Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Any GT3R Owners here? Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:57 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Well put Steven.

Having had 4 Jaguar XJR's immediately prior to buying the Bentley, I can only say that the Jag's were all superb cars. Only one had a fault and that was only a coolant temp' sender which I fixed myself.
I chose Jaguar after Aston Martin kept loaning me one when my DB7 was in for repairs. Believe me, Aston seemed to have the DB more than I did. After 8 months I got rid of it and was totally dismayed.

As for the Bentley, as you probably have read on here, in two years I've spent £14,500 UK.
Some of that money has gone on things that should not have failed so soon, if at all.
Fortunately for me, I now think that my car is well sorted and I hope it runs without fault for a very long time. I'm very lucky in that I reckon I have one of the best Indies in the world.

Shame on Bentley for not taking this up with you or helping with some of the cost re the vac' hose problem.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:35 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
Steven is, obviously, right.
bentley, I mean VAG, designed a fantastic back back in 2003 it was, most probably the most advanced car of its time, back then. Ferdinand PIECH had the right vision of what a Bentley should be, he had the ressources and all the technology, from the PHAETON, he needed. he did well, very well.

when it appears that the car had a few design flaws, normal enough for such a sophisticated car back in 2003, they, more or less, fixed them along the years.

what these brilliant germans engineers forgot along the way is the brand ADN and the british culture. RR and Bentley where much more than luxury automobile brands for the Brits they were symbols of the British way of life, not so for the germans.
German engineers are very good at what they do but being told, since decades, that the german products are the best in the world they tend to become arrogant and they have difficulties to publicly admit that they made a few mistakes designing what was, and still is, one of the best car in the world.
Bentley behaviour toward the customers is much more a cultural flaw than the desire to save some money, IMHO.

regarding Les comments about Jaguar, I couldn't agree more, I have owned 4 jags, 2 XJS, one Daimler long time ago and later an XJR , the very same Les was owning,... and I remember them as some of the best car I ever drove.
as far as Jaguar today...well, I don't know, I'm not a big fan of their design and I have no idea about their customer service.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Well I'd like to comment. Disclaimer is it may all be total crap but if your online you like reading that stuff.

First nice stable of cars and Bentley is a nice machine but not a sports car. I know because I tried to make mine one and was politely reminded that a I was taking the car where it was not designed to go. I did the pipes and ECU tune stuff and the new exhaust system is aggressive but I like it the way it is.

No I do not own a GT3R nor have i even seen one in person but I have driven all the other variants of the Contis. I agree with Steven that the McLaren is a nice dual duty car but more in tne theme of the sports car. The Bentley tries to stay in the middle no mans land and be both which is problematic. To cross over into the more luxury oriented but still sporty-ish I'd look at the RR Wraith.
Calm down mate I did call you a worn out old geezer just discussing the full spectrum of cars in this genre.

It boils down to this, IF you want a Bentley and want the most sporty version the GT3R is it but you will be paying the premium dollars for that little something extra. Aston has done the same thing with the DBS. %30 more money for %10 actual gains over the DB9. Now if the badging is worth that for you all I have to say is, it's your money brother and you use it exactly as you see fit regardless of the blokes telling you other wise.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:39 PM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Vic55
Hey guys- I'm considering dumping my FF and the GT3R is on the short list of cars. This would be my first Bentley and obviously Ill be working a good deal because I don't see the car worth 340k but I'd first like to see if anyone has one here or has more info on the car. I'm having a rather tough time searching online for info on the car via the forums and modding.

Some things I'm interested in but not limited to:

1. The Akrapovic Exhaust, does it have a resonated system or is it cat back to the cans?

2. I assume, since the suspension is air controlled, that I can lower it with links. Can I have it lowered via a computer like the Star System with Benz air equipped cars?

3. Anyone tune this car? I had the similar engine with my RS7 and damn that thing rocked with a tune.

4. For members here with non anecdotal info... any issues with this car?

5. Anyway to keep the suspension memory in Sport 2 (originally called it Plus in error) (non a deal breaker but it was bugging when I drove the Speed and its the same with this car)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me here.
Vic - First let me say that I don't own a GT3-R yet (Unfortunately I need to drive a 4-seater for another year and a half), but anecdotally I can guess the following:

1. Not sure about resonators, but the sound is AWESOME. It reminds me of an american muscle car, which is super weird because its a turbocharged engine.

2. The suspension is already lower than even GT Speed (I think by .5" or something). Anything lower will probably compromise suspension travel so the ride will be pretty crappy. You'll be riding on bump stops.

3. Like others have noted, the only common thing with RS7 is probably the block. Having said that, I am sure that the GT3-R engine is 95% the same as GT V8 S engine and I am pretty sure I already saw tunes advertised for those. Minor problem - all of those tuners promise the world but not a single one of them has a dyno sheet to back up their claims.

