Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Starting to search for an early GT today, advice needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 05:44 AM
Mauser is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting to search for an early GT today, advice needed.

As header, after driving an 06 GT last week which blew me away I've decided to buy one so have started a search for an early GT 04, 05 or 6 for the right money, would appreciate just a few pointers of things to look out for. When I find what I think is the right car I'll probably pay for a Bentley guy to give a once over but a few bits of advice from you guys up front will be a great help and could save me wasting money. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:35 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Get a deep-level computer scan (i.e. VAS5054A). It will give you a very detailed report on any problems. Check service records (who did what and when). You don't want to get caught on the infamous vacuum leak/engine out problem. Check the headliner for sagging. Check the front end link bushings (all of them). Check the wheel bearings. Obviously, the points I highlighted are over and above what you might look for normally. I've had an 05 for over five years now and really only experienced minor failures (sensors and a pre-cat on bank 2). Like all modern cars, minor electrical issues can make you crazy in a hurry. Make friends with a qualified Bentley Tech who has the right diagnostic equipment.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:11 AM
ContinentalGT05 is on a distinguished road
I also was in market for an 04 05 . I bought an 05 in 2010 with 12k miles. At the time I knew an ex bentley dealer tech who was independent. He told me to not buy before November 04 As the software changed. I did buy a November 04, technically an 05 model. Look on door post it will tell you month and year when it left factory. Thats the key date

Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 AM
can you give me more detail on the 'Infamous vacuum leak/engine out' problem please ?

Old 08-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mauser
can you give me more detail on the 'Infamous vacuum leak/engine out' problem please ?
Plastic lines on the top of transmission crack on 04, 05, and some 06's, engine and trans assembly must be dropped to make repair, there are also plastic line along the firewall that fail sometimes.

Here is a picture of my 05 lines, Jason in the video made me a new set.

Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Wow Unbelievable ! So, I'm assuming there was never a recall for this therefor how the heck will I know if it's been done or not if I find a car that doesn't have all the Garage receipts ? Or maybe it's so common, a bit like the Maserati cam variators that everyone looking to buy an early Bentley GT wants proof the job's been done ? Any idea what this job would cost at a Bentley dealership ?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:27 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Labour costs for an engine/transmission R&R are around 45 hours. Parts for this problem are usually insignificant (i.e. couple of hundred dollars). While the vacuum leak is a known problem, not all cars experience it. I have 55,000 miles on my 05 and, in spite of doing exhaustive testing, have not experienced the issue. I know five Bentley Conti GT owners of similar vintage in my area and only one has encountered the problem. It showed up in a smoke test. It is relatively easy to diagnose (see several posts on this forum). Unless there is supporting paperwork, I know of no way to determine whether or not the procedure has been performed. There are other vacuum leaks that can occur, but do not need the engine/transmission R&R to fix.

Last edited by PMS; 08-13-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: expansion
Old 08-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMS
While the vacuum leak is a known problem, not all cars experience it. I have 55,000 miles on my 05 and, in spite of doing exhaustive testing, have not experienced the issue. I know five Bentley Conti GT owners of similar vintage in my area and only one has encountered the problem..
Hello Peter,
That's good to hear, but I am wondering if yours was fixed prior to your purchase, of the three I have personally seen, all three had the issue, 1) my 05 one owner from Long Island with 10,388 miles with cracked lines as shown in photo posted in prior post, 2) a one owner wrecked 04 engine and trans package with verified 28,000 miles (45,000 KM) from Canada with cracked lines, 3) a one owner 05 with 13,000 miles at a salvage yard with, you guessed it, cracked lines, and a fourth that I did not see myself but was told buy the person whom sold me the black 06 parts vehicle seen in my re-build thread, that he nor his mechanic knew of this issue only to install the engine and trans into another vehicle only to remove it again for the repair, he was very @$@#% !!!

So that's 4 out of 4 for me....

And I am sure Jason (BentleyTech NY) has seen many.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM
PMS
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Peter,
That's good to hear, but I am wondering if yours was fixed prior to your purchase, of the three I have personally seen, all three had the issue, 1) my 05 one owner from Long Island with 10,388 miles with cracked lines as shown in photo posted in prior post, 2) a one owner wrecked 04 engine and trans package with verified 28,000 miles (45,000 KM) from Canada with cracked lines, 3) a one owner 05 with 13,000 miles at a salvage yard with, you guessed it, cracked lines, and a fourth that I did not see myself but was told buy the person whom sold me the black 06 parts vehicle seen in my re-build thread, that he nor his mechanic knew of this issue only to install the engine and trans into another vehicle only to remove it again for the repair, he was very @$@#% !!!

So that's 4 out of 4 for me....

