BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E46 M3 exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:18 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
E46 M3 exhaust recommendations

Hey all,
My little brother just got an 04 M3 cabriolet with SMG II in steel grey with red interiotr and black carpet...Although the car is nice (especially those factory 19s) it sounds like a lawnmower!!
What are some recommendations for a nice sounding exhaust?
I know titanium ones exist but they are too pricey as he is mainly interested in sound and not power or weight . Definitely no RESONANCE please
TIA

Old 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
KompressorKev is on a distinguished road
G-Power (non-export, export-version will likely have resonance),
Eisenmann (5 levels, including 1 titanium, but 3 of 5, i.e. race, meisterschaft, and meisterschaft ti will drone)
Supersprint (no drone at all, very quiet)
AA (wouldn't go american company)
AC-Schnitzer Figure 8 (very nice tone, not very loud, heard in person multiple times, very recommended)
Cargraphic (expensive, not sure about sound)
Hamann (made by Supersprint, quiet tone)
Hartge (heard on M5, very loud)
MK-Motorsport (haven't heard much, but successful company)
RDSport (made by Supersprint, quiet tone)
Remus (recommended, not very loud and no resonance)
Larini (quiet, not much information on it)
Kelleners (eisenmann-based)
Tubi (expensive, not sure about sound)
UUC (loud, probably resonance)

i'm sure there are a few more, but i can't think of them right now. hope this helps. as far as the "rasp", there have been hundreds of discussions on this all over bmw forums. i believe this is what you are talking about "lawnmower" people will say that the Euro Headers/Cat combination will eliminate it, but in truth they will not. i have spoken to owners with it, and it's not worth the money. the US does have an integral catalyst in the exhaust manifold, and the euro-version is external, but that alone will not rid it of "rasp". also, UUC has developed a product called the "rasp-x" which is supposed to eliminate it, but i am skeptical now because of the $1000 price and it is not proven yet. i had a UUC exhaust on my E36 M3 and boy it sounded awesome but lots of resonance. the truth is the rasp is from the valvetrain. high profile cams and accompanying valvetrain for an 8000rpm redline with a streetable idle will do that. hope this makes sense. because i like loud exhausts personally i would choose the G-Power export (supposedly sounds amazing, closest to a V8 the M3 can get), but it will have resonance i can almost bet on it. best bet is i would either go with AC-Schnitzer Figure 8, Remus, or Supersprint, if i did not want resonance. good luck with your brother's car and exhaust search.

ps - your car is awesome! i have sound clips of some exhausts if you would like to hear. you can reach me on aim if you would like to hear some clips. later!

Old 01-08-2004, 09:49 PM
sduquette is on a distinguished road
I have not heard any of the exhausts on a BMW, but I will say, I;ve been poking around for one for my coupe, and the AC-Schnitzer exhausts are hands down the best looking. I'm pretty much set on it for my car

Old 01-11-2004, 06:36 AM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
Dixis Titanium Exhaust (Japan) 5.5kg only vs stock 55lbs

Dyno Proven!

Let me know what you think! PM if you have any question!

Simon

Old 02-05-2004, 09:44 AM
WMP
WMP is on a distinguished road
Wow that Ti system is a work of art! Very light too.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
I have heard the Eisenman Race on my friends old M3. It sounded pretty good. I heard the Dinan on the m5, sounded really nice, however, the dinan system for the M3 converts 1 side of the dual exhaust into a dummy. Exhuast only exits from one side.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Kevlar is on a distinguished road
The problem you are talking about won't be fixed an exhaust... you need the mid-pipes.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/raspx/