Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Android and high resolution touch screen successfully fitted to 2004 headunit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Android and high resolution touch screen successfully fitted to 2004 headunit

Hi guys,

I just successfully fitted a 1280x800 IPS touch screen to my head unit and connected to Android. The screen can be switched to display Android or original factory system.

All original factory settings and controls are retained. The beauty of this system is that it is future proof. If your android is getting outdated, you can simply plug in a new unit. There might be some additional programming when you do the upgrade but it would be a minor task.

Inspiration and Credits go to Phaeton forum, Jaguar forum, and Russian firmware developer Andrey at openrtd2662.

This project is quite complex and definitely not a plug and play mod. It involved cutting, custom firmware, custom android drivers, soldering, etc. I broke two LCDs and blew three power supply in the process.

I can provide more details if anyone is interested.

Last edited by lilo1980; 09-14-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:25 PM
shabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Lilo,

You are a genius!!! Total kudos for doing this...I would really like to upgrade my 2007 infotainment, I made enquiries about a pioneer install as I wanted touch screen and a better sat nav...was quoted a ridiculous sum and more or less resigned myself to the clunky antiquated Bentley system.

Tell us more!!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Wow wow wow!!! i'd LOVE that yet hate to think the costs and labor involved. That is what Bentley should have in their new models. i remember press day with the then new 2008 and LOL'ed that it didn't have touchscreen. Especially for the price of the car and they called it the ultimate of luxury and technology (or something like that).

QUESTION: Do the new Bentley models have Android and Apple interface like pretty much all other major higher-end cars?

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-14-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:30 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
The majority of the cost in the project was buying tools (power supply, heat shrinks , solder iron etc) because there was some trial and errors involved to make this work. I basically outfitted myself with bunch of electronic tools. The trial and error process is not necessary anymore if you use the exact same parts and component as I do.

I think you could save a lot of time and cost by getting someone (like an electronic repair shop) to do the hook ups.

Excluding tools, here is a rough cost list( I will do a detailed list later):

1. LCD screen and control board: $80
2. Capacitive Touch screen: $60
3. Cables and misc: $100
4. Android box: $150
5. External Garmin Glo GPS receiver: $100
6. Microphone (allow google voice command): $15

You want to buy two LCD and two touch screen just as a backup in case you damage them during installation. They're extremely fragile.

I'd say the parts are about $600 to $1000 depending how careful you're with the components.

I will write a comprehensive plan here once I get everything running. Again, Labour is not too bad if there is a proven plan to follow and use the exact same components.

You can also opt for a mini PC instead of Android as well. The input of LCD is standard HDMI and touch screen works with Windows 10.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:42 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
i remember years ago developing / working with the AutoPC in 1998, which was Windows CE based. During that time also saw installs using PC-based systems. Of course back then there was no problem due to needing to 'overlap' the car's control system as we face today in many vehicles.

i highly applaud your efforts as getting it all to work must have had moments of.... and now you succeeded

Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Now that's BEAUTIFUL Lilo !!!!

I will be waiting for the instructions !!

Old 09-14-2016, 07:03 PM
dtbh will become famous soon enough
Bravo! I have been looking for one for some time but all roads led back to square one.

Will be waiting for your instructions too. Thanks lilo1980!!!

Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM
carpaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome work! Would be great if you could upload a video on YouTube of it installed in the car running through some of the settings and functions, so we can see it in action.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 PM
JyB
JyB is an unknown quantity at this point
One word: awesome!

I can't wait to read your detailed plan!

Cheers

JY

Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Joe Boccia is on a distinguished road
Omg, I'd give you 1000$ and buy your plane ticket to come do this to my spur.

But I'll be selling it soon for a GT.
Maybe after i purchase a gt?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:23 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
best project for years

Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Lilo,
Here are the two access areas to the trunk, facing the vehicle from the rear, the righthand smaller opening has the battery cables, the much larger opening on the left has the body wiring harness and no battery cables.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160927_172756.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	460059  
Old 09-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Lilo,
Here are the two access areas to the trunk, facing the vehicle from the rear, the righthand smaller opening has the battery cables, the much larger opening on the left has the body wiring harness and no battery cables.
Thanks Johnny. I got the right rear seat and both front and rear console veneer removed and can see the large hole going to the trunk. Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
WoW genius!, Been trying to alter the existing code. this is much better.

Now taking it a step further, making your smartphone instead as the brain and using someting like Mirrorlink, Mimics, or Androidauto....

Or like this:

http://www.customgadz.com/wp-content...sx2-manual.pdf

Last edited by Zaos; 10-02-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by carpaul
Awesome work! Would be great if you could upload a video on YouTube of it installed in the car running through some of the settings and functions, so we can see it in action.
Hi Carpaul,

The unit is not yet installed in the car but I'll post a video once it is back in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Android and high resolution touch screen successfully fitted to 2004 headunit