Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Please help - Bentley Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 AM
jtec963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all,

My 2004 Bentley Continental GT has now been taken to a different garage. The last guy had it for 4 months........
I need to locate a replacement Kessy module. The numbers I need to match are 3D0909135L.
Can anyone offer anything that matches?

Thanks Paul.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jtec963
Hi all,

My 2004 Bentley Continental GT has now been taken to a different garage. The last guy had it for 4 months........
I need to locate a replacement Kessy module. The numbers I need to match are 3D0909135L.
Can anyone offer anything that matches?

Thanks Paul.
There's one here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VW-T.../184165910171?
It's from a Touareg so others shouldn't be too difficult to find, but as explained earlier, it would be more effective if you quote the build standard that you are seeking...

Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Hi Dark Green, I saw that one thanks. I am speaking to a friend regarding the one available in Budapest, he lives there and may be able to get it faster. Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by "build standard"? Thanks Paul

Old 06-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
Hi Dark Green, I saw that one thanks. I am speaking to a friend regarding the one available in Budapest, he lives there and may be able to get it faster. Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by "build standard"? Thanks Paul
If you read my post on this very thread from 05-23-2020 at 07:02, then you'll find that I explained the issue of interoperability and build standard at length.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:57 AM
Thanks Dark Green,

I have given the VIN number to the supplier of the Kessy unit to hopefully ensure I receive the correct item. The new garage

are making quick progress. I need to find a replacement circuit board for the drivers side window, boot and fuel cap controls. Can anyone help here?

Old 06-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Thanks Dark Green,

I have given the VIN number to the supplier of the Kessy unit to hopefully ensure I receive the correct item. The new garage

are making quick progress. I need to find a replacement circuit board for the drivers side window, boot and fuel cap controls. Can anyone help here?
Hi mate it's matt I had the same. Problem and bought one for a vw phaeton for 50 pound open the unit and just swap over the circuit board into your Bentley one as the keys are different

Old 06-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Alpine has the board brand new.. $$$

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373004360981

Or this used switch panel for parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124200500031

Depending on where you are in the world.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add information
Old 06-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Hi Johnny,

I am in the UK and the seller says he may only ship internally in U.S. Unable to log in to eBay.com only eBay uk. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272528720503
This is what you need mate

Old 06-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Thanks a lot Yoghurtshotgun!!! Just emailed them.
Brilliant name by the way!!!!

Old 06-09-2020, 02:11 AM
gtrkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
KESSY update

Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
Great post ^^^^ Dark Green
Hi all, an update from Covid free NZ!
The replacement KESSY unit I purchased was not virgin after all...but not a problem as it happens.
Based on Dark Greens info around software and hardware versions I had the eeprom swapped from my old KESSY to the new unit with the same part number, software and hardware numbers.
I got it back this morning and plugged it in with great anticipation. I turned the ignition and pushed the start button and the beast burst into life!
The lesson here is that cloning or swapping the eeprom works a treat so long as all the numbers match up on the two KESSY. units.
I have yet to drive the car as there seems to be other stuff going on as in a very noisy alternator bearing and the engine check light has just come on despite having cleared the huge number of DTC codes created by the water damaged KESSY. A continuing saga.............
Thanks to all who helped.
​​​​​​​Stephen.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:43 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Great news and post as many others will be going down this well trodden path because of water ingress .

Alternator is VAG thing with water cooling at the back .Just two €2 O rings prevent coolant leaking out .Theses perish ( heat cycles etc ) and inevitably start to leak .....water enters amongst other things the bearing.
There are threads on here and if it needs replacing it’s pretty tight in there and even though it’s a VAG part the connections and pipes are pretty specific.So tread carefully.You are back into parts compatibility.....but not tech this time physically getting it ( if it’s not got the correct suffix letter ) to fit back ....brackets + connections different for different VAG modals ....even though it’s the same basic alternator output etc .
You might be able to just refurb the thing at a car shop re new bearings assuming the windings are sound .
Always replace the O rings ...that’s a DIY Job .

To access this it’s a front end off job , remove the radiator etc .Although you can swing the rad to a “ service position “ it’s best to completely remove it .

Then you are in to a “ while you are in “ situation.
New poly belt + idler ( it might be the idler bearing anyhow ? ) .....but all the same pull the alternator and changes those O rings .
Carefully satisfy yourself the integrity of the rad while it’s off and it’s pipes .....they all corrode eventually if the roads are salted in the winter ,so make a decision on that when you can fully examine it .

Think about any headlight bulb refresh while the front is off = now easy access to the rear of the units .

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 06-09-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:56 PM
gtrkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks John for the info, very enlightening. I was reading the Bentley manual re the alternator and it casually mentions remove engine as part of the alternator removal process. It is good to know it can be removed less invasively. I haven't even been able to drive the car yet.....it runs for 30 seconds and stops....MAF sensor code
P0101. I will be a Bentley master tech before I am done...yeah...nah!
I will keep you posted.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 AM
Harold Beane is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Bentley

Hi, I'm Paul and I've just joined this group and would be extremely grateful for some advice. I have a 2004 Benley Continental GT. Great car but I have a major problem - it won't start!!! I replaced both batteries as the car was struggling to start and one was not holding a charge. Since I've replaced the batteries, the car will not start. The key is stuck in the ignition and won't release. I've had an auto electrician out and he's checked all fuses etc and they are fine. Power to dash, lights work etc but it appears that there is no power to ignition. Drivers front and back windows would go down but not up - now they won't move at all. Car is stuck outside under a cover but I'm desperate to get it inside. Did I do anything wrong when replacing batteries? Is there a certain sequence I should have gone through when reconnecting? The key fob was recently overhauled and new battery fitted - the car was running after this was done. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

hey bro did you ever find out what the problem was with your car? I am having the same issue.
beane

Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 AM
2004 Bentley Continental GT

Just to update everyone. The car is now fixed and running very well. The Kessy was replaced - cost me around GBP£250. The window controls on drivers door were also f*+ked. Replaced this with one from a Toureg (thanks Matt!!) - cost me around GBP£60.00. Paid GBP£570.00 for labour.............. so all in the repair was around GBP£900.00. I think this was good value as the car has been off the road since November last year. Just took it our and it's like a flying machine again. Going to keep it inside and covered up from now on. Also, invested in a trickle charger because I've learned that the electrics on these are a fu*king nightmare when they go wrong.

Forgot to say. I had the car fully serviced. All filters etc. Changed the plugs aswell. This cost me GBP£600.00. I would be interested to find out what people are paying for servicing. Thanks Paul.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please help - Bentley Won't Start