Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Arnage Red Label vs Arnage R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 PM
FXRcR1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arnage Red Label vs Arnage R

Does anyone have the definitive specs on these two cars? I mean the first series of R's, not the revised ones after 2006.

I am finding conflicting information online with respect to HP & TQ.

I know the R's changed to a Twin Turbo setup, but I am also seeing some specs that suggest there was no associated power increase.

Is it fair to say that the Red Label's may be more reliable because both models had head gasket issues but the R's also had cam shaft issues?

I'm trying to figure out if there's really any notable difference between the cars in terms of performance and/or reliability. The pricing would suggest that there is (meaning the R's are better cars), but I can't find much commentary on it.

Thanks All

Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what you mean here. The first Arnage was introduced in 1998 and was using a BMW engine. It used a green badge, but wasn't called Arnage green label until later. in 2000 the original 6.75 Bentley engine was used again with a single turbo charger and the car came with a red label. Hence the name red label Arnage. Then in 2001, Bentley released the RL. The engine received twin turbo chargers. in 2002 Bentley released the series two R and T models. The T (also called black label) model being the more sporty ride with twin intercoolers.

Then of course in 2007 the engine had a massive upgrade and instead of solid lifters, it got roller lifters. From other discussions, that I have read is that the older 6.75 engines suffered from cam failures, because the were more suited for leaded gas.

Last edited by Zaos; 01-30-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Zaos.

I thought the R & RL were released simultaneously with the only difference being wheelbase, I didn't realize the RL came first.

I am asking for the HP/TQ and reliability differences between the Red Labels (2000-2001) and R's (2002-2006).

I know the R's have the twin turbo setup, but I don't know if there is any performance difference. Also, since the R motors were revised hastily, are they less reliable than the older tech Red Labels.

Hopefully that is clear.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
WelshBentleyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Have a look at this site

http://rrsilverspirit.com/models/indexSeraph.htm

Lots of info.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-24-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Appreciate the link but it's missing all the Arnage info unfortunately.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-24-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
If you put your cursor on the appropriate model in the model list and click , it will bring up full details.
Have a play with it

Paul

Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 AM
My mistake, I had missed the Arnage's on the page you linked and then when I clicked the models link they weren't there.

Looks like there was no power increase between the original Red Label motors and the subsequent Twin Turbo R Labels. I find that kind of odd, but that seems to be the data we have to go on.

Do you know if the Red Label's are any more reliable than the early R's because they don't have the cam shaft issue in addition to the head gasket issue?

Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 PM
The red label had 400bhp
The "R" also had 400bhp but totally reworked engine management and turbos.
The "T" had the same as the "R" but 450 bhp.

As I understand it there is a head gasket problem pre 2002. Between then and the 2007 update there is a tappet problem!
The critical area with all of them is regular servicing and oil changes.

Despite all this, driving them is a tremendous experience. I have never had that level of performance and luxury combined.

Paul

Old 02-25-2017, 04:23 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...what price range are the subject cars...from reading Wikipedia that was an interesting era featuring the battle between BMW and VW...they seem to be in a class apart...also noted that only seven (7) Greens were produced...the Bentley dealer here in San Francisco has a large inventory of older Bentleys, if you advise me specific model you are interested in, I would check out for you...JimB

Old 02-25-2017, 04:29 AM
Most of the "Greens" were the Birkin model of which 44 were produced
Paul

Old 02-25-2017, 05:03 AM
thank you Paul...I was just quoting Wiki, no authority.cited ..they say 7 Greens produced all Left Hand Drives for U.S. market and that in 2000 a final series constructed with the 4.4 BMW engine designated Arnage Birken with 52 produced and distinguished by 3 dial instrument panel not the 5 dial....I believe Wiki depends on people with specific authority on subject to contribute...now my curiosity is peaked...exactly how many authentic Bentleys were designated Green....anyone....JimB

Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Yes you are right. 7 Green Label and 52 Birkin. All had the green badge and the 4.4 BMW Engine. The red label had the 6.75 motor and the Seraph which had basically the same body had a 5379 cc V12 BMW engine.

Muddled corporate thinking!

Paul

Old 02-25-2017, 10:10 AM
...prior to 1980 there was doubt as to survival of Bentley...it was a clone of the Rolls...from 1977 to 1980 over 10,500 R.R. were built, against only 568 Bentley T2's. In it's final year of production Bentley represented 5% of Crewe output...There was a ray of hope, when the relatively new Rolls Silver Spirit came out in 1980 there along side was it's Bentley clone...it should have been named U-type following preceding R,S&T types...instead giving hope...The clone was named after the longest straight on any race track in the world, the one in which Tim Birkin put away Caracciola's Mercedes, 50 years before...the Bentley Mulsanne would change the game...all above from Andrew Frankel's Bentley-The Story JimB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.