BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

2006 M5 or 2006 E55: Which is better overall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM
ol'school is on a distinguished road
Personally i would choose the E55.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WyattH
Keep in mind, also, you posed this Q to the BMW board. All replies are biased.

I'm sure you can get some coilovers for the E that both improve the ride comfort and improve handling. Nice wheels with good rubber can also adjust some handling.
I doubt it will come close to the M, but handling isn't the most important thing.

Since it is your only car, the M5 might be a good idea. I'm torn. Good luck.
I guess it depends on the person, but whether its my summer car, winter, rain , daily, weekend, track LOL, my suspension will always be FIRST priority and most important.. That is key to having FUN in a car, at least for me!

E55 runs on air suspension, there is a module to lower it which then handles a bit better, but dont know about coilovers or anything else, my friend has the module and YES I will admit its very understated as a car that actually handles pretty well but people have the impresion it doesnt.

Meanwhile the m5 has ridiculous handling for a car of its size and weight, its nutty flat out!

Benz's can handle very well though, I was in a friend Renntechd SL65, and the handling limits BLEW MY MIND when it was in sport, flat as a board and carved the tight twisty road up with no issue, got my respect!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Tom(Atl) is on a distinguished road
You would enjoy driving the M5 more, but passengers (the non-gearheads only) would be slightly more impressed with the E55.

When I was driving the E55, it was even more of a gas hog than the M5, surprisingly. I think you should get the 335i and save a ton of $$$.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
RobbieX50 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tom(Atl)
You would enjoy driving the M5 more, but passengers (the non-gearheads only) would be slightly more impressed with the E55.

When I was driving the E55, it was even more of a gas hog than the M5, surprisingly. I think you should get the 335i and save a ton of $$$.
Tom,

Did you have both an E55 and M5? If so, please tell me more about your experiences. Also, did you experience any reliability issues with the M5?

Thanks
Rob

Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RobbieX50
However, handling is also very important, since I do drive aggressively in corners on my commute and plan to attend 2 or 3 HPDEs a year.
If you ended up buying the E55, make sure this won't happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmbWkcI200

Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
I have driven an E55 very very hard, as well as the E63. With the most seat time been in an M5.

The E55 compared to the M5 in handling is a joke. The E55 DOES understeer, more so than the M. Does that make the M a better daily driver or a better car? who knows. But i for sure know which one id rather be driving.

That and the fact the E55 is a boaring place to be.
Of course, every M cars are born on the track and designed to be pure drivers cars. Yes, SMG may be not as smooth as E55's automatic but it is a total blast to drive.

Last edited by datax; 10-14-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Alex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant future
I'd suggest the M5 (slightly biased). I do have a lot of respect for the AMG cars - I am even considering a used E55 over my dearest E39 M5.

Whichever you do end-up getting, I hope you never come across dmoney and his C4S.

Last edited by Alex; 10-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Truble10 is on a distinguished road
Both cars are seriously fast. I had a 2005 E55 and it is a great car. The thing about the AMG, however is the design is over five years old. The model changed in 2003. The E63 has a very slight change but you are buying an outdated model with the E55. The M5 is still a current model that came out in 2006.

The AMG is most likely a better daily driver. You need to keep the RPM's up in the M5 to get the full effect where the AMG has a lot of low end torque.

Just something to think about.

As you can see there are very different views here. Forget what we say and get what YOU want. Both are great cars. In Scottsdale I see twice as many AMG's as M5's for whatever that is worth.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Martin, I didn't mean to imply that handling wasn't important.
Just that since it's his only car, no point in compromising every other aspect (aesthetics, comfort, speed, reliability, price, etc) just for handling.

I agree, it is extremely important. But the (albeit smaller than most assume) difference in handling between the two is not worth giving up the other benefits of the MB, perhaps.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:23 PM
ROCKETW19 is on a distinguished road
your only trackin the car 3 times a year other than that i cant see you using either cars handling abilitys on the streets. so i would go with the better looking E55 (witch i did) so so so so simple to mod it and blow away a M5. if you were at a stop light where most races happen it would be from 0-60mph or so. and the E55 would smash the M

Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 AM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by datax
If you ended up buying the E55, make sure this won't happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmbWkcI200

i think that sums it up nicely

i have looked at the same two cars and the conclusion i came to was that the M5 was lighter on its feet and just more entertaining to drive. the E55 is a beast in a straight line/on the highway. as far as the SMG is concerned you will be under warranty so if it were to fail you would be covered. the pano roof will squeak though so i wouldnt recommend it, gets very annoying.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
a good driver can make anything handle well...if you want torque and the street king title...grab the e55

if you want somthing thats a little more dynamic but definitely more touchy, go for the M5...I love both.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Salespunk is on a distinguished road
If you get the E55 look for the option package that includes the LSD. It will make a huge difference in handling for the car. Personally I prefer the M5, but you can't go wrong with either choice. Enjoy the search.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Fat11 is on a distinguished road
My $.02 - Both are great cars and the handling and performance debate can go on and on forever. It appears that you have done a great deal of research so it boils down to what is most important to you. If I were to choose, I would also consider the appearance of the vehicle. The upcoming scheduled E body style change will make the current style look very dated.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 AM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
I have owned both. I had a 2006 E55, 2007 CLS63 and a 2008 M5. I love the M5 and it is a much better car. The M5 is one of the best DD's I have ever owned. Given the choice again, it would be easy... M5

Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM
snapscan is on a distinguished road
IMO the E55 is the car to choose. I had a 2005 and loved it! The torque is totally addicting. I have had occasion to drive the new M5 on multiple occasions, and while it is a superb car, would still prefer the E55. Not to mention you can get a great price on an E55. 2006's are going for low 50's!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 M5 or 2006 E55: Which is better overall?