BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Just bought an M6. Now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
futheman is on a distinguished road
Just bought an M6. Now what?

I bought a 2006 M6. Got a great price and it is in excellent condition with low miles. I want the focus of the modifications I do to be for the track. I will take it to the track once a month.

No idea where to start with these mods. I haven't owned a car in years and have been focused on motorcycle racing.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
bmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the rough
Coilovers, Sway Bars, maybe some new pads/rotors/brake lines. Tune/exhaust/pullies. Not to be ignorant, but you had a lot better choices for a track car with that money.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM
onurleft will become famous soon enough
I'd take it to the track stock before you do anything. My buddy had a stock M6 and even for a 4000lb car it does great out there stock..

Next i'd focus on getting it to breath. There's 5-10hp from just modifying the stock airbox and another 30-40rwhp + removing the primary cats and getting the car tuned. This will also make the stock exhaust sound very nice if you want to save some money for more track days.

After you've gotten some experience in it, i'd recommend doing suspension. KW V3's would be nice and paired with some wider/lighter wheels and tires it'll be a monster on a road course

Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I didn't buy it as a track car, but it will definitely see the track. I would rather focus mods that I do on track use rather than looking good on the street. I'm all GO before SHOW.

I thought about getting some dedicated wheels and track tires. Any suggestions? I have no idea for car tires. On my Aprilia RSV4 Factory, I run OZ wheels with Dunlop tires. Does OZ make a good track rim or is BBS better? What is a good DOT track tire?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm a member at the track so the track days are inexpensive.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 PM
bmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the rough
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

Old 06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
BRMRACER is on a distinguished road
Exhaust to let that v10 breathe!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Which exhaust? Akro?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I wouldn't worry about making the car faster until you are a faster driver. You're a motorcycle racer so I'm sure at some point you've been passed by a better rider on a slower bike. I used to race MX on a 450 Honda and I've been passed and left for dead many times by experts on 80s, 125s, 250s etc. You think Ben Bostrom or Nicky Hayden could smoke you on a bike half the displacment of yours? Consider changing tires and wheels, but you don't need all the go fast stuff until you can go fast. The car is plenty fast as it is.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I agree completely. Add to that, that I'm a horrible driver. I will get some professional help at the track. The concept of 4 wheels on a track is foreign to me. I'll get a better set of tires. The ones on the car aren't in the best shape for the road right now, so they'd be **** on the track. My first thought was to get dedicated track wheels and tires. Any suggestions on that?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
AMG101 is on a distinguished road
I run OZ wheels on my car, love them.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I'd love to give you advice on wheels and tires but that's above my pay grade. Pose that question on the 996 or GT2 board. There's a bunch of guys there that track their cars and will help you out. You can also check with your local BMW club for advice. BTW, post a picture of your car or it didn't happen

Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 PM
EV0LVE is a jewel in the roughEV0LVE is a jewel in the roughEV0LVE is a jewel in the rough
Toyo R888. Nitto NT555R.

Michelin Pilot Sport cups of course but they're pricey.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Biglife will become famous soon enoughBiglife will become famous soon enough
Futheman, congrats on the new car. My bud had a white M6 that I immediately fell in love with. If I had the cash, I would've picked one up at the time. He had a Meisterschaft on it that sounded unbelievable - pretty sure the hp gains are decent as well. Definitely look into that and Eisenmann.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Wheels and tires 1st. The stock wheels are not that light. I would get some BBS F1's but thats just me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought an M6. Now what?