BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

2006 M5 or 2006 E55: Which is better overall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:08 PM
RobbieX50 is on a distinguished road
2006 M5 or 2006 E55: Which is better overall?

I can’t make up my mind between these two cars, so I need your help. Which is the best all around big power sedan? The car will be a daily driver that will also double as a taxi for my kids.

I am not considering the more attractive CLS55, because its back seat is much too small for adults and there are times I need to seat 3.

Here are my thoughts after brief test drives of both cars:

2006 E55: ($97k MSRP)
  • Tons of torque. The Benz leaves the M5 for dead out of the hole. I am assuming the M5 would catch up eventually.
  • I find the E55’s appearance much nicer and better balanced than the M5.
  • The car I am looking at has every option available including Panoramic roof and Distronic. It is a very luxurious car.
  • I prefer the interior of the E55. The M5's look kinda of weird in my eyes, though the quality of materials is top notch.
  • Modability of the supercharged V8 is a plus though expensive
2006 M5 V10: ($92k MSRP)
  • I LOVE the sound of the M5’s V10. It sounds so sweet and exotic.
  • The M5 feels gutless down low when compared to the E55. It does not run quickly unless you wind it out hard, but once you pass 6k it screams to redline.
  • The handling is more accurate and direct than the E55. No contest here.
  • The brakes are better on the M5, with much better feel.
  • According to threads I have read on other forums, the M5 should pull away from the Benz after 120. However, most of my driving does not exceed 120, but it is nice knowing a delimited car can go 200.
I also plan to start modding either car, so more power potential is a big plus. I love how the E55 just launches ahead when you punch the throttle. I can only imagine what this car can do modded. However, handling is also very important, since I do drive aggressively in corners on my commute and plan to attend 2 or 3 HPDEs a year.

Reliability is very important to me as well, even though both cars are warranted for several more years. I have heard the M5’s SMG transmission ocassionally fail and leave you stranded. Is this true and does it occur often?

It really is hard to get a feel of cars from a brief 30-minute test drive, so I am hoping some of you have much more experience with both cars. This E55 is selling for $63k and the M5 for $67k. Both cars have under 20k miles.

I know the M5 is the car of choice for the hardcore enthusiasts, but is it the best choice for an enthusiast’s daily driver, family car, stoplight dragger and occassional track car?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by RobbieX50; 10-13-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
From your post, it sounds like you need the E55.

Your points:
Nicer interior.
Nicer exterior.
Faster. With more mod potential.
Cheaper.
Reliable.

The M5's pros were handling and braking - - but you said this was a DD and a taxi.

If it's your only car, I would re-examine.
If it's a DD and you have another sports car, I would get the AMG.

Can't go wrong. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by WyattH
If it's your only car, I would re-examine.
If it's a DD and you have another sports car, I would get the AMG.

Can't go wrong. Good luck!
Wyatt,

Yes, this will be a DD and will be my only car. I recently sold my 996tt.

I will plan to attend maybe 2 or 3 HPDE's a year and know the M5 will be much better suited for this, but this is only 3 out of 365 days a year. However, I also like to drive hard around corners on my daily commute.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
vtgts300kw will become famous soon enough
it's only up to you.

you know the differences between the 2 cars so its you who needs to decide what is best for you.

mercedes will be better in terms of straight daily driving. but if you want a little more excitement ( which since you sold the turbo, you probably would ) with a car that is a completely respectable DD, then get the M5.

You will have ALOT more fun in the M5, ALOT more. The merc will just under-steer you into a tree.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:37 PM
FmG
FmG is on a distinguished road
M5 without a doubt.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:02 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
get the e55

If you do less than 10 DE's a year, drive your e55 up to the track and rent a full out spec miata for a couple hundred bucks + insurance. You can push the miata more than the e55 or m5 because you'll have the assurance that you won't wreck your Daily driver if you push too hard. I'm looking at picking up an e63 myself

Old 10-13-2007, 05:50 PM
DrwVIP is on a distinguished road
M5 hands down... Handles amazing, sounds great. and comfortably fit 5.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:55 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
M5 hands down and i love the E55, but that's for me.. The M5 is spectacular in EVERY category and tons of fun, so controlable with back end out, tons of power up top, just way more fun!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 PM
BIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the rough
E55. M5 is not that great and the transmission sucks for a DD.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
I went through this too, and for a daily driver the e55 is great. Somebody else said it best the other day, but basically a daily driver needs to give you the ability to point the car and shoot, and the M5 pales in comparison to the e55 in that arena. The E55 handling will drastically improve as your learn the way the car works and get used to it. It took me a few weeks to really find the limit of the 55 and once I did i was pretty impressed. I think people tend to hype the m5 handling a little bit, and you will be really surprised at how balanced the 55 really is. I am really really happy with my choice and I love my e55.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
The merc will just under-steer you into a tree.
See this is a perfect example of someone who doesn't really drive an e55 commenting on the handling. I'm not trying to be an *** here, but the e55 really doesn't under-steer anywhere near as much as people think. Not to mention if you can throttle steer at all its not even an issue.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttgangsta
See this is a perfect example of someone who doesn't really drive an e55 commenting on the handling. I'm not trying to be an *** here, but the e55 really doesn't under-steer anywhere near as much as people think. Not to mention if you can throttle steer at all its not even an issue.
Sorry but it is obvious you are VERY biased and have NOT driven an M5 too its limits... In comparison, THERE IS NO CAOMPARISON, sorry man, ive driven both very hard!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
vtgts300kw will become famous soon enough
I have driven an E55 very very hard, as well as the E63. With the most seat time been in an M5.

The E55 compared to the M5 in handling is a joke. The E55 DOES understeer, more so than the M. Does that make the M a better daily driver or a better car? who knows. But i for sure know which one id rather be driving.

That and the fact the E55 is a boaring place to be.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Keep in mind, also, you posed this Q to the BMW board. All replies are biased.

I'm sure you can get some coilovers for the E that both improve the ride comfort and improve handling. Nice wheels with good rubber can also adjust some handling.
I doubt it will come close to the M, but handling isn't the most important thing.

Since it is your only car, the M5 might be a good idea. I'm torn. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM
SMG failures??

Has anyone heard if the SMG tranny failure is a common occurance? Does this affect only the early e60 M5s or all of them?

One guy i spoke with in SoCal said his M5 stalled twice once in rush hour traffic in Downtown LA and had to have the car towed to the dealer both times.

Any M5 guys out there experience SMG failure?

Thanks
Rob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 M5 or 2006 E55: Which is better overall?