4. This car is pretty much a GT V8 S with suspension tweaks and lower gearing. The rest is eye candy / rice.

5. Again, seeing as this car is essentially a V8 S, which itself is a regular CGT, if someone is offering a mod to do this on a regular CGT, there is a 99% chance it will work on a GT3-R

Have you actually seen the car in person? I liked it, but its not for everyone. Most of them come with a white paint job with that green stripe (which is removable), and some others are in black. The glossy carbon fiber is VERY reflective and scratches easily.

Also, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why are you looking to get rid of the FF? I almost got one a year ago, but could not refuse a deal that Bentley offered.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek1
Vic - First let me say that I don't own a GT3-R yet (Unfortunately I need to drive a 4-seater for another year and a half), but anecdotally I can guess the following:

1. Not sure about resonators, but the sound is AWESOME. It reminds me of an american muscle car, which is super weird because its a turbocharged engine.

2. The suspension is already lower than even GT Speed (I think by .5" or something). Anything lower will probably compromise suspension travel so the ride will be pretty crappy. You'll be riding on bump stops.

3. Like others have noted, the only common thing with RS7 is probably the block. Having said that, I am sure that the GT3-R engine is 95% the same as GT V8 S engine and I am pretty sure I already saw tunes advertised for those. Minor problem - all of those tuners promise the world but not a single one of them has a dyno sheet to back up their claims.

4. This car is pretty much a GT V8 S with suspension tweaks and lower gearing. The rest is eye candy / rice.

5. Again, seeing as this car is essentially a V8 S, which itself is a regular CGT, if someone is offering a mod to do this on a regular CGT, there is a 99% chance it will work on a GT3-R

Have you actually seen the car in person? I liked it, but its not for everyone. Most of them come with a white paint job with that green stripe (which is removable), and some others are in black. The glossy carbon fiber is VERY reflective and scratches easily.

Also, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why are you looking to get rid of the FF? I almost got one a year ago, but could not refuse a deal that Bentley offered.
ek1 thanks for the response. I actually borrowed the GT3R for a little over a week and really got to enjoy it in a multitude of driving situations. I posted this over at another forum and these are my thoughts with about 200 miles of experience.

Its a big car, 5k lbs worth of carbon fiber and metal. But it feels closer to how the RS7 of mine drove. The suspension is tighter in the firmest setting than the normal CGT and the CCB's grab nicely. I love the steering- hydraulic and on point, especially when factoring in the AWD system. The launches are brutal and the ZF8 in sport mode carries the rpms all the way to the redline. I guess the car pulls 3.3 0-60 romps and 120 traps in the quarter (as tested). C&D pulled a 122 but that's adjusted for conditions Ill bet. Its a very quick car with the gear ratio adjustments vs the CGT. It shifts twice as I get to 60 but the top speed is reduced to I think 174 mph (no biggie). So handling wise it is better than what it is for the weight it carries and it accelerates in relation. It has the 4.0 Audi TFSI engine block with heavy tweaks I guess and a tune would do this car some good. Did I mention the exhaust? Oh its Akrapovic OEM with all those wonderful barks and pops during over run plus an intense growl during higher rpm romps. I love it.

From a looks perspective, I like it. I had has the CGT bulging fenders with 21 inch black gloss wheels, CCB's and green and black striping. Its loaded with carbon fiber: rear wing, rear diffuser, side skirts, front spoiler lip, side mirrors, inside doors, dash, rear decklid (no seats), and other locations. This car is a carbon palace. I also felt the interior was comfortable and luxurious, very Bentley like. Its got a beautiful setup with the British green and black with quilted alcantara and soft leather. The view is very nice and I love that it doesn't have B pillars to create that full air experience. The electronics were a bit of a struggle as the Infotainment takes literally 20 seconds to start up. I also have to always push two buttons to get it to the Sportiest suspension mode. The Nav has a good view but its just not up to date with my AMG GTS. Its good enough inside for me though and extremely comfortable.

Overall I like the car a lot- its very fast from a dig and will do just fine into triple digits. If I got it, the price would have to right based on the depreciation curve (its still my money right?) and I would want a tune. I think it would be very close to a 3 second zero to 60 with that mod. Other than that its pretty much plug and play (lowering can be done for cheap via computer or links). It serves what I'm looking for currently; a GT cruiser with luxury. We shall see.
I have had the FF for exactly a year and its a great car too but I just am getting bored of it. Its a 2012 and while the electronics of the GT3R are not earth shattering, the FF is farther behind and I just want a change overall. I generally don't keep cars much more than 12 months so its time and GT3R is a consideration along with a few other units. I'm working a great deal right now on the Bentley and if I get my ask Ill get the car.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Vic55 it looks like you are headed to ownership of this car. You are in way to deep to change your mind.

If you are only keeping the car for 12 months or so there is no long term risk of falling out if love. I expect most of the cars in this stratospheric bracket of pricing to depreciate heavily but that is up to you to determine how much of that you can stand.

Wow got to borrow a car for a week?????? Nice to get that kind of seat time experience for a car you are considering.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:49 PM
Townshend is on a distinguished road