Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2005 GT wont shift past 3rd and stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 01:27 PM
camelotceo is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 GT wont shift past 3rd and stuck in limp mode

Hey guys I'm new here but I just bought a 2005 GT with 39k miles on it. Car runs perfect until 4th gear. In auto mode it will go through 1,2,3 just fine but when it hits 4th it tries to shift back to 3rd. It will do this about 3 times then go into limp mode or protection mode where it drives in one gear until I turn it off and on again. In sports mode I can shift 1,2,3 but when I shift to 4th it will pause on 4th (but not engaged in the gear) then light up 5th and 6th again not actually engaging the gear simply lighting up on the gauge cluster after which it goes to limp mode again.
I took it to a well know independent shop t and they said its bushings etc and it needs an overhaul at the cost of $12,000. I've been doing some research and seems like a lot of people misdiagnose this tranny and it could simply be something funky with the TCU or selenoids or sleves etc. Either way all those are way less than $12k to fix. Can someone help me properly diagnose this issue or share your similar story? I live in the ft lauderdale area so feel free to recommend a good tranny mech.
Thanks guys

-W

Old 05-04-2019, 05:47 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
The first thing would be to have someone do a scan of the transmission system. As discussed in the past the Ross Tech vcds is the best system for evaluating problems such as this.

Search Ross Tech vcds and become familiar with the system and decide if it is something worth purchasing. There are members on the Forum that are familiar with the electronics once they have the scanned information.

As far as what button to push or cable to check that would be difficult without the above information. At 39,000 miles one would be suspicious of a $12,000 transmission repair

Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 PM
Jurgeenh Borbon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by camelotceo
Hey guys I'm new here but I just bought a 2005 GT with 39k miles on it. Car runs perfect until 4th gear. In auto mode it will go through 1,2,3 just fine but when it hits 4th it tries to shift back to 3rd. It will do this about 3 times then go into limp mode or protection mode where it drives in one gear until I turn it off and on again. In sports mode I can shift 1,2,3 but when I shift to 4th it will pause on 4th (but not engaged in the gear) then light up 5th and 6th again not actually engaging the gear simply lighting up on the gauge cluster after which it goes to limp mode again.
I took it to a well know independent shop t and they said its bushings etc and it needs an overhaul at the cost of $12,000. I've been doing some research and seems like a lot of people misdiagnose this tranny and it could simply be something funky with the TCU or selenoids or sleves etc. Either way all those are way less than $12k to fix. Can someone help me properly diagnose this issue or share your similar story? I live in the ft lauderdale area so feel free to recommend a good tranny mech.
Thanks guys

-W
Did you find a solution to this problem, is weird a transmission replaced at only 39K miles.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Linescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud of
The miles are irrelevant. Some engines and transmissions are bad out of the factory. I would have it checked out by someone else with experience on these transmissions.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 PM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
check my video

it is common if you running in city
3-4 flare then back to limp home mode

fault code
Gear monitoring Clutch E issue