Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Upgrading the stereo redux advice por favor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:47 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by British
But...stereo expert installer guy (I found a second opinion) says that the 12 speakers is total overkill and with top-end equipment, I could do fine with fewer. I really don't want to spend $9,000 on this, but I also don't feel like spending a bunch of money only to wish I had done it right.

I do think all of the Bentley stuff needs to come out, minus the stock power amp for the tones. Part of the expense of this is I'm going with absolutely top-end speakers and there are so damn many speakers in this thing. Plus, the Ben Hur at $2,500 is a rip-off extrodinaire.
I'll have a look at the other post in a bit, you say your spending good money on good speakers but its a total package, the speakers will only sound as good as what's feeding them ie: head unit & amps ...
One thing your installers will need to think about is other than the 2 tweeters in the front all other speakers are at low level so be sure if fitting less speakers you still getting the sound you are hoping for, maybe get him to do a sound test simulation on cad ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-31-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:56 AM
https://www.abt.com/product/75614/Fo...t-PS165FX.html

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT783/bentley-hur.html

https://www.abt.com/product/90891/Fo...r-SUBP25F.html

https://www.abt.com/product/119055/A...r-ILXF309.html

[OR]

https://www.abt.com/product/107313/A...ay-ILX107.html

Plus more 3" and more 6.5" or 6.9"

The "camera" is for the backup camera, the "mount" is for an iPhone 10 mount.

There is a European Focal kit that doesn't seem to be offered here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCAL-Expert-PS165F3-6-5-Flax-Cone-3-Way-Component-Speaker-Kit-With-Dynamat/153384330485?epid=1425212115&hash=item23b66b24f5:g LMAAOSwLXBcatcn

which has the 3", the 6.5" and the tweeter, could get two for $1,000

The power amp, I don't know the exact model. Looks like $1,100.

or
Ok you mean Reversing Cam,
Why do you need your phone on display, I have mine in the glovebox as soon as I get into the car, then its mirrored onto the head unit fantastic, read all my messages all 1 I may receive lol and emails & basically everything ...
Your hooked on this Focal stuff, your in a country where so many good companies make speakers, as TeamJones & myself mentioned a few times you need to do your research before you layout the cash ...
Halo is not the way forward, not for a Bentley ...
The other equipment looks good, Id rather pay just a little more on the head unit & go for the 7" INE-W710D, but your car your choice, The BenHur is a rip off ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3PZNCL-YUoyVmC

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 03-31-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Ok you mean Reversing Cam,
Why do you need your phone on display, I have mine in the glovebox as soon as I get into the car, then its mirrored onto the head unit fantastic, read all my messages all 1 I may receive lol and emails & basically everything ...
Your hooked on this Focal stuff, your in a country where so many good companies make speakers, as TeamJones & myself mentioned a few times you need to do your research before you layout the cash ...
Halo is not the way forward, not for a Bentley ...
The other equipment looks good, Id rather pay just a little more on the head unit & go for the 7" INE-W710D, but your car your choice, The BenHur is a rip off ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3PZNCL-YUoyVmC
Carplay on the Alpine requires a cable connection, so the suggestion was to do what the other Bentley owner did, just put a mount with an integrated Lightning connector for Carplay and charging. Although really, now that I'm thinking of it, I don't really use Carplay all that much, I mostly use the Bluetooth connection for music. BUt maybe I would use it more if it was just naturally connected? Do you guys use carplay?

In terms of the person who said not to be wedded to the Focal speakers, I hear you. I have been giving that some thought, the only problem is that I don't know speakers that well. I have a suspicion that Alpine speakers are mostly marketing. I don't mind spending $1,000 on a full set of Focals, but in the States, it's probably closer to $2,000 which is where it starts to get silly. I've been scouring message boards and Reddit and such, plus Crutchfield reviews, and all I know is that Focal is the best and nobody complains about them. I haven't found what I know to be out there, something 50% cheaper and not really any different sounding. I'm not a huge music aficionado, I mostly crank it up and hate distortion, so it's not like I'm an audiophile.

