Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Any non-air shock solutions out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM
davidaragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Any non-air shock solutions out there?

I'm not a fan of air shocks because of the obvious reasons. I'd prefer a spring and shock setup.

Does anyone know of any? I think for me it'd be better just to know that I wouldn't ever have any air leaks or failing suspension parts.

Thanks,
David

Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 PM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
i saw strut master make a coil spring kit for audi a8 d3
i wonder if it fit bentley but will be bunch of error in the dash

Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM
jc333 will become famous soon enoughjc333 will become famous soon enough
My front right shock just blew today and soon after i got the warning car is too low, stop car.

I would like to remain with air shocks so the question remains which company to use for recon front shocks?

Comparing Arnotts or Rebuildmasters shocks which are more durable or are they better options out there?

Many thanks!
J

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9058.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	480477  
Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello J
Just remember that Arnotts "NEW" design does NOT retain the electronic dampening in their new struts, they are a one setting valve just like a standard shock absorber, although I have not used Aerosus, I did call them to verify that they did indeed retain the OEM design, and the answer was "Yes, just as factory", "Each air suspension strut comes complete with air spring, shock absorber and electromagnetic control valve", they also give a good discount when buying a pair, and fast free delivery.

https://aerosus.com/bentley/filter/f...year/2006.html

https://aerosus.com/bentley/continen...ion-strut.html

Originally Posted by jc333
My front right shock just blew today and soon after i got the warning car is too low, stop car.

I would like to remain with air shocks so the question remains which company to use for recon front shocks?

Comparing Arnotts or Rebuildmasters shocks which are more durable or are they better options out there?

Many thanks!
J

Old 07-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello David,
I am not sure if you understand that these are not just "air shocks" like back in the day on a 1977 caddy that just lifted the rear of the vehicle, these are electromagnetically controlled struts that work on the skyhook theory, on the outside of the strut are mounted the air bags to lift and lower the vehicle, so just as when you are raising or lowering the vehicle by way of suspension control in the vehicle you are also changing the mapping for said electronically controlled dampening valves in a four struts, so if you went to coil overs and standard strut/shocks as NGUY spoke of, I believe you would be greatly disappointed in quality of ride and handling, yes someone did do a D3 A8 Audi and said he liked it, but IIRC he put lowering coils on it and slammed the vehicle, so that ride quality assumption or statement goes out the window in my book.....

Originally Posted by davidaragon
I'm not a fan of air shocks because of the obvious reasons. I'd prefer a spring and shock setup.

Does anyone know of any? I think for me it'd be better just to know that I wouldn't ever have any air leaks or failing suspension parts.

Thanks,
David

Old 07-22-2017, 11:50 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
i m thinking for the price of conversion i rather buy the air spring only which over 100 buck in ebay then snap it in
it ll last few year

Old 07-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
i m thinking for the price of conversion i rather buy the air spring only which over 100 buck in ebay then snap it in
it ll last few year
+1..

Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Appreciate your input as always Johnny.

I've not heard of Aerosus but a quick search shows some negative reviews from end users.

Given that recon only replace the air components and use old strut with an unknown age I've decided to go with new OE.

Do you know if there were changes to OE shock as flyingspares show different modification code, B vs D and M. What do the shocks from your parts bin show?

scuderiacarparts
3W8616039B (LHS)
3W8616040B(RHS)
GBP1,395 each

Flying spares
3W0616040M (RHS)
3W0616039D (LHS)
GBP1,653 each

Thanks
J

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello J
Just remember that Arnotts "NEW" design does NOT retain the electronic dampening in their new struts, they are a one setting valve just like a standard shock absorber, although I have not used Aerosus, I did call them to verify that they did indeed retain the OEM design, and the answer was "Yes, just as factory", "Each air suspension strut comes complete with air spring, shock absorber and electromagnetic control valve", they also give a good discount when buying a pair, and fast free delivery.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 AM
I chatted to flying spare and they commented that they have sold new Arnott shocks that retain the electronic dampening adjustments but I want to be sure before purchasing any parts.

