Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Fuel Level Sensor 4 Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 07:26 PM
tmobileguy is infamous around these parts
Fuel Level Sensor 4 Error

Hey guys, LONGGG time lurker but I think this is my first actual post. I have read Johnny Hotspur's whole rebuild thread (which was simply amazing) and I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can help me.

I have an 07' Flying Spur that I bought that needed an engine. We replaced the engine (twice), so I am no stranger to this car. I also have two 05' GT's that I will be redoing in the future, but alas, onto my 07'..
So my fuel gauge is dead (although it did come on one day for 5 min and then went dead again)...When I read the instrument cluster module with my Autel scanner, I get an error that says no connection with fuel level sensor 4. When I read live data, I can see the 3 other fuel sensors reporting around 5 gallons and the 4th is 0....Also, the ohms readings on the first 3 are between 70-72 ohms and the 4th is reading 510 ohms....
I looked and saw that this car has four fuel level sensors, two that look cylindrical, and two that look like lever arms with floats...
Does anyone know which one Sensor 4 is?
Also, anyone have any trouble shooting tips like ways to determine whether it is the fuel sensor, the wiring, or maybe the module itself?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2023, 05:34 PM
Anyone? Nobody knows which fuel level sensor is #4?

Old 03-21-2023, 07:51 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @tmobileguy ,
Here are some wiring diagrams and part numbers for the floats, being that you have a fault for float number 4, it will be on the left side facing the trunk, and being that float 4 / C00236 / G393 is listed as "lower", it will be as shown as number 5 on the parts diagram, as the lower unit is the rod with float attached, and not the cylinder float.

I would also check the connections on both sides of the left connection plate shown as number 6 on the same parts diagram, as I also had float and pump issues during my GT rebuild, and it turned out to be just the plates, as all worked after the swap, I tested the connections of the blades on each side with an ohm tester, and they showed open.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-21-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:48 PM
Thank you for the reply Johnny. Extremely helpful! Couple more questions...

So I pulled each plug from both of the fuel pumps located in the trunk and here is what happens...
Large one on Passenger Side - Sensor 1 goes to zero
Small one on Passenger Side - Sensor 3 goes to zero
Large one on Drivers Side - Sensor 2 goes to zero
Small one on Drivers Side - Sensor 4 was at zero and obviously stays at zero....

Is there a way to test from the plug whether or from the pump whether that sensor is working or not? So I know if its the sensor or if its somewhere down the line like a wire or maybe the connection to the Instrument module?

Also is the instrument cluster the actual instrument module #17 that the computer reads the information off of? Or is there a separate module that the cluster connects to?

Again thanks...