I knew when I bought the car I was going to upgrade the radio, I've been driving new Cadillacs every three years for fifteen years now, the radios have gotten so good. I can crank them up, the bluetooth connects instantly, the big 9" touch screen looks nice...this Bentley is going to have to at least match what a GM mass-produced car can do.

Really, my installer/professional should be guiding me through this, but I also need to do research on my own. Showing up with a Bentley is something baller basketball and football players do, I don't need the hype, I want something that gives me pleasure when I drive to work early in the morning.

In terms of the flush-mount Alpine (at least I've settled on Alpine HD for a head unit) or the Halo9, I am simply torn. When I looked a the 6,8" flush-mount, the screen just looked so small. He said he might be able to modify the plastic to go to the next size up, but we held the template against the Ben Hur and it really didn't fit. But the Halo9 sticks out and looks like an Uber driver stuck a tablet with a suction cup against the "real" radio.

Back to my installer...he should be doing this for me, but in the sad truth of this world, he's apparently the best around, he is slammed and doesn't have enough sales help. The shop is stuffed full of exotics, all getting worked on, the parking lot behind is full, so it feels like the right place, but I'm going to have to do most of the legwork.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:00 PM
Hola British
Yes we do use CarPlay & Android Auto depending on which phone one uses.
I see what you mean just make a plan on paper what you need out of the upgrade then narrow it down if you don't want to go ahead with the full upgrade & all the components you think you need & stick to it, thats the way you'll get it done ...

Old 03-31-2019, 05:28 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Wish we could do a nice group buy 🤔

Old 04-01-2019, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
Wish we could do a nice group buy 🤔
Lol would be great ...

Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Hello British
Maybe this will help choosing the right speakers :-

Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Hello British
Hows the new system coming along, have you sorted how you going to re-direct the PDC Beeps ...

Old 04-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Here's where I am so far:

1. Ordered the Ben-Hur
2. Ordered two boxes of Focal speakers
3. I have been really dwelling on your advice and I think...maybe...I'm going to experiment and just change the radio, Ben Hur and speakers. Add a subwoofer. Leave the rest alone.

Adding a twelve-channel DSP seems like overkill, if the OEM power amp can power these speakers.

I'm thinking about asking for a new proposal to do just that, versus changing the amps.

Or, I could add a new amp and run a wire pair from the amp to under the dash and have a dedicated speaker for just the beeps.

What do you think? I know you're putting in a high-powered system, I am just replacing some junk (my radio/speakers are really, really bad, like something is shorted out) can I realistically keep the OEM amp?

And...do you think I could fit a 3" powered subwoofer under the seat? Is there enough room? I've never had the seats out. I tend to doubt it.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Here's where I am so far:

1. Ordered the Ben-Hur
2. Ordered two boxes of Focal speakers
3. I have been really dwelling on your advice and I think...maybe...I'm going to experiment and just change the radio, Ben Hur and speakers. Add a subwoofer. Leave the rest alone.

Adding a twelve-channel DSP seems like overkill, if the OEM power amp can power these speakers.

I'm thinking about asking for a new proposal to do just that, versus changing the amps.

Or, I could add a new amp and run a wire pair from the amp to under the dash and have a dedicated speaker for just the beeps.

What do you think? I know you're putting in a high-powered system, I am just replacing some junk (my radio/speakers are really, really bad, like something is shorted out) can I realistically keep the OEM amp?

And...do you think I could fit a 3" powered subwoofer under the seat? Is there enough room? I've never had the seats out. I tend to doubt it.
I thunk your doing the right thing by leaving the stock amp, as you say maybe to much work, you can always replace the amp on a later date if your not happy with the sound, but to be honest you will be ok with the amp what's in the car. As for the sub ammm under the seat Im not sure about that & I don't think there is any room under there, I'll have a look tomorrow & let you know.
The PDC Beeps if you do go ahead & replace the stock amp, the wiring will have to be picked up from the loom at the stock amp & then run 2 pairs to the front & 2 pairs to the rear, yes you could install small cheap speakers & install them anywhere really even under the seat ...

