Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Modified exhausts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Modified exhausts.

After listening to a modified Supersports at my Indie garage last week I thought, I would like mine to sound like that. It was awsome.
However, my Indie did say that it droned a bit at speed and another customer had the same exhaust, which was just the rear silencers, taken off due to the droning. I do a lot of miles so have to be sensible.

So, remembering my old Ford Cortina V8 that I used to Drag race, I had an idea.
This is what I found;

They can even be remote controlled via a fob and opened to various degrees.
There's plenty of room for these just before the rear silencers and at around £350 is a cheap option.

I might just go this route when my missus isn't looking.

What do you guys think?

Les.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Just in case our American friends don't know what a Cortina was, here's a picture of mine.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:14 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
my dad drove a cortina "back in the day" in florida. i cant remember if the rust or inadequate engine convinced him to get rid of it. like our bentleys i assume cortinas are much improved now

Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Hi larryr.

Maybe that's why I swapped the straight 4 for a V8. Certainly went better.

As for the Cortina, they ceased production in 1982. They are very sought after these days as a true classic should be.

Here's a little story for you.
After I swapped mine for a 73 Camaro LT, the Cortina was stolen and used in a gold bullion robbery in Manchester, England. It was eventually recovered by the cops and stored for 5 years until the robbers were found and arrested. After that, it was auctioned off. Unfortunately, a short while afterwards, it was broken into and set on fire. It was totalled and went for scrap.
Shame really as it took me 5 years to build that car. All done on the street as I had no garage in those days. Even the paint job!
Happy days.

Les.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
i cant top that but i bought a 10 year old corvette with a beat up small block instead of the original big block. i was the 5th owner of the car. the third owner tracked me down and offered to buy back the vette. he had raced it for several years and ran out of $ so he kept the engine but sold the car. i offered to buy the engine and we went back and forth for several years. finally he called and said i win. i over paid but worth it. i enjoyed many years of overheating in traffic, no air conditionung, no power steering. oddly it did have power windows. all the more reason to enjoy the bentley

Old 05-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I bought the Fabspeed pipes system and ECU tune and am very happy with the results. There is some drone in the 1300-1500 rpm range but that is very manageable with the paddles.

Are you interested in performance gain or only sound? I did see a GT with a remote controlled waste gate that was insanely loud. It was past the point of being in gentlemanly good taste.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I have a quick silver sports exhaust and although it makes me smile from ear to ear , imo its just embarrassing on start up . Great in front of the Petrol Head fraternity but not so good starting up at 4am in the morning to go on a long run.
Am I correct in saying the computer opens up the waste gates on cold start up to enable the cats to heat up quicker. i wish they didn't. Thats my only issue .....cold start up. Embarasing in the wrong company or time of day.
But overall I am please with the sound .

Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 AM
It was the sound that got my attention Dr.Disaster, but any power gains would be a big bonus.

Les.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ExSF
It was the sound that got my attention Dr.Disaster, but any power gains would be a big bonus.

Les.
Like Sunnyside said at times more is good and others not so. That controllable system may be the ticket for you. I doubt you will get performance gains and that means you just sound faster. In my mind that is a poser type of thing. I hate the guys that put the extra loud pipes of their Harley's to sound bad azz and since they have altered the AFR they actually produce less hp/tq.

It is your car and your money so spend in a way that pleases YOU!.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
ExSF, I'm not sure its a good idea.
that's a Bentley, after all not a souped up Cortina, and you're not going to use it for drag racing anyway!

I was tempted to follow the same route with the Maserati but after spending 2 hours in one of my friend car with a modified exhaust I decided not to.
just my 2 cents...

Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with ULSTRUP, an perhaps I've grown tired of loud, droning sound from a Grand Touring car. Look, if this was a Lambo or Pagani.... yet we're talking a fat heavy pig Bentley. IMHO it will never be a proper sports car plus it is very, very slow in the way the engine acceleration sound happens (probably due to a hefty clutch/flywheel holding things back).

But hey, this is JMHO and feel free to mod your car. i've lived with such things within a highly modded Ferrari, yet on a pretty much stock Bentley it seem pretty silly. Maybe if you highly lighten the flywheel/clutch assembly, lose about 1500 lbs of overall weight, etc, then we're starting to get within the ballpark. Even the Bentley GT3-R failed miserably at anything truly useful as compared to a true agile and lightweight sports car.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 AM
After paying the next instalment on repairs tomorrow I might not have any spare cash left anyway. It's going to be a painful bill I'm sure.
I'm still doing the house renovation too, so money is too tight for toys at the moment.

