most part been very good for cornering.
Thanks Damon I'm about to take that advice.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
DrD, just mounted the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and they feel really good. Quieter than the OEM Pirelli P Zero and they feel more connected to the road. Hard braking seems to have more grip/slows down faster. Turn in is smoother too. Pressures are set at 47F/44R.

BEWARE: They were JUST mounted so they really need about 500 miles to settle in, so take all the above with a HUGE 'grain of salt'. Will chime back in here in a month or two with final thoughts and pressure settings as I might go down a touch to 45F/42R.

ADDED: Settled on 44F and 40R rear pessures.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-12-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for your feedback Steven. Although my GTC only has about 2300 miles it is my wife's DD so I'd anticipate a tire swap in the next 16 months. Mo' info, mo' betta'.

Robin

Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Steven I must be getting old fast because I am considering to wimp out and get the even softer all season A/S3.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Nice...do keep us posted as its good to have options vs OE Pzero.

What was the damage for the set and did they balance out with minimum weights added?

J

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
DrD, just mounted the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and they feel really good. Quieter than the OEM Pirelli P Zero and they feel more connected to the road. Hard braking seems to have more grip/slows down faster. Turn in is smoother too. Pressures are set at 47F/44R.

BEWARE: They were JUST mounted so they really need about 500 miles to settle in, so take all the above with a HUGE 'grain of salt'. Will chime back in here in a month or two with final thoughts and pressure settings as I might go down a touch to 45F/42R.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
DrD, A/S3 should be fine.

J, they balanced well with minimal weighs needed. Price was about $125 more than Tire Rack but that included balancing and of course no shipping cost needed. The $75 REBATE begins April 15. Date code on tires were around 50 week of 2013.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-02-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
Just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The car has 40,000 miles and went through 2 sets of OEM Pirelli P Zero so figured I would try something else. We will see what happens.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by vanslam
Just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The car has 40,000 miles and went through 2 sets of OEM Pirelli P Zero so figured I would try something else. We will see what happens.
I bet you like them. If you can give up the over 186mph speed? You were lucky to get that many miles out the P Zero IMO. Do let us know what you think if the ride.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vanslam
Where did you order them from? I only saw the A/S 3 on tire rack a few weeks ago. My wife's GTC needs new shoes with only 9,900 miles on them (tread wear is just beyond the warranty limits and the tires have a "shimmy" that could not be balanced out with weights). I was just about to order the A/S3's but I would prefer the Pilot super sports.

Last edited by robinardoin; 11-26-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:26 AM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
Tire Rack had them as well as the place that will be putting them on.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Looks like they don't have them in the size I need- 275/25-21.` Looks like A/S3's for her sled.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by robinardoin
Looks like they don't have them in the size I need- 275/25-21.` Looks like A/S3's for her sled.
Darn shame when you are forced to make the best choice.

IMO the A/S3 are ideal for the wife's car because they ride better and last longer. You will give up some ultra speed and a little grip but unless the ole lady is a tire sliding drag queen she won't miss em.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:06 AM
"unless the ole lady is a tire sliding drag queen" Uhhh...no Mel...I don't think so unless her transgender operation was wildly successful.

Your right about the A/S3 tire in my application. I don't thrash her vehicle...any more!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs A/S 3?