Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Time for Brake Job.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
yeah i am close to that stage as well. New brakes and rotors. Fluid flush and lines replaced. 5 grand yeah thats about right. Funny how 5 grand for a break job can be the standard price for a car.

Are you sure we can't find this stuff at advanced auto or pep boys, lol

Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like about $2500 in parts (retail online) and another $2500 for the Bentley stealership for a two hour job. Yup, sounds about right. (rolls eyes)

Am sooo glad there are a few good indie repair places near me.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:02 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Remember guys, the rear discs are stamped Audi. Mine were and they are genuine Bentley items. I have to presume that the rear pads will be too.
I don't know which Audi they are from though.

Les.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
A8 I think.

Just hope Bentley is not charging more for the same rotors in a Bentley box versus a lower price when in an Audi box. Toyota, or was it Nissan, lost a major lawsuit over doing that type of illegal parts pricing scheme.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
Old 04-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Thanks and WOW, looks like we found the brake pad source!

Old 04-22-2016, 12:56 PM
REDNOSEGT will become famous soon enough
nobody makes an aftermarket front pad for USA spec gt's
the uk spec gts use a slightly smaller front pad

I have aftermarket from pads [low dust pads] custom made, i had to send in my worn pads and wait couple months they stamp new pads with your old backing plate.

i havent used them yet.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:37 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
i would buy original BMW product for better braking performance.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Cart/?add1...tent=link2cart

Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I sent my independent mechanic some of the information on this thread and low and behold he calls me back and said he bought some equipment and will be testing out the new stuff on a used car they have in stock. If all goes well he can do the whole job just a few miles down the road for less money than the dealer.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Sweeeet! Keep us posted

Old 05-03-2016, 07:45 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Porterfield R4S

I just responded to another 6speed post regarding "dusty" Bentley brake pads.
Take a look at porterfield-brakes dot com for replacement pads for your Continentals.
It could be a win-win situation-less dust, comparable performance and less costly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R4S Information.pdf (34.8 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by DonL; 05-03-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I'm thinking of trading cars, and many of my friends tell me to look at a Bentley so I thought I'd start here to see what kind of issues are common, what kind of support there is, etc. So far, it looks like there are plenty of knowledgeable owners and enough aftermarket support that it shouldn't be a horrible ownership experience (i.e. must take it to the dealer) especially since I don't have a dealer near me. So thanks for that, guys. I'll continue to browse and lurk before asking a newbie question like "which one should I buy?"

I'll will add to this thread a bit: years ago I had a Corvette setup for the track with Brembo Brakes (among other things). Back in '98 or so, they (Brembo) wanted $350/each for the front rotors, which I found to be excessive. I found a company in Michigan (USA) that custom-made the vented rotors to my specifications. Actually, because I was afraid I'd measure wrong, I just sent them the old rotor and hat so that they could measure it, and they sent me back two new rotors, at the time around $110 each. So that kind of thing is always an option (if they're still in business) and I presume that you could get custom pads made in the same fashion through any number of small pad manufacturers.

Best deal of course would be to get several owners together and make a group purchase to get a better price.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Great post, thx!

Did that Girodisc for the tracked Ferrari. As they are ex-Brembo and Porsche guys, am sure they could easily fab up far lighter weight, floating rotors for the Bentley.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I'm thinking of trading cars, and many of my friends tell me to look at a Bentley so I thought I'd start here to see what kind of issues are common, what kind of support there is, etc. So far, it looks like there are plenty of knowledgeable owners and enough aftermarket support that it shouldn't be a horrible ownership experience (i.e. must take it to the dealer) especially since I don't have a dealer near me. So thanks for that, guys. I'll continue to browse and lurk before asking a newbie question like "which one should I buy?"

I'll will add to this thread a bit: years ago I had a Corvette setup for the track with Brembo Brakes (among other things). Back in '98 or so, they (Brembo) wanted $350/each for the front rotors, which I found to be excessive. I found a company in Michigan (USA) that custom-made the vented rotors to my specifications. Actually, because I was afraid I'd measure wrong, I just sent them the old rotor and hat so that they could measure it, and they sent me back two new rotors, at the time around $110 each. So that kind of thing is always an option (if they're still in business) and I presume that you could get custom pads made in the same fashion through any number of small pad manufacturers.

Best deal of course would be to get several owners together and make a group purchase to get a better price.
I don't think Bentley is one of the most expensive, after the purchase, as some of the other exotics.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Havent been on the forum for a while but hope everyone is doing well.

Car is due for replacement front discs/pads and i was wondering has anyone used any non OE brake pads? I will go with original brake discs but hoping to find pads that dust less and accept OE wear sensor cable.

Looking at suggested pads I would be interested to try the RS4 pads. Has anyone tried these pads yet?

Thanks
J

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for Brake Job.