Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New here guys and the process of buying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Blackster is an unknown quantity at this point
New here guys and the process of buying

So,
First post and I have searched as best I can for the answer so I thought it best ti ask.
I've always had BMW M cars but have since sold them and got the wife a new RRS. I'm looking to get myself a GT a a third car and also something to enjoy. My question is I've seen a late 2006 model that has 50k miles, good service history and also a supersports kit with halo's, blacked out rear lights etc. For a few grand more I could also get a late 2008 speed with 60k miles. Is there really that much of a difference in the 2 cars, would the speed feel more refined and be a safer buy?
I like the other car as it's already modded and to my taste but I don't want to buy the wrong car as I would also enjoy the modding process myself if I had to go down that route.
So any input or advice would be great. I live in Northern Ireland and have test driven a couple of GT's but have never driven a Speed model to feel or see the difference and in fact there aren't any for sale so I'll have to travel to England for one.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
The vacuum line issue( read old posts) is less of a problem on a 2008 than its predecessors. The vacuum lines run behind the steering rack, not necessary to pull the engine to fix. However, at that age they can be brittle, best if fixed with metal.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Yeah I've read a lot into that issue but I'm really concerned more on the actual cars to drive and finish of them etc

Old 02-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Is the water issue with the electrics addressed on a certain model year, The blocked plenum?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
As pointed out the 2008 has some of the widely know engineering defects fixed. Still, expect very high service and repair bills of course as the air suspension leaks, etc. Personally, after having had two Bentley cars went to a BMW 435i with all top Dinan engine mods (inc larger turbo) and a few other bolt-on mods. The M3 and M4 are nice, yet the 435i modded had the feel i desired combined with excellent speed delivery and as you know the BMW is far faster, and lighter, than the Bentley.

At this point as much as i try to warn people away from Bentley cars due to engineering defects and overly expensive repairs (ALWAYS look for substitute parts as the same part in a Bentley box seems to cost far more than the same part in a VW box. Funny how some cars guys get too seduced by the interior to truly comprehend the lackluster mechanicals that are waiting to break underneath the facade.

Just make sure you totally avoid the convertibles, as the top gets holes in it plus rear window will just fall out due to heat too. $17k or so to replace top.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
As pointed out the 2008 has some of the widely know engineering defects fixed. Still, expect very high service and repair bills of course as the air suspension leaks, etc. Personally, after having had two Bentley cars went to a BMW 435i with all top Dinan engine mods (inc larger turbo) and a few other bolt-on mods. The M3 and M4 are nice, yet the 435i modded had the feel i desired combined with excellent speed delivery and as you know the BMW is far faster, and lighter, than the Bentley.

At this point as much as i try to warn people away from Bentley cars due to engineering defects and overly expensive repairs (ALWAYS look for substitute parts as the same part in a Bentley box seems to cost far more than the same part in a VW box. Funny how some cars guys get too seduced by the interior to truly comprehend the lackluster mechanicals that are waiting to break underneath the facade.

Just make sure you totally avoid the convertibles, as the top gets holes in it plus rear window will just fall out due to heat too. $17k or so to replace top.
Very good advice from an experienced owner. These cars are wonderful but with a huge caveat. When they work they're fun. When they don't they're either challenging or a pain in the ****.

For the Hands-On bunch, owning one of these cars feels right because circumventing the system is gratifying. Also cheap labor, our helpers are our right and left hand.

The bottom line is, if you like BGT's and understand the risks buy one as cheaply as possible with the lowest mileage and the best verified history. However don't make the mistake the fellow on Hoovies Garage made (search online Hoovies Garage Bentley YouTube).

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 02-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.
Yeah I had the F80 M3 when it first came and it’s a very fast and sporty car to drive. I was hoping that the Bentley would be some what similar fun. Maybe not on the country roads as much but still good power but with the added luxury.
I had thought about getting an M6 but then I’ve always had my eye on Bentleys and don’t want to buy something then have regrets either.
So it’s a speed model by the sounds of things I need to be looking out for, newer and hopefully less issues.
Has anyone got a parts list made that shows the equivalent part in Audi or VW?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM
We were hoping that you would do this for us. Regrettably, sometimes a fishing expedition.

Kidding aside, one can search the Bentley part number and cross it to a VAG number. Other times a little homework reading the description and taking a chance.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the advice so far guys

Old 02-20-2019, 02:13 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Blackster
Thanks for the reply guys.
Yeah I had the F80 M3 when it first came and it’s a very fast and sporty car to drive. I was hoping that the Bentley would be some what similar fun. Maybe not on the country roads as much but still good power but with the added luxury.
I had thought about getting an M6 but then I’ve always had my eye on Bentleys and don’t want to buy something then have regrets either.
So it’s a speed model by the sounds of things I need to be looking out for, newer and hopefully less issues.
Has anyone got a parts list made that shows the equivalent part in Audi or VW?

I'll bet this isn't the M6 you're talking about, but my M6....got it new in 88.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM
That would be worth good money today, I had been looking at he new shape. Well last model now the 8 series is out