BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

"Transmission Failsafe Error"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:55 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
"Transmission Failsafe Error"

Anyone hear of this on the new 7 series?

I'm on the highway today, and suddenly the car slows down, goes to 4000RPM and a gear icon comes on with the words "Transmission Failsafe."

3 weeks old, and time for the dealer. If this happens one more time, or if the dealer gives me a hard time in service, then BYE BYE 7. I hope this does not turn out to be a piece of **** like the 02 745.

I immediately called the dealer's service department, and the service guy said "PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY" and call a tow truck. I said Its drivable at 40mph, and its freezing here, are you out of your f*ng mind! Plus I had 1000 things i need to accomplish today.

So, any deals on Flying Spurs out there? This might be my first and last BMW. I might be overreacting, but I never had a new car breakdown....its NOT SUPPOSED to happen to new cars, IMHO!

Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
somebody told me once that "BMW" means Buy More Warranty lol

i hope you get this settled

Old 11-19-2005, 12:35 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Unfortunately Shank, that is very common for the 7 series. I am very fortunate that I have had a flawless car that has only had 2 things go wrong with it. A slow driver's door window which fixed itself and a slightly hard 1-2 shift when turning corners that a software upgrade fixed. Other guys have had endless problems with the car. Mostly 02 guys but some 03 guys. As far as 06, most guys are reporting issues with the logic 7 system, bluetooth integration issues, and some are reporting a problem with pinging and dieseling. The good news is that your problems doesn't sound like a common problem. The bad news is get used to having little problems. It's all part of the driving experience. The car still drives like no other.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned
Ferrarislave is on a distinguished road
That sucks shank, I hadn't had any problems with my 2005 5 series. A few errors with increased emissions warnings, but that was fixed with a software upgrade.

Didn't your Lambo have tranmissions failure warnings as well?

Old 11-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
Very unfortunate, in my experience all of our BMW's were more reliable than every other brand we've had.

Bad luck with transmissions in general this month for you Shank, I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

As for flying spurs, I may have something for you, I'll check into it.

Jeremy

Old 11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Sharif is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about the trouble, that's definately not a good way to start off....

From what I've read on the roadfly board there is a transmission upgrade for the 06 7's, maybe it's related to that.

My mother's 7 has about 4800 miles on it and it's never given any trouble so far. I'm with you, if this 7 gives trouble we won't be getting any more BMW's. Mainly because of what I am going through with my m3, separating trunk floors, and it's just flat out an electronic nightmare...

Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Sharif,

I actually saw and responded to your post about the trunk floor. What happened with that issue? I hope you didn't let them repair that again. You should copy your post here so other people interested in M3s new or used can hear some of the nightmares that people are experiencing. That was the first time I had ever heard of anything like that.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Same thing is happening with the new M5's. Just drive it normally and after you shut if off the error message should go away. If not, that's why you got warranty!

Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
The problems with the 7 were mainly the 2002's and some 2003's...... I am sure it is a VERY minor problem that can easily be fixed.....Good luck buddy.....

Lou

Old 11-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Sharif is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by 2thfixr
Sharif,

I actually saw and responded to your post about the trunk floor. What happened with that issue? I hope you didn't let them repair that again. You should copy your post here so other people interested in M3s new or used can hear some of the nightmares that people are experiencing. That was the first time I had ever heard of anything like that.

Good memory and timing

the car is at an excellent body shop having the whole trunk floor cut out and replaced. They are replacing the whole floor as opposed to welding cracks like last time. They are also replacing anything having to do with the rear end, shocks, bushings etc. Everything under warranty, no questions asked... The people who did the work last time didn't know what they were doing.

I let them repair it again because my lawyer advised it won't have any bearing on the case. Hopefully everything will be taken care of soon

Thanks for asking, I'll keep you updated.

Sharif

Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Banned
Ferrarislave is on a distinguished road
Let us know what happens with the car Shank!

Old 11-24-2005, 11:28 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
********UPDATE**********

that day I went to my office for the day. Came back, and all the error lights went away.

Wonder what caused that.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Paul S will become famous soon enough
More electronics = more problems.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Originally posted by Paul S
More electronics = more problems.
Yup and its not getting any better the new S class is bound to have a boatload of issues year #1 and maybe after

Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
zameil is on a distinguished road
It's a common problem even with the 3 series. Turn the car off let it sit for a minute and restart it.
Happens more in the cooler months.