Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Upgrading the stereo redux advice por favor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by British
Oh, and what in the world do I do with non-standard size 3.14", and 6.3" speakers? Do those translate into something easy, like Eurospec speakers or something? I'll get back on Crutchfied.
You will have to hands on measure the 160mm bass speaker for exact measurement, as it is listed as a 160mm size, and 160mm equates to 6.29921 inches, so it is either a 6.25" or a 6.5", I have seen both sizes in other vehicles, but not sure as to the exact size on the B.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
You will have to hands on measure the 160mm bass speaker for exact measurement, as it is listed as a 160mm size, and 160mm equates to 6.29921 inches, so it is either a 6.25" or a 6.5", I have seen both sizes in other vehicles, but not sure as to the exact size on the B.
Lol ... You beat me to it Johnny ... 100% right.

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-30-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 PM
If you want to be really adventurous take a look at this link ...

British, in this 2nd link You'll see how the Focal speakers have been adapted to the doors & how an subwoofer has been fitted to the centre ski hatch ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-30-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
If you want to be really adventurous take a look at this link ...

https://youtu.be/FOEAoRLyxhs

British, in this 2nd link You'll see how the Focal speakers have been adapted to the doors & how an subwoofer has been fitted to the centre ski hatch ...

https://youtu.be/54wi3oe0zgI
It's interesting, I had actually watched this video while I was still shopping for a car, now it makes a lot more sense to me. It's interesting that they changed the 6x9 to a 6.5" Focal, the exact same speaker my installer quoted me for the $4,800 quote. I still didn't see the 3" midrange anywhere.

It's also interesting how they kept the factory receiver but put in a TON of amps.

This is really starting to look like a $9k or $10k build, ouch.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:46 PM
lol, I had a funny feeling you were going to ask where the Mid's were, the 80mm (3") Mid is behind the door card, or shall I say attached to it ...

Its not going to cost that kind of money if you do spend that I'll fly over & you can pay me 10K ... , I can spend 3.5k 5k in dollars here and fit a full active Audison system ...

I don't know how much the BenHur system are there, but lets say 1k, speakers good range down the middle 800 to 1k, 2 good size amps $600, cable & a few bits $200, fit it yourself for free or pay what $500 ... see where im going ...

Right im going bed its 2am, & I've lost an hour due to this silly policy in the UK of putting the clocks forward an hour, drives me mad ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-30-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I ought to bring you over, then I'd feel better about this whole project, someone who knows what they're doing, versus selling me stuff. I do worry about the actual workmanship.

But it is actually pretty easy to get to $9,000US which is what I'm worried about.

Benhur: $2,500
Alpine hea $900
Amp: $400
Camera/phone mount: $150
Subwoofer $500
6.5" (2) $1,000
6x9 (2) $1,000
tweeters (4) $400
3" (4) $800
crossovers $400
cabling $100
install $1,000

Total $9,150
Sales tax (US) $815

And...we're at $10k.

That's with really nice Focal speakers though. I could probably cut the speaker cost in 1/2 if I didn't want to go high-end.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:49 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I have much respect for you guys!

I remember a time when purity of sound was well worth the money and money well spent regardless of the cost.....

.....Then you get to my age and I am now completely into......talk radio.......LOL!

All I really need is one working factory speaker and I'm good...haha!

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by British
I ought to bring you over, then I'd feel better about this whole project, someone who knows what they're doing, versus selling me stuff. I do worry about the actual workmanship.

But it is actually pretty easy to get to $9,000US which is what I'm worried about.

Benhur: $2,500
Alpine hea $900
Amp: $400
Camera/phone mount: $150
Subwoofer $500
6.5" (2) $1,000
6x9 (2) $1,000
tweeters (4) $400
3" (4) $800
crossovers $400
cabling $100
install $1,000

Total $9,150
Sales tax (US) $815

And...we're at $10k.

That's with really nice Focal speakers though. I could probably cut the speaker cost in 1/2 if I didn't want to go high-end.
Wow things are not cheep there
The Alpine head unit which one you going for
What do you mean cam / phone mount

If you don't mind would you send me the model numbers to the list you posted, that BenHur you guys are paying like double from us in the UK

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-31-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by BWings
I have much respect for you guys!

I remember a time when purity of sound was well worth the money and money well spent regardless of the cost.....

.....Then you get to my age and I am now completely into......talk radio.......LOL!

All I really need is one working factory speaker and I'm good...haha!
HI BWings ... if you don't mind me asking how old are you, can't be much older than me if not younger ...

Old 03-31-2019, 10:04 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
HI BWings ... if you don't mind me asking how old are you, can't be much older than me if not younger ...
60....wait for it.....8......68....but I just look a lot older than that...haha....

Old 03-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Smile

60....wait for it.....8......68....but I just look a lot older than that...haha....
that's not old these days still a young man, get one of them bass boxes in the boot ...
Let me give you reality, Im retired some year now not long turned 54, I have a rare illness only 1 in 10 million have this condition Yep I got it, no cure but here's the worse part lost my soulmate 5 months ago she was on holiday with friends and was involved in a fatal, gone just like that. but I keep on going so what do I do I like playing around with me car & love jazz ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-31-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 AM
Ha...funny...I think I'll live vicariously through you guys on the stereo stuff. I'm pretty close to following what you guys are doing. This is one of those projects I don't mind sitting on the sidelines......carry on!

Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 AM
Ha...funny...I think I'll live vicariously through you guys on the stereo stuff. I'm pretty close to following what you guys are doing. This is one of those projects I don't mind sitting on the sidelines......carry on!
Sure thing will keep you updated ... have a look at my post on Bentley GT 2006, colour wiring codes ...

Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
https://www.abt.com/product/75614/Fo...t-PS165FX.html

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT783/bentley-hur.html

https://www.abt.com/product/90891/Fo...r-SUBP25F.html

https://www.abt.com/product/119055/A...r-ILXF309.html

[OR]

https://www.abt.com/product/107313/A...ay-ILX107.html

Plus more 3" and more 6.5" or 6.9"

The "camera" is for the backup camera, the "mount" is for an iPhone 10 mount.

There is a European Focal kit that doesn't seem to be offered here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCAL-Expert-PS165F3-6-5-Flax-Cone-3-Way-Component-Speaker-Kit-With-Dynamat/153384330485?epid=1425212115&hash=item23b66b24f5:g LMAAOSwLXBcatcn

which has the 3", the 6.5" and the tweeter, could get two for $1,000

The power amp, I don't know the exact model. Looks like $1,100.

or

Old 03-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
But...stereo expert installer guy (I found a second opinion) says that the 12 speakers is total overkill and with top-end equipment, I could do fine with fewer. I really don't want to spend $9,000 on this, but I also don't feel like spending a bunch of money only to wish I had done it right.

I do think all of the Bentley stuff needs to come out, minus the stock power amp for the tones. Part of the expense of this is I'm going with absolutely top-end speakers and there are so damn many speakers in this thing. Plus, the Ben Hur at $2,500 is a rip-off extrodinaire.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the stereo redux advice por favor