BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Can't Decide...991S Cab or M6 Vert...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Arrow Can't Decide...991S Cab or M6 Vert...?

Let me just say that I have owned many BMW's in the past and loved them, although I feel they are too electronically controlled and are fat with unwanted items that you can not remove insert M6.

The 991 S Cab is really a fun car but how will it feel after a 3 hour drive over some rough roads...?

Can a few of you share a story of your thought process of how you came to choose your current M or 6 series car...?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
Let me just say that I have owned many BMW's in the past and loved them, although I feel they are too electronically controlled and are fat with unwanted items that you can not remove insert M6.

The 991 S Cab is really a fun car but how will it feel after a 3 hour drive over some rough roads...?

Can a few of you share a story of your thought process of how you came to choose your current M or 6 series car...?
The Porsche 911 is a simply phenomenal car. That said, it is not a good long distance cruiser by any means. Even the 991 with it's longer wheel base will feel harsh on all but the smoothest roads. I find I have a tolerance for this sort of thing for about an hour, then I want comfort.

If you think that you are going to be doing a fair bit of distance driving in this car, get the M6.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Yowzaah is on a distinguished road
I was in the same dilemma as you a year ago.... I've owned three BMW's in my life (two 5 series and one 7 series) and four Porsche's (one Boxster, one Carrera 996 and two 997 Carrera S) and was looking at both Carrera S cab and 6 series convertible a year ago... I went with the Carrera S.
Why??? They are two completely different cars... a 6 series is an elegance comfy sports sedan, nice to take the wife or GF out on long trips, a Porsche Carrera S.... now that's a different story. Porsche is a true bloodline sports car, you will be on edge the entire time and nothing like it.
I recently took a long trip in my Carrera S with my GF (thank God she loves my Carrera S), we drove from Laguna Beach to Napa (8 hours)... We had the best time!!! Top down, hear the engine growl as you cruise on PCH (highway 1) through Big Sur, there's nothing like it. I was amazed how comfortable we were for driving 9 hours (few stops at Santa Barbara, Carmel, Big Sur, and San Francisco).
I guess it depends on what you want? Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie???Hahahhaaaa!!!!!!

Good Luck : )

PS- My Carrera S is a daily driver, I average 20k per year and it is amazingly comfortable. I look forward to my drive in the Carrera S every morning, it's like going to Disneyland everyday!!! I never felt that way with my BMW.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Lamb04ever is on a distinguished road
Very tuff decision

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Cool

It's good to know that the 991 can be a comfortable driving car. I test dorve a 911 s Cab for about an hour, and when I was in traffic and seeing all the Behemoth SUV's on either side of me, I just wanted to get out and get out quick. I took the next off ramp and took side streets back to dealership.

It seems that comfort, for me wasn't the issue, as it was it's small footprint and lowness to the ground. I need to be safe and the M6 seems to be more practical and almost at super-car horsepower.

I think I still need to test out the R8 Spyder, even though I may be feeling the claustrophobia again...

Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
frozen997 is on a distinguished road
M6 is a Gt car. Large comfy and FAST ! The 991's are very nice but more of a true sports car .

Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
lgroveman is on a distinguished road
Tough Call

I have had 3 6 series, a 645 convertible and 2 M6 convertibles and currently own a 2012 turbo s cab. The 911 is an animal, unbelievable power and in the case of the turbos and 4's the AWD definitely adds to the sure-footedness of the car. With that being said for me it is very uncomfortable. I have a bad back (a L5-S1 herniated disc) and the pain is pretty bad. But I never had a problem in my M6. The seats in the bimmer are the best on the street hands down. And you also don't sit on the floor like in the 911. I might be forced to trade in my turbo for the new M6 and I am currently debating it right now. The 911 is a pure sports car - probably the best sports car you can drive on a daily basis. The M6 is a cross between a sports car and GT and in my opinion probably the best of both worlds but in neither case could you go wrong. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i haven't had the pleasure of owning a porsche (not in a very long time anyway) but when i decided to sell my beloved e39 m5 i did consider it...and ended up buying an m3 instead. i got most of the performance but still maintained much of the convenience and comfort. for me it was a good compromise--i can put two sets of golf clubs in the trunk, can pack for a vacation, or even put the rear seats down and put my mtn bike in the back. i still long for a twin turbo porsche but for now the m3 sort of fits most of the bill in between the much more expensive cars i really want.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
M6 is a 911 Turbo competitor, not 911S competitor. I think M6 wins hands down against the regular 911S, it's just a monster and you can easily get 600hp+ with just an ecu tune.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
BimmerFreak is on a distinguished road
M6 is such a better car

Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !sfhondapilot Is a GOD !
I kinda see the 991 vs M6 choice as left brain vs right brain. They seem (to me) to be polar opposites.

My 997TT with exhaust and suspension feels like a beast versus my civilized e46M3vert on OEM 19's. I was able to add the 997TT to the garage simply because the stablemates pretty much met all my other vehicle needs (people hauler / weekend snow trips / weekend sunny with seating for 4).

If you need a DD that holds more than 2, then easily the choice is M6.