Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bgtc rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Bgtc rear spoiler

Hi guys when I got the car the spoiler never worked at all so I stripped the motor out of the mechanism to find the brushes had gone I cross referenced the motor and replaced with a BMW sunroof motor and it now operates through the three stages and returns to the park position but after cycling through the stages the light comes on on the dashboard and then will not work again until I turn the ignition off and on again and it will then cycle through the three stages.ive looked at the old motor and there are no electronics to support any height control it's purely a motor,any ideas why this is happening ? Is there an installation process to follow etc thanks

Old 06-26-2019, 03:07 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Ross Tech : should an initiation (which appears to have been done) doesn't work to disconnect the j223 controller wait 15 to 20 minutes and try again.

Initiation process is pressing the manual button to activate the airfoil go up and then down in the stages described in OP.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 06-26-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Ross Tech : should an initiation (which appears to have been done) doesn't work to disconnect the j223 controller wait 15 to 20 minutes and try again.

Initiation process is pressing the manual button to activate the airfoil go up and then down in the stages described in OP.
thanks for the reply. where's the controller?

Old 06-26-2019, 05:58 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Try pulling fuse number F9 : boot fuse box and fuse 71 under dash fuse panel (driver side US). They are the fuses on j223. This is my estimate of the fuses. Double check your service manual or your owner's manual.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:54 AM
joc44 will become famous soon enoughjoc44 will become famous soon enough

Try this

Last edited by joc44; 06-27-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 AM
Try pulling fuse number F9 : boot fuse box and fuse 71 under dash fuse panel (driver side US). They are the fuses on j223. This is my estimate of the fuses. Double check your service manual or your owner's manual.
I will.gibw this a try later thanks I'll keep you updated

Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 AM

Thought I'd have a look at spoiler tonight are these pictures correct? Not having ever seen one before it's hard to get a pic of the mechanism what are the small arms pointed at with the yellow pointer? Does it look all there thanks

Old 07-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Position sensors.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Position sensors.
Are they in the correct position ?

Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Yoghurtshotgun
Are they in the correct position ?
Your photo appears that it isn't connected appropriately. Here is a view of one of my units.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Your photo appears that it isn't connected appropriately. Here is a view of one of my units.
It is connected like that but it looks like I'm missing a plastic cover but not sure if that would cause the issue I have .the picture I took was from the inside looking out I'll take another

Old 07-01-2019, 10:53 AM
All the photos look good. One of them appears like the arm is not connected but that could be an illusion.

Look at Ross Tech setup of the airfoil. The wiki is pretty specific about adapting the j223. Removing the fuses or maybe disconnecting the battery achieves the same result. Forcing the j223 to recognize the positions of the airfoil to function automatically.

Regarding changing the speed of deployment, this subject has been brought up in the past on the Forum. The best explanation is that the programming is done at the factory. The only Ross Tech airfoil explanation is the above, at least what I know of.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 07-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Looking online it looks as if I have everything but the cover which has no operational function looking at the schematic pulled from scudaria so I'll try the fuse removal the batteries have been disconnected a hundred times lately so I don't think that will make a difference

Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM
joc44 will become famous soon enoughjoc44 will become famous soon enough
@Yoghurtshotgun Do you have your hand book, see page 5/33 and 5/34

Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Ross tech "wiki":
Research Ross Tech vcds online. This is the best way to scan the ecu's in a Bentley. Without this tool while working extensively on the car especially disconnecting batteries total clearing of ECU stored trouble codes is important. This is a windows-based program that works with Ross Tech's data cable to the OBD port under the dash. This works beyond standard generic trouble codes.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 07-01-2019 at 12:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bgtc rear spoiler