Modify PdK transmission to manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 PM
dr bit will become famous soon enough

I'm getting huge regrets of having ordered my carrera s pdk instead of manual. I know the best and easiest thing would be selling the car and buying a new one, but I invested so much time and money with my configuration that this won't be paid at the moment of selling. The car has 4000 miles and is 2014. I rather pay the changes of modification of transmission if it is possible. Any one here has done it or knows anything about it?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 AM
986WANG is on a distinguished road
Not sure what you are thinking about. Are you contemplating on buying a manual transmission from a salvage 991 then transplanting the entire manual transmission system to your PDK 991?

This would entail sourcing a manual transmission from a 991 and selling your PDK transmission. Labor and head aches aside. This would be a very difficult swap.

Why not just sell the car and wait for a few years when manual 991 depreciates then join Porsche 991 band wagon again.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Seriously doubt you will find anyone here, and perhaps anywhere, who have swapped the PDK from their 991 for a manual tranny simply because they wanted to change.... Some stories of replacement PDKs, and of course repairs, but a full swap? Just doesn't make any financial sense no matter what lens you are looking through. Even if you did the work yourself, and sourced your parts from the cheapest junkyard out there, you are going to be out 30k US or more I would imagine. It is not a Chevy -- you would have to change the computers, configuration of the center console and maybe even the instrument cluster, sensors, wiring harness to name a few easy ones. On top of all of this, unless you intend to keep the car forever, you will have some serious challenges trying to trade or sell a car that doesn't match the build sheet or VIN reports....

Now, for kicks, and if you have the *****, sounds like an interesting DIY project..... Oh, and I just happen to have the shop instructions for how to remove the transmission and replace if you are at all serious about it. PM me.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
You might think you would rather pay to modify than sell... But it in the end make little financial sense...

Undoubtedly you could buy the parts, and swap them.. But consider all the other aspects.. Recoding of the car.. Who knows changes could be required to the ecu, mods to the wiring harness..

And in the end if you did manage to pull it off.. You have a Frankenstein car that no one in their right mind would ever buy when you eventually sell..

Not even sure the smog check implications in your state as the vin wouldn't match the configuration...

Just a hassle that would never be worth it...

Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 PM
tron786 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure the OP is just fooling with us.
He knows it's impractical both technically and financially and of course the warranty will fall away.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 AM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
Of course swapping transmissions makes zero sense. It's doable (anything is doable if you throw a pile of cash at it), but it's nonsense. The OP has 2 choices. Trade in for a 7MT or drive his PDK and pretend it's a 7MT (like most PDK drivers do).

Old 10-02-2015, 12:57 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by todd92
Of course swapping transmissions makes zero sense. It's doable (anything is doable if you throw a pile of cash at it), but it's nonsense. The OP has 2 choices. Trade in for a 7MT or drive his PDK and pretend it's a 7MT (like most PDK drivers do).
Love your comment!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:26 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tron786
I'm sure the OP is just fooling with us.
He knows it's impractical both technically and financially and of course the warranty will fall away.
He does? Sounded like a genuine question...

The one thing I've learned about on this board in particular (I've come to think of 6speed as the aftermarket wheels and exhaust board) is that you can't take for granted anyone's level of technical sophistication.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by todd92
Just consider there are a lot of 14 year old boys on this board pretending to be owners.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 PM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
This forum is still better than Rennlist, where the typical question is 'what color wheel best matches my bespoke cufflinks?'.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM
tron786 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scatkins
He does? Sounded like a genuine question...

The one thing I've learned about on this board in particular (I've come to think of 6speed as the aftermarket wheels and exhaust board) is that you can't take for granted anyone's level of technical sophistication.
Actually I was being "seriously" cynical
And I said "impractical" and not impossible

Old 10-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I thought it was gonna be much simpler this task, I spoke with ppl form Porsche, they said this is not possible.
Finance wise it would be better buying a 964 MT, rather than sell my 2014 991 and buy a new 991 MT.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:47 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
OP: did you let the forum fanbois talk you into the PDK, or what? It's a shame when you spend this much money on a car (or anything, for that matter) and end up disappointed. My condolences. BTDT.

scatkins: Not everyone here is a 14-yr old boy. Some of use are 13 yr-old girls.

I'll share a brief story: I ordered my '14 911S with the correct transmission (manual) and after a month or two, it spent a week in the shop for what turned out to be a broken shock. They gave me a newish Boxster S as a loaner. That "old" 6-speed manual is worlds better than the new 7-speed that they put in the 911. And so began the gradual disenchantment with the 911, which was sold this past May.

I think the idea of buying a nice 964 is excellent. Assuming, of course, that you want an old money pit with the pedals coming up through the floor (I'd love to have another one, but I think they've gotten too expensive) and you have room for both.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 AM
What do you think it should be a reasonable price for a good 964 c2-c4?