Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Pilot Super Sport vs A/S 3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Pilot Super Sport vs A/S 3?

Looks like two tires are available from Michelin for the GTC. I have seen the Pilot Siper Sport recommended but what about the new A/S 3? I just put those on my wife's Audi A7 and they look and ride very nicely. They do look like they would ride and last better than the Super Sport with a nicer looking tread pattern. Are the Super Sports all season?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Super Sport is summer tire and good in rain yet no snow/ice.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The new model A/S3 is all season and has a better looking tread design with a greater wear life but may be less performance oriented. I then wonder if the new A/S 3 would be a better all around choice if i finally decide that the GTC is not a track race car?:roll eyes:

I also believe those rubber compounds on the summer tires get hard and slick even in the dry cold. I mean I know they will not do snow and ice but worry about the dry sub freezing weather also.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
A/S3 may be best for your year 'round driving. Just make sure you choose a size with high weight spec (over 2000 lbs load).

Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
A/S3 may be best for your year 'round driving. Just make sure you choose a size with high weight spec (over 2000 lbs load).
Roger dat. It comes up on a search as a match for the GTC but i would confirm with a dealer before ordering any tires.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I think the load ratting is good to go on the car but the max speed is rated a186. I wonder if that will be a problem. That brings up another thread about how fast have you actually driven your car.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:35 PM
186 is fine for your location/driving. Have a feeling you'll never have sustained 165mph for more than 3 minutes. If we lived in Germany or other no-limits locations.... yet no worries.

Unless you plan to take her to the salt flats.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Truth for sure mate. My trip up to the 165 mark was for two seconds and then it was right back down to a loafing 75.

I'm thinking quiet tires and better longevity are better to have than that last 15mph to 200.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM
nycabman will become famous soon enough
Have the AS3's on my wifes BMW 650xdrive vert, great tire, quiet, and was fantastic in the light snow this winter in NY. In addition, this is a tire that performs well in all temperatures, rain, and can stay on all year long, and handles like a performance tire. I have the the Super Sports on my 911 Targa 4S, and is an amazingly grippy, quiet, and fantastic performance tire. They are not meant for cold temps, snow, and will certainly wear faster than the AS3's.

That said, based on your location, the Super Sports would do fine, may not last as long, but would give you the performance, and would look great on your ride.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks NYCabMan for chiming in with the great info.

The Mich PSS have better lifespan than the OEM Pirelli and, frankly, I have always disliked the way the Pirelli tires just break loose on their grip versus the Mich's progressive feel as they lose grip during spirited cornering/driving.

DrD, seems to me if you drive the car in light snow or during very cold temps below 40F the A/S3 may be the way to go. If only during over 40F days then the PSS is a good choice. FYI: Starting April 1 there is a $75 rebate on Mich tires

Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by nycabman
Have the AS3's on my wifes BMW 650xdrive vert, great tire, quiet, and was fantastic in the light snow this winter in NY. In addition, this is a tire that performs well in all temperatures, rain, and can stay on all year long, and handles like a performance tire. I have the the Super Sports on my 911 Targa 4S, and is an amazingly grippy, quiet, and fantastic performance tire. They are not meant for cold temps, snow, and will certainly wear faster than the AS3's.

That said, based on your location, the Super Sports would do fine, may not last as long, but would give you the performance, and would look great on your ride.
Thank you so much for posting. It is great that you actually have both tires and can comment with experience and certainty. I had made up my mind some months ago to go with the Super Sports but after seeing the qualities of the AS3 compared to the SS I was reconsidering my choice. See my other thread "Maxed Out" for the rest of the story.

Your Targa is probably more of a true sports car and needs those tires but I am questioning the need for such grippy tires on the GT. I have worn out a set of the OEM Pirelli PZero Rosso in 18K miles and they are a bit loud and probably not as easy of a ride. Being a GT car I am doubtful that i really need all that grip and speed but pay the price for it in $ and milage.

Would you be happy with the AS3 on the Targa?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 AM
I do not drive the 911 in the winter months so would not get the true benefits of the AS3's, plus I do not think they even make them in that size. For a better comparison, I also just changed to Super Sports on my Aston Martin Virage from Pirelli, what a difference in road noise, handling, and comfort. There is a ton of technology in the SS's and they really provide a great balance of performance and comfort for touring cars. All in all, think AS3's would give you longer wear without much of a performance sacrifice.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM
I think you may be right. I hate to let the Bentley sit for long periods in the winter and would not mind having more confidence it the cold dry days. Forget the snow, I'll take the beater truck. Do you miss the 911 in the winter months?

I have a trip to Florida coming up in May and am looking foreword to getting better tires for an all day ride.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Normally yes, miss driving it, but not this winter - we had snow, salt, and potholes since early dec here. finally melting, it has been nice to see it clean, and battery conditioner charging...safe travels.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
not to brag but I did 200mph (6 runs) and wore out all 4 tires to the cords and these were factory installed 20" yokohama. Tires was fairly new at the time all 4 wore on the very inside almost unnoticable. Point is that tires are going to wear at that speed no matter what the rating are. I have never done that speed again. i did hit 190 but the got a dong and message that said coolant temp too hot. needless to say i let off. weird thing is temp needle never left 200 degrees

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs A/S 3?