And I am sure Jason (BentleyTech NY) has seen many.
Possibly you are correct Johnny. My car may have had the repair prior to purchase. My car is from Florida originally and the service records only include OEM Bentley service (not indy services) so, I have no proof of repair. I have my fingers and toes crossed.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:58 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Mauser.

I had mine done by the main dealer in Knutsford, Cheshire a couple of years ago.
It cost me around £3,600. The vacuum pipe in question was just a £200 part.

I have since found an Indy in Crewe, he is one of the guys that helped develop the GT whilst he was at Bentley. He was also their flying doctor when the GT was first introduced. Doesn't get better than that, he really knows his stuff and is a lot cheaper.
Other things that I have had to do are brake discs and pads, they cost me £1000 and I did them myself.
Drivers window mechanism replaced last year after it broke at the M6 toll booth. Had to drive over 500 miles to France with the window down. Fixed that myself too.
Boot release button replaced.
Gearbox Mechatronic unit replaced.
One cam sensor replaced. The main dealer told me that the engine had to be removed to replace it but my Indy did it without taking the engine out in about half an hour and saved me a fortune in the process. Needless to say, I no longer trust the main dealer.

At least I now have a car that works well.

Les.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:01 AM
I was a bit put off after reading about the vacuum pipe issues on this forum and others and was beginning to think it's too much of a gamble but then I realised just how many of these early GT's are out there with 80K plus on the clock and trouble free and after reading the post above, the search is still on. Guess I could always travel to Crewe if needed It would take a little of the joy of ownership away constantly wondering if a leak will develop but weighing it all up I guess it's worth the worry as I can't afford a new one.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
Iv had my 06 GT exactly 1 year today

Im still in love with the car and never fails to put a smile on my face. Its just ticked over to 79k now and in 12 months of ownership iv had 1 MAF sensor. New MAF circuit wiring, Left/Rear parking brake motor and parking brake control unit as the fault code wouldnt clear afterwards. 1 exhaust temp sensor, 1 headlamp washer, 1 charge cooler (intercooler), power boot closure switch. had an issue with water ingress in the boot and the guys on here was able to talk me through a fix its a rubber pipe behind the panel inside the boot that comes loose.

I also use the same indy as Les after his recommendation after the same dealer (Knutsford) trying to rip me off for parts that was not required.

Points I would check is the eyelevel brake light has been replaced at some point in its life(I understand the original lets in water and fails?) and also if the vacuum hose has been done or not. if not be prepared for engine out job at some point in its life. (so far mine has been ok)

PS forgot to add to my list an infinite number of tanks of fuel, these cars really can drink especially during some spirited driving

Last edited by MikeH; 08-14-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
I have a 2008 with 30,000 miles. I'm the 4th owner. I've been able to round up all service records but the very first few from the selling dealership. They show that my car had the engine out and vacuum hose fixed under warranty. So this issue may not be confined to just the early cars.

You should be able to find the names of the dealerships that worked on the car in the little maintenance service book in the glove box.

Current issues are:
- Just replaced plugs and a coil to fix a misfire. My labor, $164 in parts.
- Steering wheel heater does not work.
- Horn does not work.
- The recirculation door in the HVAC system does not work. Bad actuator. Expensive fix due ($1200) to need to disassemble the central dash area.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems to me from the research I've done over the last two weeks that these cars certainly have many issues, as do a lot of high spec cars, and it's a gamble, but after driving one I feel it's worth taking the chance especially if I can find a good independent in the south of England. Does anybody reading this know of one ?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
@Mauser,

I'm the guy with a vacuum problem that PMS mentioned. It is a 2004 with 77000km. I bought it 3 years ago at 49000km.

Like others said, the actual vacuum line is cheap but the cost of labour is the killer. The entire engine has to be taken out.

Here are my major repairs:

1. Vacuum Leak ($$$$$)
2. Air suspension ($$$$)
3. Brakes ($$$$)
4. Control arms ($$$)
5. Misc fixes (hoses, tensioners, turbo solenoids, exhaust gas temp sensors, belts, air suspension level sensors, etc because I lost count) ( $$$$ )

Pending fixes:
1. Saggy roof liner ($$)
2. Intermittent third brake light ($$$)

Two tips:

a. Get the Mulliner edition if you can. It has nice stitching and other nice upgrades. This is something hard to replicate with aftermarket parts. I wish mine has this option.
b. Get a car that has higher mileage in good working condition. If the car has higher mileage and runs well, chances are, all the major problems have been corrected.

When I go see my car, I made the decision to buy it once the dealer started the engine. You are in good hands living in UK. There are lots of local Bentley resources and part suppliers (flyingspares & Scuderia Parts). My car is 12 years old but it looks brand new and commands more presence than 99.99% of the cars on the street.

Last edited by lilo1980; 08-15-2016 at 01:25 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting to search for an early GT today, advice needed.