Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Changing key fob/housing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:03 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Changing key fob/housing

I have a 2004 GT with just one key (presently). The fob/housing looks like it has had a hard life... pretty beat-up and falling apart if it wasn't for the gaff tape holding it together. I'm thinking of sourcing a replacement fob and swap the guts and key... but am wondering first if this can be accomplished by a lay person like myself or if a project like this is in the realm of brain surgery?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:03 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
2004 would have the early style VAG key fob. Open the battery compartment first. At the top of the battery area are two very small screws remove them. Carefully remove the Bentley insignia. This will reveal a tiny phillips screw, undo the screw. Open, this will reveal the printed circuit board. The fussy area is the little metal clip that holds the battery, it wants to fall out so remember how that went in. The other fussy spot is the panic button and little metal piece, remember their locations. The switchblade key is also fussy, examine it before disassembly. This is not brain surgery just be careful not to drop stuff.

A key fob for an Audi of the same design and era is interchangeable. There are excellent examples for $25 on eBay. The later style Bentley key fobs also work however the prices on eBay are ridiculous. After scouring eBay, finally found a mint new style for $60. My opinion, the newer style key fobs wear out quickly if using the buttons on the control. They are rubberized and eventually wear out. They look and feel nice, though.

The used key fobs are not re-adoptable. The eBay vendors use clever ways of suggesting that some independent locksmith or dealer could magically make these keys work. The magic is taking them apart and installing your existing printed circuit board in the donor fob and Wallah it works.

There is a more detailed forum posting on the subject with pictures. The instructions go over converting from the old style fob to the new style. The above explanation is essentially all you have to do. This is a common sense project.

Have fun learn.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 12-14-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:34 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I just did my 2005 FOB about 6/8 weeks ago. I bought one of the Ebay Chinese "shells" (which are plastic metal like the OEMs) and transferred the internals. $37 for the shell, takes close to a month for ship. There are 3 or 4 different vendors, all within the same price range and, I'm guessing all from the same source.

I did the transfer myself. My eyes aren't what they were. I took my time. About two three hours complete.

Last edited by BWings; 12-14-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:48 PM
taylorherron is an unknown quantity at this point
I need the same thing with my 2007... it’s wireless start as well. Anybody able to point me to a more in depth forum??? I’ve been beating my head for months on this. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2018, 05:32 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Check out revived posting on key fobs. Reposted the old thread on the Forum page.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Check out revived posting on key fobs. Reposted the old thread on the Forum page.
Thank you! That's very helpful. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I didn't first search for previous threads on this subject... I didn't envision that changing fob housings was as common as it seems to be.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:46 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BWings
I just did my 2005 FOB about 6/8 weeks ago. I bought one of the Ebay Chinese "shells" (which are plastic metal like the OEMs) and transferred the internals. $37 for the shell, takes close to a month for ship. There are 3 or 4 different vendors, all within the same price range and, I'm guessing all from the same source.

I did the transfer myself. My eyes aren't what they were. I took my time. About two three hours complete.

I went on line to find a shell like you were talking about and I could not find one, just new and used bobs starting at $200.00. Do you have a link you could pm me or post. Thanks!

Old 12-22-2018, 05:01 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by John R. Allen
I went on line to find a shell like you were talking about and I could not find one, just new and used bobs starting at $200.00. Do you have a link you could pm me or post. Thanks!
Just one caveat - these do NOT have the panic side button. It wasn't important or necessary to me but every other function of the FOB transfers over using this shell as you will be using your circuit board, and your security key. It will come with a key blank that I just threw away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Quality-Flip-Remote-Key-Shell-Fob-3-Button-for-Bentley-Continental-Mulsanne/262799716161?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited by BWings; 12-22-2018 at 05:06 AM.