Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Watch out for old tires!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:24 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Watch out for old tires!

I had my eye on a 2009 (built in late 2008) GT with only 9000 miles on it. Never could agree with the dealer on price but it sold recently.

The new owner needs to be aware that 8 year old tires are dangerous regardless of the mileage. Tire experts and even my 2008 GT Owners Manual say you should never drive on tires over 6 years old. The web is full of stories of fender well damage and accidents due to old tires giving out. They rot from the inside.

I learned the hard way with a tire failure on my restored 63 Fuel Injected Corvette that is rarely driven. Fortunately for me the tire did not blow it just grew a huge bubble that made it feel like I was driving over a series of speed bumps. You bet I put on the spare and babied it to the nearest tire shop to get 4 new ones.

Thought I'd pass this on as some of you may not drive your Bentley very much and end up with old tires with low mileage.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Usually old tires will get hard and lose grip especially in rain and low temp.

Blow out is less likely and only when it is well dried and hardened.

I wish there is a clear way to tell hardness and grip of the tire.

Originally Posted by MrVette
I had my eye on a 2009 (built in late 2008) GT with only 9000 miles on it. Never could agree with the dealer on price but it sold recently.

The new owner needs to be aware that 8 year old tires are dangerous regardless of the mileage. Tire experts and even my 2008 GT Owners Manual say you should never drive on tires over 6 years old. The web is full of stories of fender well damage and accidents due to old tires giving out. They rot from the inside.

I learned the hard way with a tire failure on my restored 63 Fuel Injected Corvette that is rarely driven. Fortunately for me the tire did not blow it just grew a huge bubble that made it feel like I was driving over a series of speed bumps. You bet I put on the spare and babied it to the nearest tire shop to get 4 new ones.

Thought I'd pass this on as some of you may not drive your Bentley very much and end up with old tires with low mileage.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:31 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
How to tell the age of your tires...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NHTSATireReportJune2013 r 3c.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	454527  
Old 08-04-2016, 10:25 AM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
I've read up on this issue ever since I had one tire fail. They deteriorate from the inside and there is no external indication the fault is developing...unless you detect a bubble on the outside. The layers of the tire tend to delaminate. Its quite common and has lead to numerous accidents.

Bentley owner's manual rightly says not to use tires over 6 years old.