Below taken from Arnott website. Does the "custom valved" means its non adjustable thus electrical connection is purely for auto leveling use?

"Arnott designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort and auto leveling of air springs but replace the older auto damping shock with a brand new shock custom valved to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.

Thanks
J

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...ml#prettyPhoto

Thanks

J

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello J

Last edited by jc333; 07-24-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Administrator
Good Morning Jc,

I saw this first in my email "Just searching around and found that the new Arnott shock on their website does have the electronic dampening in their new struts.", and the answer is no, they do not.

Now, as to what flying spares is stating, they are incorrect, and if you press flying spares to contact Arnott, they will find that they to have been misled, Arnotts new strut does NOT retain any electronic dampening adjustments of any kind, what they did is put a resistor inside the strut and did not tell anyone that until I pressed them with phone calls and on AW, even when I called them their tech tried to tell me that their "new valve has 4 levels of dampening", I laughed and asked for details on how if in fact did not have the electromagnet dampener, and after several back and forths on the phone it came out that it was just a normal shock valve with no adjustments of dampening levels at all, and the fact that they stuck a resistor inside, that to they were hesitant to tell me, instead stating "we will tell you how to fix the dash warning light after you purchase our struts", NOT COOL !!

Also just to clear the electrical connection up, it has nothing to do with the "auto leveling", the electrical connection on the top of the struts is strictly for the dampening of the strut, the auto leveling is taken care of by the airbags that are attached to the struts and only have a air line feeding each airbag, the leveling is done by way of level sensors at all four corners attached to the suspension, a air compressor, and a suspension control module.

And as to the link for arnotts Bentley strut, I take it as very misleading, I mean really, why not come right out and state that the new struts do away with the electromagnet dampening which in turn takes away your ability to actually have a setting of sport VS. comfort, and takes away the many different mappings used in the electromagnet dampener based on the skyhook theory, it is NOT just the airbags that set the ride feel and control, it is the electromagnet struts also, and how about the fact they think it is okay to put one of their new struts on one side of your vehicle while retaining the OEM unit on the other, does anyone else see a problem with that, I mean one side of the car will be reacting electronically to the road conditions, while theirs does not....

Originally Posted by jc333
I chatted to flying spare and they commented that they have sold new Arnott shocks that retain the electronic dampening adjustments but I want to be sure before purchasing any parts.

Below taken from Arnott website. Does the "custom valved" means its non adjustable thus electrical connection is purely for auto leveling use?

"Arnott designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort and auto leveling of air springs but replace the older auto damping shock with a brand new shock custom valved to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.

Thanks
J

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...ml#prettyPhoto

Thanks

J

Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Hi Johnny

Appreciate the input as always.

I did type up another msg but deleted as Im constantly searching for correct information and was thrown off when flying spares told me the Arnott retain full OE function.

Having searched this forum I see that Doug from Arnott stated that whilst auto levelling works the dampening adjustments do not work.

I have since copied that link and sent to flying spares who will in turn contact Arnott and confirm what they are actually selling. I was about to purchase the new Arnott from flying spares when I recalled one of your messages stating it did not have the adjustable dampening function.

So after searching high and low for suitable new shock with all OE features, I'm back at square one and will purchase front pair from flying spares.The price difference between recon with core and delivery to mine is around USD620 so new is defo the way to go for peace of mind.

Thanks
J

Last edited by jc333; 07-24-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM
davidaragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks to the input, I appreciate it.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Both shocks arrived yesterday from flyingspares, both "M" revision and installed.

You can see in photo where the right shock airbag blew a hole in the dust cover.

Thanks for the input again Johnny.

J

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GT shocks.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	505560  
Old 08-02-2017, 05:42 AM
My mech also noticed that the upper control arms bushes were slightly cracked. This was strange seeing these arms were only replaced a 2-3yrs ago. I guess that mech didnt pre-load the bushings so might as well replace now with suspension out.

Old pressed out and replaced with audi parts which uses a larger collar so should offer less flex, cost of bushes just USD128.

J

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:19 AM
ret09gt is on a distinguished road
Do you have the Audi bushing part number?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.