Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

GT intermittent tail light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:36 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
GT intermittent tail light

I have a 2004 GT with an intermittent right top portion tail light. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it works or doesn't is at start-up and there-on... till the next time I start the vehicle.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 07-28-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Better wording
Old 07-29-2018, 06:38 AM
quarryman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I had this problem with a side lamp bulb, Start up it was ok,run over a bump / pothole I had the warning come up sidelamp bulb out, Turns out a loose bulb connection. Hope that helps.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by quarryman
Hi, I had this problem with a side lamp bulb, Start up it was ok,run over a bump / pothole I had the warning come up sidelamp bulb out, Turns out a loose bulb connection. Hope that helps.
Thanks... I had the same problem with a side marker lamp... and the same fix fixed it. I think my problem with my tail light is more involved than a loose bulb connection. I also have a 2008 GTC, and I think it takes the same tail light as my 2004 GT, and if so, I'll try swapping fixtures with the two vehicles and see what. I'll report back. I think the problem might be in that Osram LED ballast module.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Hi Folks: I'm reporting back on "making some progress" on my intermittent upper right tail light problem. So, my initial plan was to swap the right tail light from my 2008 GTC to my 2004 GT and see if the problem moved with the tail light. That plan didn't happen as I looked around on eBay and found an "ok" deal on a complete guaranteed right tail light assembly... I figured it couldn't hurt to have a spare even if the intermittent problem isn't in the tail light. So the replacement tail light arrived today... and now my right tail light is operating flawlessly.

Uh... the replacement tail light is still in it's box. Lemme explain: For the past couple weeks since I posted this thread, the upper LED portion of my right tail light hasn't worked at-all.... I've tried it like 15 to 20 times... nadda. I figured "whatever" had given up the ghost... part of my reason for going on the hunt for a replacement. So today, right after the UPS guy delivered my replacement, I decided to move my 2004 GT (with the defunct tail light) out of my garage and into my shop... to the parts receiving location (next to the tool box). I fired-up the GT, and just for the heck of it, decided to check that tail light (because the "check lights" warning on the DIC was... G.O.N.E.) … the tail light was working perfectly. I cycled the lights and ignition a few times... perfect, reliable function of the tail light.

Go figure. I'm thinking I'll give my repair job the acid test: Ask my better 1/2 to take the GT for a spin and see if my fix-it stays fixed. Maybe just for insurance sake, I'll keep the replacement tail light assembly in the trunk, with a 10mm nut driver... ready to change at a moment's notice. I figure if the GT can smell the threat of a replacement's existence from 100ft. away and through two buildings, then having the replacement within inches of the problem light should cement the deal.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM
My tail light "fix" failed the acid test... all I had to do was show the previously functioning tail light to my better 1/2 and it didn't work. So I swapped out the tail light with the replacement, and that worked. Then I pulled the replacement tail light assembly and swapped the replacement's LED driver to my original tail light assembly, and it functions as it should. Seemingly the problem was with the LED driver.