Old 05-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Hello British ...
Is your car been done now, if so how is the new system, upload some pics ...

Old 05-20-2019, 03:35 AM
Monroe903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Carplay on the Alpine requires a cable connection, so the suggestion was to do what the other Bentley owner did, just put a mount with an integrated Lightning connector for Carplay and charging. Although really, now that I'm thinking of it, I don't really use Carplay all that much, I mostly use the Bluetooth connection for music. BUt maybe I would use it more if it was just naturally connected? Do you guys use carplay?

In terms of the person who said not to be wedded to the Focal speakers, I hear you. I have been giving that some thought, the only problem is that I don't know speakers that well. I have a suspicion that Alpine speakers are mostly marketing. I don't mind spending $1,000 on a full set of Focals, but in the States, it's probably closer to $2,000 which is where it starts to get silly. I've been scouring message boards and Reddit and such, plus Crutchfield reviews, and all I know is that Focal is the best and nobody complains about them. I haven't found what I know to be out there, something 50% cheaper and not really any different sounding. I'm not a huge music aficionado, I mostly crank it up and hate distortion, so it's not like I'm an audiophile.

I knew when I bought the car I was going to upgrade the radio, I've been driving new Cadillacs every three years for fifteen years now, the radios have gotten so good. I can crank them up, the bluetooth connects instantly, the big 9" touch screen looks nice...this Bentley is going to have to at least match what a GM mass-produced car can do.

Really, my installer/professional should be guiding me through this, but I also need to do research on my own. Showing up with a Bentley is something baller basketball and football players do, I don't need the hype, I want something that gives me pleasure when I drive to work early in the morning.

In terms of the flush-mount Alpine (at least I've settled on Alpine HD for a head unit) or the Halo9, I am simply torn. When I looked a the 6,8" flush-mount, the screen just looked so small. He said he might be able to modify the plastic to go to the next size up, but we held the template against the Ben Hur and it really didn't fit. But the Halo9 sticks out and looks like an Uber driver stuck a tablet with a suction cup against the "real" radio.

Back to my installer...he should be doing this for me, but in the sad truth of this world, he's apparently the best around, he is slammed and doesn't have enough sales help. The shop is stuffed full of exotics, all getting worked on, the parking lot behind is full, so it feels like the right place, but I'm going to have to do most of the legwork.
I have a 2013 Conti GT and just ordered the Halo 9. Nobody around here knows how to install it though. It seems that the AC unit is connected to the factory head unit in a way that you can't use it without oem unit.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Monroe903
I have a 2013 Conti GT and just ordered the Halo 9. Nobody around here knows how to install it though. It seems that the AC unit is connected to the factory head unit in a way that you can't use it without oem unit.
Hello Monroe903 ... Yes correct the heating system is displayed on the stock head unit. How are you installing the Alpine unit ? or how were thinking of installing the new head unit, this is what most of us do when installing a new head unit, its called a BenHur an after market control unit that gets rid of the stock head unit and the switching gear.
I have a post on here you could have a look you may get a better idea "Bentley GT 2006 - speaker wiring colour codes" ...

Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 PM
Monroe903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Hello Monroe903 ... Yes correct the heating system is displayed on the stock head unit. How are you installing the Alpine unit ? or how were thinking of installing the new head unit, this is what most of us do when installing a new head unit, its called a BenHur an after market control unit that gets rid of the stock head unit and the switching gear.
I have a post on here you could have a look you may get a better idea "Bentley GT 2006 - speaker wiring colour codes" ...

I asked the guys at NavTv and be said that the Ben-hur doesn't work on the 2012 and newer models, so you telling me it does?

Old 05-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Monroe903
I asked the guys at NavTv and be said that the Ben-hur doesn't work on the 2012 and newer models, so you telling me it does?
That is news to me, let me find out for you, I know the guys who designed the BenHur, I'll send them an email but most properly won't here back from them till tomorrow ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the stereo redux advice por favor