Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Please help - Bentley Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 05:29 AM
jtec963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help - Bentley Won't Start

Hi, I'm Paul and I've just joined this group and would be extremely grateful for some advice. I have a 2004 Benley Continental GT. Great car but I have a major problem - it won't start!!! I replaced both batteries as the car was struggling to start and one was not holding a charge. Since I've replaced the batteries, the car will not start. The key is stuck in the ignition and won't release. I've had an auto electrician out and he's checked all fuses etc and they are fine. Power to dash, lights work etc but it appears that there is no power to ignition. Drivers front and back windows would go down but not up - now they won't move at all. Car is stuck outside under a cover but I'm desperate to get it inside. Did I do anything wrong when replacing batteries? Is there a certain sequence I should have gone through when reconnecting? The key fob was recently overhauled and new battery fitted - the car was running after this was done. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:45 AM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Others here likely actually know... but I'll offer I had the same seemingly problem with my '08 GTC... so I tried the "emergency start sequence" and that resolved the problem. I don't know if I did the emergency start sequence correctly, but I rotated the key to the left (aux position) and left it there for a few seconds, and then as I recall "turned the key to the run position" and hit the push-button start... the car fired right up and everything normalized.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 11-21-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:28 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
Others here likely actually know... but I'll offer I had the same seemingly problem with my '06 GTC... so I tried the "emergency start sequence" and that resolved the problem. I don't know if I did the emergency start sequence correctly, but I rotated the key to the left (aux position) and left it there for a few seconds, and then as I recall "turned the key to the run position" and hit the push-button start... the car fired right up and everything normalized.
If the emergency start procedure does not work, You can try initializing the car by disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries as follows:

1. The starter battery is the smaller battery on the right in the trunk (facing the back of the car). Disconnect the negative terminal.
2. The house battery is the larger one on the left. Disconnect the negative terminal.
3. Now wait for a couple of minutes.
4. Reconnect the house battery negative terminal.
5. Reconnect the starter battery.
6. Wait for fifteen minutes.
7. You may have to go through some initialization procedures (like window resets, etc.) You can find these by using the search function in this forum
8. Your trunk may not activate the soft close until you close it.
9. Be patient. It takes a few minutes for your car to "re-learn".
10. Use the emergency start procedure outlined in the previous reply.
10. You may get some "load level errors" on the center panel or the anti-skid symbol. These will go away when you drive the car a few blocks.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:46 AM
Thanks for this. I'll try it asap and get back to you.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:47 AM
Thanks, but this did not work.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 AM
Hi Rico,

I've been speaking with an auto electrician and he has asked me if I can source a wiring diagram for the car? Would you know where I could find one?

Thanks, Paul.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Hi Rico,

It would be great to have the whole diagram so that we can go through the car. Many thanks in advance.
Please email it to pparryltd@aol.com.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 11-26-2019, 11:55 AM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if you've tried this yet, but I'll suggest try applying power (batter charger) to the power cable lugs in the engine compartment. There's two power cable lugs, one for the start battery, and the other for everything else. The power lugs are located on the right (passenger) side of the engine mounted on & going through the firewall. The power lugs are two-sided, and can be accessed by either removing the large (fender to fender) cover just ahead of the windshield and under the hood, or remove the right air filter assembly. Regardless of removing the cover or the air cleaner assembly, use care... the latch tabs of the cover are easy to break as well as the snap-in-place tabs at the windshield junction, and there's a bit to removing the air-cleaner assembly (don't drop a screw down the turbo intake for example). The power lugs are equipped with square plastic covers. There's some youtube videos showing how to jump a Bentley GT. Anyhoo: If you get power to the "everything else" power lugs... I'm thinking that should at least allow you to roll-up the windows and remove the key.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:26 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Take a voltmeter reading of the two new batteries.
You are looking for over 13 + v ideally .
i,am getting 13.2 V each one .
The LHS “ house battery “ runs a lot of relays and immobilises.Counterintuitively it’s this LHS one that needs to be tip top .
The smaller RHS just spins the starter motor once the bigger LHS has the power to allow it .

Tell us what volts they both are first please .
Then remeasure each day and report back .

parasitic drain is my diagnosis........from an arm chair !

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 11-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:30 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
I don't know if you've tried this yet, but I'll suggest try applying power (batter charger) to the power cable lugs in the engine compartment. There's two power cable lugs, one for the start battery, and the other for everything else. The power lugs are located on the right (passenger) side of the engine mounted on & going through the firewall. The power lugs are two-sided, and can be accessed by either removing the large (fender to fender) cover just ahead of the windshield and under the hood, or remove the right air filter assembly. Regardless of removing the cover or the air cleaner assembly, use care... the latch tabs of the cover are easy to break as well as the snap-in-place tabs at the windshield junction, and there's a bit to removing the air-cleaner assembly (don't drop a screw down the turbo intake for example). The power lugs are equipped with square plastic covers. There's some youtube videos showing how to jump a Bentley GT. Anyhoo: If you get power to the "everything else" power lugs... I'm thinking that should at least allow you to roll-up the windows and remove the key.
Yeh we need to make sure the bats are 13v + now the fuses are said to be intact .

Old 01-06-2020, 07:36 AM
BENTLEY Continental GT

Hi guys,

I've tried every suggestion and still nothing. Batteries are fully charged but still no power to ignition. All fuses are fine. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jtec963
Hi guys,

I've tried every suggestion and still nothing. Batteries are fully charged but still no power to ignition. All fuses are fine. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul
We need DTC codes. I suspect the KESSY system, but without codes, I'm just guessing. You have covered all the obvious approaches without success. Sadly, it is time to dig deeper.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:51 AM
Hi,

How do I get the DTC codes? Thanks

Old 01-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Hi,

Mate have you put it on a vcds diagnostic machine that will almost certainly tell you what the issue is or atleast point you in the right direction

Old 01-06-2020, 09:54 AM
PMS
Hi,

Diagnostic Test Codes are part of the OBDII platform. There are generic (i.e. ALL BRANDS) codes and there are Brand Specific codes. There are several diagnostic tools available at differing prices. You will find many of them listed here in the forum. I use a VAS5054A system which not only produces the codes,but provides step-by-step instructions for Bentley on how to correct problems. Without these tools or, at least, access to them, you will be shadow boxing in the dark.

Last edited by PMS; 01-06-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: expansion

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please help - Bentley Won't Start