Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2015 Flying Spur 4.0T Turbo failure at 30k miles. Need advice!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 01:56 AM
explodeheader is an unknown quantity at this point
2015 Flying Spur 4.0T Turbo failure at 30k miles. Need advice!!

Hey guys,

I need your help and some valuable advice.

I currently own a 2015 Bentley flying spur, 4.0T Turbocharged. A few days ago I experienced a rough idle, and misfire when I started the vehicle.

After I did some research I found out about this 4.0 turbocharger failure issue on the Audi forum as well as here.

Since the vehicle manufacturer's warranty expired due to the years, so me and my buddy decided to DIY and find out the issue with this car.

Initially, we thought it was failed PCV, then we take out the PCV to find out the passenger side of turbo impellers was all chipped out.

As the picture shown below,

The driver side of the turbo impellers looks fine so far but if you shake the turbo impellers will be easy to move around. Don't know if this is a normal thing or not, but if you do please let me know.

Also, we did a compression test and found out the driver side of the cylinders was in the normal compression range(less than 10%), but the passenger side which had the damaged turbo one, Cylinder 3 have higher than normal compression and cylinder 4(closest one to the turbo have low compression) lower than 10% range.

we suspected the chipped-out metal pieces might be damaging cylinder 4 causing the lower compression.
Our plan is to order a PCV valve from the nearest Audi dealers, check the oil screen, clean it then put everything back on the car.

Should we also replace the oil screen and turbo line even when this vehicle only had 30k miles and did the oil change every 5000 - 7000 miles?

At the same time, we have talked to a service advisor from Bentley dealer and see if he might be able to help us by emailing the Bentley warranty group to replace the turbo for us after the warranty coverage. Still waiting for the answer back from them.

Please advise me if you know the metal piece from the turbo impellers will be damaging cylinder 4 causing the low compression?

Should we also replace the oil turbo line and oil screen even when the car is only at 30k miles?

If you have a previous or similar experience with the situation with Bentley dealership after the warranty expired, feel free to let me know my chance to get it paid by them.

At this moment, I am really frustrating so any advice will be help a lot!! Much appreciated

Old 07-05-2022, 08:28 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by explodeheader
Hey guys,

I need your help and some valuable advice.

I currently own a 2015 Bentley flying spur, 4.0T Turbocharged. A few days ago I experienced a rough idle, and misfire when I started the vehicle.

After I did some research I found out about this 4.0 turbocharger failure issue on the Audi forum as well as here.

we suspected the chipped-out metal pieces might be damaging cylinder 4.

Please advise me if you know the metal piece from the turbo impellers will be damaging cylinder 4.

Bummer.... The next step is pull the spark plugs. With an inspection camera investigate for evidence of damage. As far as further prophylactic measures the advice on the Audi forum is a good source. Most here are W12 fans.

BTW. Yes replace the oil screen strainer since that can cause turbocharger failure as per Audi... same engine and issue.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 07-05-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:22 AM
Filippo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
did Bentley assist with any of the repairs? This seems clearly due to a glugged oil strainer. Audi did a recall on this, I'm trying to see if Bentley will do the same. I have the same engine from 2015 on my Continental GT.
Do you have the start and stop option?