Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Air Intake Duct Hole - Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 02:05 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Air Intake Duct Hole - Replacement

The accordion section of the driver's side intake air duct on my '16 GT, as circled below, has fallen apart on the top rear & rear side leaving a big hole. The usual places are out of stock but I haven't tried my local dealer yet. How big an issue is this? I've covered the area with tape for now. The location is right below the oil filler cap.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:54 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BruceR
The accordion section of the driver's side intake air duct on my '16 GT, as circled below, has fallen apart on the top rear & rear side leaving a big hole. The usual places are out of stock but I haven't tried my local dealer yet. How big an issue is this? I've covered the area with tape for now. The location is right below the oil filler cap. 
Bruce, No worries, tape is fine as long as it is a strong bond. Would not be ideal if sucked into the motor. That's the fresh air engine intake. Below is an ebay offering from Alpine Performance in Hollindale Fl. They can help you if this isn't the correct piece. They have a physical store too. ​​​​​​​Eric​​​​​​​​​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/224280483390?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0ZyHDzVUSHu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XzEAYnvlTf 2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY​​​​​​​(copy and past the listing)​​​​​​​

Old 02-05-2023, 03:19 PM
I'll give them a call. The only ones I found on ebay including that one - are for the V8 which is a one piece intake. The W12 is three pieces but I only need one section. Here's some photos. I'm trying to figure out how to access the connection under the cowl. Very tight!

Old 02-05-2023, 03:25 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BruceR
I'll give them a call. The only ones I found on ebay including that one - are for the V8 which is a one piece intake. The W12 is three pieces but I only need one section. Here's some photos. I'm trying to figure out how to access the connection under the cowl. Very tight! 
Indeed tight and a fuss to remove and install. I think....maybe the piece you require is the same on 1st Gen. and foward, anyhow Alpine will know.

Edit: U might have to remove the metal plate with a dozen or so torx fasteners for better accessibility.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 02-05-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:33 PM
I found 1st gen parts but they're different. 2nd gen part seems to be unobtainium but I'll call the dealer anyway. If it's not available maybe I can cut the accordion section out and maybe wrap a piece of thick rubber around it with clamps.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:14 PM
The local Bentley dealer took my order for the part and said it could take a few weeks to come from the UK. $163 seems high for a plastic tube but it's a BENTLEY plastic tube! They actually discounted it from the $267 list price so it's what an indie would pay if they ordered it.
I agree that removing the metal plate with all those torx fasteners is probably the way to go. I just hope I'm not opening a can of worms by doing that. When it comes in I may just take it to my guy and pay him to do it.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:24 PM
To close the loop on this thread, the dealer got the part so I picked it up and took it to my indie guy. $234 later and it's done. The main advantage to paying him to do it is that I didn't break anything else!

Old 07-31-2023, 10:04 AM
EJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud of
Just found the same issue in the same location on my '14 Speed. It looks like wear on the accordion folds, but there is nothing there to contact the air duct. Not very much wear yet so I am looking at either some black tape or dipping compound for tool handles. Any thoughts from the group?

Old 07-31-2023, 10:24 AM
My concern was that pieces of the accordion would detach and get sucked into the intake so I bit the bullet and bought the new one. Why this spot deteriorates is a mystery. It's right by the oil fill tube so maybe oil was spilled on it during an oil change and caused deterioration? Just guessing.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:52 AM
EJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud of
Not worried about that as this is the dirt side of the air filter, but I take your point about additional material in the intake. My thoughts were centered aroung the air temp differential where the driver side would be ingesting some air from the engine compartment vice the clean air inlet in front of the radiator. First application will be some black 100 MPH tape over the accordion folds.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by EJag66
Not worried about that as this is the dirt side of the air filter, but I take your point about additional material in the intake. My thoughts were centered aroung the air temp differential where the driver side would be ingesting some air from the engine compartment vice the clean air inlet in front of the radiator. First application will be some black 100 MPH tape over the accordion folds.
When I tried taping it before the part came in, it didn't adhere well to the accordion section and I couldn't actually get the tape underneath without it sticking on the way it because it's such a tight fit. I also didn't like the look (although I'm the only one who'd ever see it) of a duct tape repair on my otherwise pristine car. Someday when it's time to sell it there'd be questions to answer!
If I hadn't been able to get the part my plan was to cut out the accordion section completely and bridge the gap with a piece of rubber secured by hose clamps. Because of the irregular shape I'm not sure how well that would've worked.