Les.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Agree with ULSTRUP, an perhaps I've grown tired of loud, droning sound from a Grand Touring car. Look, if this was a Lambo or Pagani.... yet we're talking a fat heavy pig Bentley. IMHO it will never be a proper sports car plus it is very, very slow in the way the engine acceleration sound happens (probably due to a hefty clutch/flywheel holding things back).

But hey, this is JMHO and feel free to mod your car. i've lived with such things within a highly modded Ferrari, yet on a pretty much stock Bentley it seem pretty silly. Maybe if you highly lighten the flywheel/clutch assembly, lose about 1500 lbs of overall weight, etc, then we're starting to get within the ballpark. Even the Bentley GT3-R failed miserably at anything truly useful as compared to a true agile and lightweight sports car.
I would disagree slightly on the acceleration aspect. As the Bentley is a semi-auto you have to know how to do standing start. My DMS modded speed accelerates from 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds as measured by Vbox. It would go quicker but i'm not the driver atm who can squeeze that last bit of performance. I will keep trying.
I will try and get some 60-130 pulls next time I borrow the vbox.

I've had a few modded cars in my time including a Groub B rally car back in the 80's I have petrol running through my veins but I'm getting older and just dont want the effort of driving an all out sports car. I want some level of extra comfort, ive worked hard for it and my retired military body just isnt as forgiving as it used to be....BUT that said I still want to feel my bladder being pushed out my *** hole when I accelerate.
The standard w12 speed is OK but just lacks that edge of performance and exhaust sound . But with my DMS tuned (700 bhp and 720 ft/lbs torque) I find my self quite satisfied. The GT Speed isn't supposed to be a Gentleman's car (you buy a Flying Spur for that), its a footballers car, a boxers car, a car for the person wanting exhilaration and long distance comfort who dosn't want to look like a young " Street Racer".
There are no doubt much better cars on singular levels but for all round "X" factor the GT Speed ticks all the boxes.
Except its too bloody loud on cold start up . lol

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 05-20-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Well if the money is gone we are just talking to be talking. If I made money traveling with my car and needed to log long hours wether I wanted to or not i would not have modified my exhaust. Since this car is primarily a pleasure ride I choose to have more sound but not empty sound. I liked the idea of boosting performance on my GT car so I did the pipe and ECU tune. I do not like the idea of opening up the back of a motor without knowing the whole thing is tuned for that. I know I do not have the McLaren 650S or the Ferrari but did want a bad azz Bentley. I have it but live with the drone. BTW I invite a friendly race with a GTC Speed. Any regular GT can have the power of the speed with a tune and pipe.

I wonder do any of you all know how they get more power out of the Speed? Did they make a new motor? I doubt it. Probably a pipe and ECU flash.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Well if the money is gone we are just talking to be talking. If I made money traveling with my car and needed to log long hours wether I wanted to or not i would not have modified my exhaust. Since this car is primarily a pleasure ride I choose to have more sound but not empty sound. I liked the idea of boosting performance on my GT car so I did the pipe and ECU tune. I do not like the idea of opening up the back of a motor without knowing the whole thing is tuned for that. I know I do not have the McLaren 650S or the Ferrari but did want a bad azz Bentley. I have it but live with the drone. BTW I invite a friendly race with a GTC Speed. Any regular GT can have the power of the speed with a tune and pipe.

I wonder do any of you all know how they get more power out of the Speed? Did they make a new motor? I doubt it. Probably a pipe and ECU flash.
Some of the main differences are:
New stronger pistons with less friction.
New lighter and forged con rods
New oil/ lub system
Modifications to the head for better cooling
Re designed cooling system.
Cam shaft profile changes
There are more smaller less significant differences but basically the pre-speed engine was deemed not to be strong enough for the GT3 racer.....that's before they changed direction and went V8. it was a close run battle right up tot he final choice but the V8 got the Job.

But on a purely realistic basis, Yes the pre speed engine will produce 600+ hp and can be made to do so relatively easily.......just a Map will do that.

However its a fact the engines are not identical and the speed has greater potential for serious tuning.....should one be mad enough to do so

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modified exhausts.