BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Pros and Cons of E46 M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:38 AM
dareupgang is infamous around these parts
Pros and Cons of E46 M3?

I was looking into buying an E46 M3 preferably 6 speed manual but smg will do as well. The car would have to be daily driver. Also are their any real competitors to E46 M3, I need rear seats. I thought about 996 but not too high on them

Old 12-04-2010, 01:00 PM
dsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud of
E46 M3s are one of the best cars out there in my opinion, especially when you can find them at great $$$. A close buddy has a 2006 white m3 with only 5500 miles on the car is looking to sell it, but I see that you are looking for a DD, this one is far from it. Fully loaded with mods, Turbos, everything has been done (Carbon engine bay, Full Carbon CSL interior, Carbon exterior, Brakes, Rims, Suspension...etc.) It use to be owned by Tony Kannan, race car driver.

Anyways, I think it really depends on your price range. The new 335 is a good DD, and easily modified.

Good luck with the search.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the response, as for modifying would throw some kw coilovers, after market calibers and rotors, exhaust, headers. I wouldn't want to modify motor too much as far as forced induction. It has to be daily driver want it to be little exciting with out being too much

Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
solekeeper is infamous around these parts
I have had my e46M for almost a year.

05, SMG tranny. I don't like saying how to say my car is running, but go get one (that should answer your question)

BTW, as most will say the SMG is a very expensive problem if problems do arise.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:40 PM
thanks for all the responses again

Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 AM
M5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud ofM5Master has much to be proud of
I had an 05 SMG m3 with competition and it was absolutely amazing. the most fun ive ever had in a daily driver. even though i have an e60 m5 right now i still miss it a lot

Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
You will get more replies at m3forum.net and e46fanatics.com. e46 M3 is a very capable DD.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dsu*
E46 M3s are one of the best cars out there in my opinion, especially when you can find them at great $$$. A close buddy has a 2006 white m3 with only 5500 miles on the car is looking to sell it, but I see that you are looking for a DD, this one is far from it. Fully loaded with mods, Turbos, everything has been done (Carbon engine bay, Full Carbon CSL interior, Carbon exterior, Brakes, Rims, Suspension...etc.) It use to be owned by Tony Kannan, race car driver.

Anyways, I think it really depends on your price range. The new 335 is a good DD, and easily modified.

Good luck with the search.
I know this car - please tell your friend to PM me with a price. I would love to make a deal with him

-John

And OP - My e46 M3 is hands down the best car I have ever owned for all around pleasure/practicality.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I had an 03'M3Cab with SMG, got rid of it in 8 months. Mainly did not like the squeeks caused by the convertible top and the seats are very uncomfortable for more then 30 minutes at a time. The smg was OK but would not get that tran again. At this price point I think a 6speed 335i with a ecu tune and maybe a little suspension upgrade would be a much better performer, more comfortable. better stereo/NAV, and still be a great DD. Just try one out and see before you make your decision. Good luck, either one is a thrill to drive.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
smshirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I had an 03'M3Cab with SMG, got rid of it in 8 months. Mainly did not like the squeeks caused by the convertible top and the seats are very uncomfortable for more then 30 minutes at a time. The smg was OK but would not get that tran again. At this price point I think a 6speed 335i with a ecu tune and maybe a little suspension upgrade would be a much better performer, more comfortable. better stereo/NAV, and still be a great DD. Just try one out and see before you make your decision. Good luck, either one is a thrill to drive.
Wow, I've never heard anyone complain about the seats. I have a worn out surgically challenged back and the seats in my M3 are the best I've ever had for highway driving. Did you have the fully adjustable sport seats? I sold my 996 and bought the M3 because i needed a back seat and a trunk for trips. I love the car, and in some ways it is better than the 996, but it's not a 911 and I find myself wishing I had the 996 back. but,As a sporty DD with enough room to carry golf clubs and luggage I don't think you can go wrong. I went with a 6 speed because I had heard so many bad things about the SMG, but have since learned more about it and believe the SMG would be better as a DD if you have to do a lot of rush hour traffic driving. It is a pain staying on the clutch on rainy days in bumper to bumper traffic. The M3 is a little harder to drive fast than the 911 but keeping the revs up for long periods of time is amazingly satisfying. The engine is remarkable for a street car. The 335 is great, and maybe a better choice as a DD, but I can't see myself ever buying a car with no dipstick!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM
acs-e36 is infamous around these parts
the e46 makes a GREAT DD... reliable, roomy and good performance. however get a 996 if you want a step up in performance imo

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
V8HAHA is infamous around these parts
E46's make great daily drivers. Ive owned a few and each one was solid. Do it and never look back!

Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 AM
dshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nice
Had an '03 M3 and absolutely loved it. I later traded it for an E55. But missed it dearly. I ended up getting a 997 to get that same sporty feeling back. I didn't feel that the current edition M3 had the same feeling.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Tattoo is infamous around these parts
I owned an '01 a few years ago, and I currently own an '04. These cars are very solid and have good power. They are an excellent choice for DD. The only problem that I ever had is that it doesn't raise many eyebrows. I tend to prefer flashy vehicles, and the M3 is pretty mundane. To me, it is an excellent low profile performance car. You know, the grown and sexy look.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smshirk
Wow, I've never heard anyone complain about the seats. I have a worn out surgically challenged back and the seats in my M3 are the best I've ever had for highway driving. Did you have the fully adjustable sport seats? I sold my 996 and bought the M3 because i needed a back seat and a trunk for trips. I love the car, and in some ways it is better than the 996, but it's not a 911 and I find myself wishing I had the 996 back. but,As a sporty DD with enough room to carry golf clubs and luggage I don't think you can go wrong. I went with a 6 speed because I had heard so many bad things about the SMG, but have since learned more about it and believe the SMG would be better as a DD if you have to do a lot of rush hour traffic driving. It is a pain staying on the clutch on rainy days in bumper to bumper traffic. The M3 is a little harder to drive fast than the 911 but keeping the revs up for long periods of time is amazingly satisfying. The engine is remarkable for a street car. The 335 is great, and maybe a better choice as a DD, but I can't see myself ever buying a car with no dipstick!

The seats were not uncomfortable for the the back. For me and my wife it was the very hard side bolsters pressing our seams from our blue jeans into our legs. And we are thin and short. Also the seat is not very cushioned on the deery rear, nor were most of the bmw's I had but this one was the worst. I dont think I had any seat choices with the cab, only the coupe could get the more supportive seats. I was so disspointed with the cab that I swore them off from then on. Maybe I will be open to another cab, but not in a sports car, just a gt cruiser like a SL, bently gtc, or e550 cab.
I also agree that the m3 coupe could be a great DD, but if price was the same I would chose the 335i.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of E46 M3?