Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Time for Brake Job.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Time for Brake Job.

Well it is 45'000 miles and I need new rotors and pads all way around but there is a bit of a problem as far as i am concerned. My local shop says they can do the front but not the back as it requires a special tool to handle the electric parking brake mechanism and only the dealer has the tool.

The closest dealer is in Nashville and it is a five hour drive so I would likely need to spend the night and day over there all costing time and money. I guess I could let them do the whole job but I was trying to be economical with the money. All in all I am hearing over 3K for the rear and 2k for the front. Wow over $5'000.00 for a brake job????? Sound a little high to me, what have you guys experienced?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
i have no input concerning the brakes but i use enterprise rent a car when i take GT to tech 1 1/2 hours away. i rent 1 way home so return car in 1 day. when my car is ready i rent 1 way back to tech. i don't rush tech and convenient. dr d, i assume you have an extra car.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by larryr
i have no input concerning the brakes but i use enterprise rent a car when i take GT to tech 1 1/2 hours away. i rent 1 way home so return car in 1 day. when my car is ready i rent 1 way back to tech. i don't rush tech and convenient. dr d, i assume you have an extra car.
Yes i do have other vehicles and there has been talk about taking it over on a rollback carrier. I think Bentley of Nashville has a pick-up and return policy in a 250 mile radius. I will need to check into that and that may be the reason the dealer charges so much because we all know there is no free stuff in the business world.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone with VAG can do the rears too. Someone here, I think the DIY thread, has the code (common stuff). Try your local VW dealer or indy that does VW.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:52 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Anyone with VAG can do the rears too. Someone here, I think the DIY thread, has the code (common stuff). Try your local VW dealer or indy that does VW.
So that sounds good but what is this "special tool" that only the dealer have???? Thanks for the link I am printing it now to take to the independent shop.

Maybe I am the "special tool". Special as in retarded and tool and is helpless male phallus.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM
The "Special Tool" is VAG on a computer. Sheeeeeeeet, you can buy a copy of VAG and do the rears yourself if you're so inclined. Brakes / rotors are VERY easy, the only 'trick' is electronically moving apart the rear's emergency brake pads (via VAG).

Just have VW or the indy do it, as it is the same as the W12 Phaeton. While they're in there, perhaps have them flush/refresh the brake fluid if you're not sure when the last time it was R/R'ed.

PS: If you want to be really retentive, find some good aftermarket steel-braided brake lines and change those too as your 2007 is nearly 10 years old. The Bentley stock ones are (surprisingly) expensive and (surprisingly) not steel braided.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-12-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
PS: $250 for rear rotors http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bentley-Cont...dW8Bhx&vxp=mtr

$570 for fronts http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENTLEY-04-1...NUIyv0&vxp=mtr

The above is a Bentley dealer, so see what discount he has for brake lines and pads too

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-12-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Sheeeeeeeet, The Bentley stock ones are (surprisingly) expensive and (surprisingly) not steel braided.
Wake up bro , neither of those is surprising.

I am going to look around a bit more as he says i have another thousand or so miles before I get metal on metal.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Oh, then just wait. Might want to buy the rotors now at those prices, your call there. Any really good brake shop should be able to fabricate up some lines or call around as Goodridge may have what you need for the lines. They make them for the Bentley Brembo upgrade brake kit http://goodridge.com/

BTW: Just last week I spoke to my go-to guys at Girodisc http://www.girodisc.com/ about brake rotors for the B and they don't offer them.... yet I bet with enough $ we could get them to make some really great floating aluminum hat lightweight rotors. Reducing unsprung mass is a good thing. They fabed up some for the heavily-tracked Ferrari years ago and they were awesome!

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-12-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Oh, then just wait. Might want to buy the rotors now at those prices, your call there. Any really good brake shop should be able to fabricate up some lines or call around as Goodridge may have what you need for the lines. They make them for the Bentley Brembo upgrade brake kit http://goodridge.com/

BTW: Just last week I spoke to my go-to guys at Girodisc http://www.girodisc.com/ about brake rotors for the B and they don't offer them.... yet I bet with enough $ we could get them to make some really great floating aluminum hat lightweight rotors. Reducing unsprung mass is a good thing. They fabed up some for the heavily-tracked Ferrari years ago and they were awesome!
If my brake lines are ok I'm leaving them. I may be the cheapest Bentley owner on the forum.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I may be the cheapest Bentley owner on the forum.

And we luv ya just the same

Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
When I changed the pads and rotors on mine I used an 'Autel MOT Pro' hand held analyser.
It worked as it should with the rear brakes. Not cheap, but saved me lots of money over the years.
It's so good in fact that it told me one of my bass speakers in the Conti' was faulty. Sure enough it was.

My pads and rotors were from 'Prindiville' in London.

Les.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:41 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
brake hoses,brackets retaining springs foe complete replacement was $550.00 from bentley northbrook

Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM
ssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura about

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for Brake Job.